Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
" I can do that for ya "
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had tried a spot hogg tape set up they had the calibration tape so I set my 20yd perfect put the tape on so the 20's matched up. The instructions say to sight in my 60 yd mark so I did and was dead on. Instructions say to use the sight tape that cooresponds with the letter on the calibration tape that my 60 is lined up with. Well here is the problem I hit my 60 almost a half inch before ever getting to the letters on the tape !!! I called spot hogg they said sorry they dont have tapes for set ups so fast. So I need to have one made. I will gladly pay for a quality tape that is sure to work. What do I need to do ??
I know some will say just shoot in your own marks, but in my situation that's time I need to spend elsewhere. Thanks guys !!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Just how fast are you shooting?

Regardless, both of my Hogg Fathers were purchased before they started including tapes. I use Software For Archers (OnTarget2) from www.pinwheelsoftware.com for all of my sight mark/sight tape needs.

Heck, I mess with things too often that ends up requiring me to make a new sight tape.

[email protected] (author of SFA's user name here) always suggests using 30 yards as the first distance you get, as if the first distance isn't good, you will not have a good sight tape. It can be easy to be off on your 20 yard mark. I just built a new tape this week and ended up using my 30, 40 and 50 yard marks as the calculated speeds for those all matched perfectly, and the marks it gave me for all of my other distances were spot on as long as I do my part, including the 35, 30, 25 and 20 foot bunny shots for a field round.

Good luck.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,700 Posts
I never used any of the set up tapes that came with HHA sights.

I always started off with a black tape, placed small marks as I did the walk back thing, then matched up one of the sight tapes to it.

Makes it easy and spot on.

Skeet.

·
Registered
51,108 Posts
Same here never use the tapes. Make any change or adjustment to your bow and the marks are out the window. So I use a blank tape pencil in the marks I want. If I make a change erase and put in the new mark.

·
" I can do that for ya "
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just how fast are you shooting?

Regardless, both of my Hogg Fathers were purchased before they started including tapes. I use Software For Archers (OnTarget2) from www.pinwheelsoftware.com for all of my sight mark/sight tape needs.

Heck, I mess with things too often that ends up requiring me to make a new sight tape.

[email protected] (author of SFA's user name here) always suggests using 30 yards as the first distance you get, as if the first distance isn't good, you will not have a good sight tape. It can be easy to be off on your 20 yard mark. I just built a new tape this week and ended up using my 30, 40 and 50 yard marks as the calculated speeds for those all matched perfectly, and the marks it gave me for all of my other distances were spot on as long as I do my part, including the 35, 30, 25 and 20 foot bunny shots for a field round.

Good luck.

Im 350+ fps.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Save yourself a lot of time and frustration in the future and just purchase OT2. I put it off for a few years and finally bit the bullet. After using it a couple times, I wish I had done that a long time ago. JMO

·
Registered
859 Posts
Another vote for OT2. Great software and produces very accurate sight tapes SO LONG AS YOU ENTER ACCURATE DATA. That's the key. Use the instructions that come with the S/W regarding what to measure in your setup and it will produce very accurate tapes.

·
The pointy end...
2,370 Posts
You create tapes on rcherz.com
It's free and couldn't be easier. Just put in the millimeter + clicks sidemarks and you're good to go.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
XSight is another free program and I have used it for a few years. I made a mistake before by stating I had purchased OT2 and it was actually "Archers Advantage". I have heard good things about both but a friend has Archers Advantage and it was really quick and easy to learn. I wished I had purchased it a couple years ago instead of being CHEAP and just using the free stuff. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
51,108 Posts
Im 350+ fps.
Sorry but gotta asked, is that a calculated figure or an actual figure? If your going to use these programs the figures can not be guessed off of IBO advertising of the bow companies.
You never did give any of your specs on your setup.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
OT2 gets my vote. I shoot in 30 and 60 yards and take a micrometer enter the precise spacing between the 2 and cross check with what the program says my marks should be. Then I print the spread and go back to 80 yards and walk in to 20 to make sure I am spot on. If my 80 is on in most cases the rest of my mark are perfect. OT2 tapes are far superior t0 pre manufactured tapes

·
" I can do that for ya "
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry but gotta asked, is that a calculated figure or an actual figure? If your going to use these programs the figures can not be guessed off of IBO advertising of the bow companies.
You never did give any of your specs on your setup.
Specs are Bowtech RPM 360 @ 30" draw 70lbs 360 gr Easton Hexx 330's

·
Registered
768 Posts
I start with masking tape make my marks then buy a pack of HHa dial tapes. But one tape is never right I end up cutting up like 3 tapes take the 20-30 from one tape 30-40 from another matching my marks then put one of the clear tapes over top. This was my best result

·
Registered
943 Posts
Can someone please explain to me how you actually print the tapes? My hha came with a few blank tapes that they specifically label as printable but i cant see how you would print it one the tape

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,557 Posts
Can someone please explain to me how you actually print the tapes? My hha came with a few blank tapes that they specifically label as printable but i cant see how you would print it one the tape
Not sure why you mean by "print a tape" for your HHA. Usually, the HHAs come with a sheet of pre-printed tapes and then you shoot in 2 distances and match up your marks to the sheet to select the matching tape. Then just cut out the matching tape and stick it to the HHA wheel.

For the programs (like OT2), you'd shoot in 2 marks, let the program calculate a velocity, then print a tape for that specific velocity on your printer.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
So I had tried a spot hogg tape set up they had the calibration tape so I set my 20yd perfect put the tape on so the 20's matched up. The instructions say to sight in my 60 yd mark so I did and was dead on. Instructions say to use the sight tape that cooresponds with the letter on the calibration tape that my 60 is lined up with. Well here is the problem I hit my 60 almost a half inch before ever getting to the letters on the tape !!! I called spot hogg they said sorry they dont have tapes for set ups so fast. So I need to have one made. I will gladly pay for a quality tape that is sure to work. What do I need to do ??
I know some will say just shoot in your own marks, but in my situation that's time I need to spend elsewhere. Thanks guys !!
Give me your Chrono FPS, Your Center peep sight to sight pin measurement in 1/16ths and your Center Peep sight to your Centerline on your arrow in 1/16ths! I'll make you some for a buck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts