Archery Talk Forum banner

I need a spine check please

683 23
Im having trouble getting my pinwheel software back instated and i need a spine check please on my hunting bow.

TRX 34 29" DL 80% easton ACC 3-60 27.75" bare shaft measurement, G nock and standard rps aluminum insert

200gr VPA

I was at 50lbs and i believe good there. I bumped it up to 54lbs and fixing to peg it right on 55lbs and leave it there for good. Am i good there at 55lbs?

Just so ya'll know im at 20yrds all the time over a feeder and shoot hogs hence the heavy point, don't care about speed they ain't jumping strings at 20yd, just pushing through these tough animals is difficult.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gold Supporting Archer
11,541 Posts
I shot ACC 28.75 length 27.5 draw but @ 70 pounds and 100 grain head.

I think and always have thought pig hunting big boar hogs takes a heavier set up to penetrate that shield.

You’re @ a 340 spine. Might be a bit weak as you climb up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,816 Posts
Sounds like you already have the arrows. Just shoot them and see how they work for you. Nothing to loose and you don't need a program to see that. If you don't already have the arrows start looking for a different shaft. Easton discontinued the ACC line of shafts a little while ago.

·
Registered
92 Posts
@evox thanks, that’s what I more or less assumed since you can tune compounds pretty flexibly. I like to tinker with stuff so pinwheel is enticing but I can’t install it on my laptop without jumping through some hoops since I run Linux and not Windows.

I think I’m on the edge of 250-300 spine, running with about 230 total up front on a 29” arrow at 60-65# based on a few different online calculators (310 IBO if I don’t upgrade my bow). Seems like 70# and/or getting a bow shooting above 330 puts me more towards a 250 but I don’t plan on shooting 70#. Wondering if 300 might net me some more forgiveness and it shaves a bit of weight.

·
Registered
54,816 Posts
@evox thanks, that’s what I more or less assumed since you can tune compounds pretty flexibly. I like to tinker with stuff so pinwheel is enticing but I can’t install it on my laptop without jumping through some hoops since I run Linux and not Windows.

I think I’m on the edge of 250-300 spine, running with about 230 total up front on a 29” arrow at 60-65# based on a few different online calculators (310 IBO if I don’t upgrade my bow). Seems like 70# and/or getting a bow shooting above 330 puts me more towards a 250 but I don’t plan on shooting 70#. Wondering if 300 might net me some more forgiveness and it shaves a bit of weight.
250 will be too stiff. Dispite what you read yes too stiff can be almost as bad as too weak. Also just my ooinion you need to cut back some on the front. People get way too obsessed with a heavy foc. It does not do much other than weaken the shaft.

·
Registered
92 Posts
@Dale_B1 I agree and thanks for confirming my spine suspicions. I do have noticeably better flight and the “twang” my bow had after each shot mostly disappeared going heavy. I recognize the improvements aren’t just from changing my arrows and are actually from getting my bow tuned and shooting form improved but I probably wouldn’t have figured all that out without jumping down the “FOC rabbit hole”.

Eventually I’m going to shave around 100 grains off the build since around 475-500 grains is where I’d rather be instead of 560-590. But buying the shafts and new BHs isn’t in the budget for this coming year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts