Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have killed 2 toms in the last week and want a different wat to cook em besides the ol crock pot style. anyone wanna offer some suggestions? i was thinking something with some zing to it. maybe fried somehow?grilled? turkey parm?:darkbeer:

oh btw heres the pics, first time i have ever tagged out

may 2nd, 9" beard, 1" spurs. 2 yr old

may 6th, 9 1/2" beard 1 1/4" spurs 3 yr old

:teeth:

·
Beer Whisperer
11,212 Posts
The people's choice of all the ways I've made mine is to slice into 1/2" or so thick strips across the grain and soak overnight in McCormicks Mesquite Marinade dry mix then grill it hot and fast to keep it from drying out. The dry marinade mix uses some olive or veggie oil and helps keep the meat from sticking to the grill or drying out. You can also use Italian dressing as a marinade but the Mesquite has a little more kick & zing IMHO.

BTW...nice bird!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! man that sounds good, i have several marinades on hand i might try

·
Beer Whisperer
11,212 Posts
thanks! man that sounds good, i have several marinades on hand i might try
If you're grillin', it's easy to overcook it and dry it out. You could try several marinades and have your buds over for a turkey tasting shindig. Beer er.... refreshments optional of course! ;) :darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well we got a big family dinner tomorrow nite and was thinkin of cooking my turket for it, might use 2 or 3 types of marinade and see who likes what the best.

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
i just make spedies and use lupos chicken marinade. taste good to me:darkbeer:

i got to throw my bird in and cook it up. got one of mine on thursday:D

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just make spedies and use lupos chicken marinade. taste good to me:darkbeer:

i got to throw my bird in and cook it up. got one of mine on thursday:D
used the lupos chicken bbq, i love that stuff, lupos makes the best marinades period!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Cut the brest into 1.5" strips/steaks roughly.Marinade in italian dressing for two days,wrap bacon around them,grille.Dressing keeps it pretty moist.Good stuff..

·
Registered
889 Posts
Two ways to go. Enject it with a top notch marinaide and a good rub I've got a few one with brown sugar for a nice sweet taste the other with Cajun type spices for a kick. Then slow smoke it. The other way fry that bad boy, gotta ha e the equipment for it, it's totally worth the trouble to fry it turn out great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I usually love it deep fried after marinating in italian dressing and then rolled in a flour cracker crumb breading. But I tried a new one the other day that turned out great.

Take your breast and flour, salt an pepper and sear in olive oil. Then place the seared meat in a crock pot on low with large slices of vidalia onion, half a brick of cream cheese, cream o'mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth added as the liquid is cooking out through the day. Slow cook all day and enjoy with mashed 'tators and use the soup mixture as your gravy..........INCREDIBLE.

·
Registered
24,952 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
we cook ours in a garbage can, yes garbage can. put a stick in the ground about 2 to 2 1/2 feet off the ground. throw a wad of foil on the top of the stick a little bigger than baseball sized. slide turkey on the stick. put aluminum garbage can over bird. charcoal on top and around base of can. 6 hours later you can call yourself a real red-neck! :teeth:

·
Embrace the suck!
7,892 Posts
Bacon Wrapped

Separate off the little tenderloin that is next to the breast bone on each side. Rub them in 1 part Tony Chachere's seasoning of your choice and 1 part Famous Dave's Steak and Burger seasoning. Place them in a tupperware container or ziploc bag over night. Before cooking, wrap them both in bacon (I prefer Plumrose smoky maple or applewood flavor), using about 4 slices to cover each tenderloin. Start at one end and wrap one slice at a time, stabbing each slice of bacon with a toothpick at each end to hold them on. Grill on low (about 350) turning them often until the bacon is done. Be very careful that the bacon grease does not ignite and scorch your meat!!! Pull out the toothpicks and eat both of the tenderloins, do not share with anyone. You killed this bird and you deserve to eat it. I usually use the rest of the breast meat for turkey jerky, but you could use it for one of the other recipes suggested by everyone else.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like turkey pot pie.

·
DefiantShooter
10,943 Posts
Big thing with wild birds, is not to over-cook...Lot of times I'll pluck the breast to keep skin on and smoke 'em, or skin and make turkey strips...

Soak in milk, dip in egg and season (Cajun) then roll or shake in bag with Panko....Deep fry and watch out, gone in 60 seconds! :shade:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts