Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was practicing my spots tonight. Did pretty good with a 30 arrow round. I take a break, get something to drink (perhaps I should have munched on something too?) and then get back up to start shooting a 60 end round. Half way through I start shooting low. At first I chalked it up to me dropping my bow arm (very guilty of this bad habit), but after a few more low shots (all of these are going about a foot and a half low) I am positive that isn't the problem. I have someone watch me for a couple of shots... they aren't sure. ALL of my arrows went low. I take a break, stretch, and try two more shots. First one ended up dead center and the second one was low. I ended my practice early... not going to reinforce this bad habit... whatever it is.

Any thoughts? Someone said my string? Another said my bow shoulder could be high (I have never had this problem though)? I double, triple checked to make sure nothing moved on me.

Also, a thing to take into consideration, without this coming across as a pathetic attempt of an excuse, I have mild scoliosis. It's been acting up the past few days, pinching a nerve on my left side, middle of my shoulder blades. Could this be part of the problem? I just have never had this happen before (even when I'm tired)... well, when I know it's not me dropping my bow arm!

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,842 Posts
You sure something isn't wrong with the bow?

An inch and a half low could be an arm drop......but a foot and a half????......:confused: :noidea:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Boy is that a tough one. A foot and a half seems like a lot for TP which was going to be my suggestion, positive nothing on the bow moved? I know nothing about scoliosis so no idea there, good luck though.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
just thought of this, because it has happened to me before, did someone at the range mess with your sights while you were taking a break??

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
nevermind , just saw that the OP said half way through

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything was within the same specs I had when I first started shooting tonight. It then wouldn't explain why one or two of those arrows would actually hit where I was aiming, and not low.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using a DownForce... could my rest need to be tightened, if my arrows are leaving it wrong? I have no clue...

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I'm using a DownForce... could my rest need to be tightened, if my arrows are leaving it wrong? I have no clue...
things that make the arrow go low.

the rest has dropped down from it's original position
the Peep has moved down the string.
the Nock point has moved up the string.
the limb or limbs on the bow have changed, cracked or something.

these things would make the arrow go low. so check each one.
if there isn't anything wrong with the bow then I am afraid it's just you
good luck.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
things that make the arrow go low.

the rest has dropped down from it's original position
the Peep has moved down the string.
the Nock point has moved up the string.
the limb or limbs on the bow have changed, cracked or something.

these things would make the arrow go low. so check each one.
if there isn't anything wrong with the bow then I am afraid it's just you
good luck.
Thank you! I will have to check them out to see.... I really am hoping it's just the bow, but it wouldn't be the first time that it was me doing something wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Odds are the drop rest is malfunctioning. Many top indoor shooters use a spring steel launcher of some kind. Less to go wrong.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Odds are the drop rest is malfunctioning. Many top indoor shooters use a spring steel launcher of some kind. Less to go wrong.
It's already on its way. I never had a problem with this drop away... everything seems to be timed right....

·
Premium Member
5,528 Posts
Just got back from the Mathews Dealer Show! Bring it to the center tomorrow! I can take a look!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boy is that a tough one. A foot and a half seems like a lot for TP which was going to be my suggestion, positive nothing on the bow moved? I know nothing about scoliosis so no idea there, good luck though.
As for the TP, I am using a pull-through release. It is VERY hard to punch this release. But I don't know... willing to keep my mind open.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If you have rotating modules or adjustable modules check and make sure they didnt come loose this has happened to me several times now I loctite them.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I like the suggestion about the loose mods, I had that happen on my Vantage shortly after I got it, every shot felt like it should have been a 10 but it was spraying arrows everywhere, I was ready to throw that dang bow, until...........loose lower cam mod, BINGO, shot like a champ after i tightened it up!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you are shooting a hoyt the draw peg could have fallen out on the bottom cam.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm shooting again this evening.... we'll see how it goes from there...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts