Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background-I've always hunted in rubber boots(LaCrosse and Muck boots) because of swampy conditions and scent control. Now, I 'm thinking of something more comfortable because I walk a long way to the area I hunt. Here are the things I want in order of importance:

1. Comfort-something that makes me feel like I have sneakers on. Oh, and I have a high instep, so getting some boots on and off is often difficult for me.
2. Cool-I'm in La., so lots of insulation would be bad. Maybe minimally insulated.
3. As little leather as possible-no leather would be best.
4. Water proof. It's been dry, but I might still have to walk through some water.
5. Price-I don't want top of the line that will cost a lot.

Cabelas has some models that look like they might work, but I have no experience with their boots.

Oh, and it seems like I recall one company in particular getting bad reviews here, but I can't recall which it was. A little help on that would be nice too.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
BPS had Rocky Bruins on sale for $69. I bought some and they are light, comfortable, no insulation, and gore tex.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okccj said:
BPS had Rocky Bruins on sale for $69. I bought some and they are light, comfortable, no insulation, and gore tex.

OK, those look good. Do they make a model higher than 6"?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a reminder, no(or very little) leather and no rubber-I have rubber covered well including some big-boy burleys.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Redwings are great boots,

but there is a very nice pair of Irish Setters in the Cabela's flyer for sale.

"Tamarack Boots", Gor-Tex Lined, Scent Ban odor eliminator, and 600-Gram thinsulate ultra insulation

$99.95

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I can't tell you enough good things about my muck boots I love them.
1.dry and warm
2.very comfy
3.easy to get on and off.
4.reasonable priced.
My cousins in NY use them on the farm and haven't had any other boots last as long as the mucks.Let me tell you if they last long on a typical big dairy farm they will hold up in the woods just fine.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Cabela's Dura-Trax™ Boots

Check these out they are rubber boots but fit like Sneakers.
I just got a pair of the Dura-trax Rubber Snakeproof boots from Cabela's and they are very comfortable.

Cabela's Dura-Trax™ Boots
Better fit than the competition's at a lower price Our new Dura-Trax™ are the lightest, warmest, most comfortable rubber boots we've ever offered. We combined running-shoe technology with the best-insulating, most durable rubber-boot materials available today. You'll simply be amazed. Available as uninsulated or with 800-gram or 1,200-gram Thinsulate™ Ultra Insulation to match conditions from early season to late winter.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat280030_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat280030&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=2&parentType=index&parentId=cat280030&id=0026877

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
leon j chartier said:
I can't tell you enough good things about my muck boots I love them.
1.dry and warm
2.very comfy
3.easy to get on and off.
4.reasonable priced.
My cousins in NY use them on the farm and haven't had any other boots last as long as the mucks.Let me tell you if they last long on a typical big dairy farm they will hold up in the woods just fine.
I love mine too, but I sweat like a pig in them during the early season.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Did you guys see that doe and big rattler pic over on the LA Sportsman site? I'll be sticking w/my Much Snakes for early season and then switching to my Alpha Burlys in Dec.
Insatiable

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Engelsmung said:
A "Skyscraper Insurance Company Lawyer"(credit to Chuck) like yourself should go with the Danner Grouse. I know, too much leather, but if they're downwind they're going to smell you anyway. Mine have lasted 10 years w/only one resoling.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?mode=article&objectID=29120
OK Mr. Philson pretty boy. Unlike yourself, I care more about results than appearance. I should have taken your picture right before you ran your boat into that piling. One of those cajuns looked like he wanted to kiss you. :eek: :wink:

But yes, too much leather.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
insatiable said:
Did you guys see that doe and big rattler pic over on the LA Sportsman site? I'll be sticking w/my Much Snakes for early season and then switching to my Alpha Burlys in Dec.
Insatiable
Mung and I stepped over a 6' canebrake two years ago on one of the East/West trails in Cocodrie. He was a fine specimen. Very docile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts