Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed the arrow on both cams and they are leaning, both of them i guess. I have a Hoyt Rampage XT set at 67-68# and when i place the arrows on the inside, meaning if i am holding the bow to shoot will be the left side and the outside well that would be the other side. When i place the arrow on the inside the arrow is going away from the cable and if i place the arrow on the outside it goes underneath the cable. What would i have to do to get the cams straight??

Also should i wait until i do this and paper tune the bow to sight in the sight?? Im a newbi and i want to make sure i dont sight in and than have to re do it all over again. Also at the moment im shooting just to get the proper form, used to the bow, and practice even though im not sight in, i am shooting a little high left so im guessing most could come from the cams leaning??

Please help, thanks

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Would be a whole lot easier to learn if you have a pro shop that could show you what to do. Not much you can do about the bottom cam but if you can adjust the split yokes on the to cam so that they are leaning the same you should be in good shape. I'm assuming your checking cam lean while at full draw, if not you should be. Also, keep in mind you may have to make adjustments to resync the cams once you take care of the lean prob.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I just got the cam lean out of my first string replacement. But I am almost postive on all bows you will need a bow press. Also I built a home made draw board with a harbor freight winch. They say it should be check at full draw. If your super new and dont have the tools it probably makes sense to find someone good to help you either on here or at a a pro shop. I like things perfect within reason, I am a hunter. Not a tournment shooter. Read the nutsnbolts sticky to learn a lot! Your bow might not be off at full draw. Is it a new bow, take it back to where you purchased it and ask them. Good luck its not easy getting things just right, be patient. M

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im in the process of making my own draw board and press so i can do this things on my own, i have the DVDs from Michael Braden where he shows how to check CAM lean and he is doing it while the bow is in the press, not at full draw, he also shows for the problem he was showing the amount of twist he needed to make on the yolk so they could be straight or as straight as possible.

Should i wait until i get this little things resolved to dial in my sight?? Right now is as it came in the box. Thanks for the help so far guys.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would say shoot it through paper and see what if any tears your getting, but if you just started shooting your tears will more than likely be inconsistant anyway. I would suggest finding a good Hoyt dealer near you and just saving yourself some time and head ache. You can still learn to do it yourself but with the right pro shop it would be alot more painless.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only shop i have near by is always full and a little behind due to the fact is the only one, not to mention the guy knows his stuff but im not sure he is into the little details nor do i think he has the time. So that leaves me with doing it myself, anyways i like whenever i can do things on my own.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=25.855314,-80.132176

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My vote is to shoot it and see what your get. Then start learning how to do your own work. You are the BEST bow mechanic. Just need to learn some basics.....this is the fun part of the sport. Then your bow buddies will come to you for help. Buy good equipment. Start by maybe fletching your own arrows, get a Bitz. jig and have at it.
AT is a great source and you will find help here.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah im already in the process of building a press and draw board, already bought a bitz and also read and have handy the nuts and bolts plus the dvds from michael braden which i think they are reallu good and teach you a lot so you can do your own thing, so far until i get the press finished and the draw board i'll just shoot it and practice on proper form and stability, etc

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=25.855285,-80.132043

1 - 8 of 8 Posts