Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Vendor
16,106 Posts
Can’t beat physics. You want more speed for a given weight of arrow. The only solutions are more draw weight or longer draw length
F=M x A. There are only two variables.

If mass stays the same you have to increase acceleration. That means higher draw weight or draw length.

·
Registered
Elite Kure
693 Posts
Dont chase a magical foc number

put somethe most weight up front that gives u good arrow flight and use a good cut on contact broadhead

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here's one tip.. don't listen to the guys telling you to jump 15lbs up to 70lbs.. if you try going from 55 to 70 you will most likely hurt yourself or shooting will suffer greatly just by jumping to that. Yes going to 70 will get you more speed but to be honest, with the ibo of your bow being 318 even at 70lbs you'd be pushing getting your goal. you have enough of everything at your current set up to kill deer. Don't chase the speed number unnecessarily, ensure the rest of the setup is correct and then get practicing.

·
Registered
Elite Kure
693 Posts
I started out at that weight with that same bow

just shooting over time u will get stronger

lifting helps too. I could pull 80lbs now if i thought it was necessary

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,784 Posts
I don't know if this is a true cry for help or just post count padding, but your big problem is thinking you can choose an arrow that has any significant impact on the KE produced by your bow. The KE that your system has is essentially independent of your arrow. Once you've decided on an arrow mass (in this case 410-gr.) your arrow speed is more or less set.

Changing your arrow mass by a few percent will have almost no impact on the KE of your setup. Changing your FOC will have essentially none. All this means that you're asking for something you can't have. You want to increase your speed with a 410 grain arrow? Shoot a heavier bow. End of story.

By the way, don't rely on archery calculators for crap. Archery calculators are some of the worst myths on the internet.
Great post^ and right on the money! You are wrapped up around insignificant factors. 25g of arrow weight…..and/or a few points of FOC doesn’t make a lick of difference.

As folks are telling you; drop arrow weight or increase bow weight To increase speed.

If you are worried about penetration, a very efficient BH solves that.

Reactions: SaltWaterChews

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't know if this is a true cry for help or just post count padding, but your big problem is thinking you can choose an arrow that has any significant impact on the KE produced by your bow. The KE that your system has is essentially independent of your arrow. Once you've decided on an arrow mass (in this case 410-gr.) your arrow speed is more or less set.

Changing your arrow mass by a few percent will have almost no impact on the KE of your setup. Changing your FOC will have essentially none. All this means that you're asking for something you can't have. You want to increase your speed with a 410 grain arrow? Shoot a heavier bow. End of story.

By the way, don't rely on archery calculators for crap. Archery calculators are some of the worst myths on the internet.
It depends on the calculator to be honest. Some are hit and miss or outdated but some others are fine. However just like everything else in life, common sense has to be exercised. The calculators are a guide, not a bible and far too many treat them as the latter. They can give you a great idea of a starting point but just like everything else in this sport, we are all different and no one recipe will give the same results across multiple shooters. I find the calculators do give a far more accurate starting point than the manufacturers charts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lighter arrow = more speed
Heavier bow = more speed

you can't change the speed of a 410 gr arrow by moving the weight around. It sounds like you have never shot anything with a bow, and are overthinking it based on things you have read. There are plenty of guys on here shooting big elk without crazy heavy arrows or super fast.
Placement of the shot is going to be more important at this point. Make good shots at close range and you're set.

·
Registered
812 Posts
It depends on the calculator to be honest. Some are hit and miss or outdated but some others are fine. However just like everything else in life, common sense has to be exercised. The calculators are a guide, not a bible and far too many treat them as the latter. They can give you a great idea of a starting point but just like everything else in this sport, we are all different and no one recipe will give the same results across multiple shooters. I find the calculators do give a far more accurate starting point than the manufacturers charts
The dynamic archery solutions calculator is decent. Almost all the others I've used are junk. To be fair, I've not used any of the for purchase archery software, so I can't say if those work well or not. I'm really strictly speaking of online calculators like the backcountrybowhunting.com calculator, which is really terrible over extended ranges of arrow weight.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Stop chasing unicorns. Get a 400-450 grain arrow that tunes from your bow with a broadhead. Forget speed and FOC. It will be fine.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Forget about speed.
My daughter blew thru a buck last year with a 50lb draw weight and 25" dL.
Probably going all of 225fps and maybe a 350g arrow...perfect shot and went 50 yards.
Focus on making good shoots

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
1,047 Posts
x bow

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You could go through arm lengthening surgery. Dey cut your bones in half and stretch your arms. You will look like Clyde but you at least have a longer draw

·
Registered
636 Posts
Random thought.... maybe try the Easton 6.5 arrows. They are faster than an Access because they are lightweight, and it's pretty easy to get the FOC in the range you are targeting. It will be sub 400 grains however, but if you add a heavier insert and broadhead, you might get close to 400g with a high FOC.

I've found I can pickup around 15fps using those arrows over the Access. They are better for 3D, but lighter hunting they would work, like whitetail, turkey, and similar. There's also a "hunter" version that is a little beefier, but still much lighter than the Access.

Outside of increasing draw weight, maybe give that a try

·
Registered
413 Posts
Like many others have said, keep it simple. Assuming your current arrows are properly spined and your bow is tuned, screw on a Slick Trick and see how it shoots. Then go kill a bunch of animals and adjust based on your results. Most of the world's best couldn't tell you what their FOC % is.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
1 move your anchor point to the back of your neck

2 buy a PSE full throttle in 70 lb, 80 if they make it

3 shoot fast

Or 4, just shoot what you got and don't worry about it it'll be okay

21 - 40 of 60 Posts