Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this big whitie up at grandmas thats like a phantom and my guess is hes the biggest baddest whitie there were talking like something you'll see in a Cabelas catolog :shade:
But of course trying to find him is hard and trying to find a way to arrow him is even harder.
I havent even seen this guy but word on the farm and my dads buddy and my dad is hes been hanging around this spot along the crick bottom near the houses, like practicly my uncles back yard.
There is crap for spots to set up to arrow him that i know of and im not there enough to pattern this guy.
How do I get him if he made it to this season?
Id love to just go out and scout but when its 350 miles away you cant really just go up every couple weeks :eek:
Do I just hunt does till rifle opens up like I have been doing or is there away I might get him with a ground blind and a Martin?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If i were you i would get tpo maps and aerial photos and do most of my scouting before i even got there then once you get there go and confirm what you found on the maps. You can learn alot about an area that you have never even been to by using these maps.I suggest if you do not own a stereoscope you go buy one they are under 20 bucks with these you will be able to find trail types of hard woods which deer will be feeding on. you can find bedding areas , break lines, everything you need to know about an area.You can get this any wher they sale engineering or surveying equiptment.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Good posts.

In addition, PM me the GPS coordinates and I'll see if I can help you. :embarasse :D :wink:

I would say the best way besides topo maps is word of mouth. If your Grandma or Uncle see the buck they could write down the date, time of day, weather conditions, etc and relay that to you. Hopefully with that and the topo info and some luck you will have success. :thumbs_up Good luck.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Wait until the pre-rut-early rut ,this year mid too late Nov. Set up your groundblind with the wind in check where he has been seen "hanging around" and hunt all day for as many days as you can with your bow. Do not try to go in there and find his bed, rubs, ect.. You WILL bump him! I guess he is comfortable moving around that creek bottom within view of the houses during daylight hours.

He is there, you know he is there.

Rx bowhunter has a good idea with letting your relatives try to pattern him for times.

A deer like that will know if he is being hunted, he has much experience with this. He will know the diff. between you and your relatives. So keep your scent out of his area.

Good Luck. Keep us Posted.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So where can I get free topo maps?
I wish I had pics... When im up there on Labor day i'll have dad get some with his new digi camera ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts