Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Illinois next yr. Where I will be hunting is strictly managed, they do not shoot anything less than 140 inches. I'm from Michigan, we do not see deer like that here everyday, how in the world will I ever be able to determine what's 140inches. I usualy guess pretty good, but seeing pics and guessing, and seeing the deer on the hoof and guessing are two diffirent things.

Any pointers you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings

·
wannabtradguy
15,320 Posts
hmmmm make sure it has a really good spread, really good tine length and mass. the deers body size makes his horns look small if he's 4 or older. just make sure he's a brute in other words. what part of Illinois you going to?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pike County, I know a farmer there...2,000 acres

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The best thing is to read up on it and look at photos. If your not quite sure don't shoot. On the other hand if you say "Oh my god, holy @%&#" its probably 140. Look at main beam length,mass, tine length. Long tines could make up for beam length and visaversa.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Pike County, I know a farmer there...2,000 acres
The best thing is to read up on it and look at photos. If your not quite sure don't shoot. On the other hand if you say "Oh my god, holy @%&#" its probably 140. Look at main beam length,mass, tine length. Long tines could make up for beam length and visaversa.
There's no deer here that big:teeth:

But in all seriousness, what he said

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
on a 10 pointer look at the crab claws and the brow tines. If they are short, his score will be too. 6 inch brows and 4 inch crab claws will get a decent massed deer to 150. Lots of variables of course but that's what I look for. Hope this helps

·
Registered
384 Posts
I know when your in the tree its pretty much the last thing on your mind but just try to break down the rack and add everything up to get yourself close, hopefully there wont be any doubt and a big will walk in goodluck

·
Registered
84 Posts

I figure our mature bucks all start at 100 inches and then add the lenth of the tines. Not perfect but helps me count faster. You will need at least 8 inches on the g2s to get to 140 on a 10 point. 16 14 10 10 IMO

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info........:)

I will go with you and show you a 140 inch deer if i can hunt also; kinda a guide service ya know lol have a great time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.