Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year bowhunting and before I get arrows I’ve been using weight, FOC, and speed calculators but I can’t get results that I like. I will be shooting 55 pounds with a 27 inch draw and I want around a 15% FOC arrow that’s at least 410 grains with a 125 grain fixed blade broad head and I want 270+ fps. The problem that I keep running into is that I could get a 438 grain arrow with 14% FOC but according to the calculator I will only get 242 fps and to get my desired speed I have to get the weight below 400 grains. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
This is my first year bowhunting and before I get arrows I’ve been using weight, FOC, and speed calculators but I can’t get results that I like. I will be shooting 55 pounds with a 27 inch draw and I want around a 15% FOC arrow that’s at least 410 grains with a 125 grain fixed blade broad head and I want 270+ fps. The problem that I keep running into is that I could get a 438 grain arrow with 14% FOC but according to the calculator I will only get 242 fps and to get my desired speed I have to get the weight below 400 grains. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance.
I really like Victory VAP TKOs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Different people interpret FOC in different ways ….. but the best way I found was to distribute that weight on the front…so for example I would use a 75grain insert or outsert & a 125grain head to get to my 200grain tip….instead of using a straight 200grain tip.

Since arrows with broadheads are heavier on the tip & are longer to accommodate the broadhead they need to be stiffer than normal and shooting at 55lb with smaller draw, a slower 7inch brace bow…you can’t expect miracles with speed…..I would recommend crank it to 60lb and use the ‘Easton HEX 330spine’ arrow with the 75grain HIT inserts.

Throw the Calculators away and stop over thinking it…..& just go hunting.:)

Reactions: Dafis

·
Registered
812 Posts
I don't know if this is a true cry for help or just post count padding, but your big problem is thinking you can choose an arrow that has any significant impact on the KE produced by your bow. The KE that your system has is essentially independent of your arrow. Once you've decided on an arrow mass (in this case 410-gr.) your arrow speed is more or less set.

Changing your arrow mass by a few percent will have almost no impact on the KE of your setup. Changing your FOC will have essentially none. All this means that you're asking for something you can't have. You want to increase your speed with a 410 grain arrow? Shoot a heavier bow. End of story.

By the way, don't rely on archery calculators for crap. Archery calculators are some of the worst myths on the internet.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Or get a faster bow - problem - those T rex arms of yours and a 27 draw are always going to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Your a short draw. You only have one option.

Buy a faster bow with a higher ibo speed. Your going to want something that ibo's in the 340 fps range at 60lbs of draw.

I'm a 27 1/2 inch draw and shoot a speed bow. My arrows are at 550 grains and still going in the 245fps range.

Diffrence is I'm shooting a aggressive camed speed bow.

But with a short draw like ours. Your never going too be happy with the speed you can make. Best too up the weight,foc and use fixed blade heads.

·
Registered
Until I get paid to advertise my gear, I’m just gonna say I use telekinesis.
586 Posts
Question, why are you so worried about speed? With your draw length and draw weight I think you need to be a bit more realistic about what you should expect.
Remember, the formula for happiness is Happiness=Reality/Expectations.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts

You can't get around the laws of physics, at full draw your bow at your specs is only going to store a set amount of potential energy, and you can't get more kinetic energy than the potential energy you have stored.

Only to get more speed from a given arrow weight is to increase the potential energy stored... Adding draw length, but this is a horrible idea since your accuracy will go to crap, here you MIGHT gain about 10fps per inch and since your hopes are an additional 30fps or so...

Next is higher draw weight, but here you are limited by what you are physically capable of... Not during the summer on flat ground and in good posture, but bundled up during winter up in a tree in awkward body positions and "cold bore" [aka no warm up shots]. Plus, with this approach you MIGHT add about 2fps per pound increase, and again since you are looking for 30fps...

Third option, a faster bow- something with more area under the draw force curve... Something that gets to full poundage sooner, stays there longer, and has a shorter valley and lower let off/higher holding weight... This sounds great BUT a more aggressive cam almost always "feels" like you are drawing more weight than you actually are; if you can only handle 55# you may have to drop to a lower poundage to draw a faster bow during hunting conditions.

The real question- Why 270fps? Game has been taken at far slower speeds for thousands of years. The difference between 240fps and 270fps at 40 yards is less than p0.06 seconds, average human blink is typically in the range of 0.1 and 0.15 seconds...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a 26 1/2 inch draw length so I have a 450 grain arrow out of an ibo bow 320 fps I’m happy with the speed I get because my bow is quiet and accurate. Remember your still faster than traditional. Other than that get a speed bow and turn it up

·
Slinging Arrows
1,558 Posts
Can’t beat physics. You want more speed for a given weight of arrow. The only solutions are more draw weight or longer draw length
pulling 55# and 27" you want a 270fps arrow that weighs 410+gr? to be blunt, that's a pipe dream. Maybe at 65-70#

Reactions: Smada962

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm shooting 55lbs 26 inch draw, 575 grains , probably getting around 200 fps. Your 242 fps if fine for hunting as long as you limit your range to under 25 yards.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Look…. Your set-up will kill most large game as been suggested. Changing to lighter arrows to gain speed is going to weaken the spine of the arrow and cause you more issues. The Powerstroke of your bow according to your Draw length (27inch) and brace height is about (7&3/4 which is measured to the front of the riser for powerstroke measurement) is at about 19 &1/4 inches which indicates nothing to do with speed compared to bows that have a 23inch + Powerstroke which requires a longer draw length & shorter brace height.

Your ONLY way to gain more speed is to have a lower let-off. Crank it to 60lb, get lower let-off & use the ‘Easton HEX 330’ arrow with 75grain insert & 125grain heads. I use the REXPID ‘Nuri’ heads which glides thru the ribcage of Water Buffalo.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts

Just a joke :)
But anywho i think most said it already, just shoot... some numbers for ya taking what you said and figuring 20 yard shot.

t = d / s and soo
20 yards at 270 ft/s = 222 milliseconds or .222 seconds
and
20 yards at 242 ft/s = 247 milliseconds or .247 seconds
giving you a Whopping difference of 45 milliseconds or .045 seconds
Reaction time estimated of said deer .. ehh dont matter they are quicker than you think and can still jump your string even if you shot at 350fps :ROFLMAO:
enjoy sir!

I enjoy this one every year :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Start lifting weights....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts