Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am a total newbie to traditional archery (My experience is mainly with a ready to shoot compounds). After reading the various treads on the carsage I became interested in setting one up, especially with the better looking sirius riser. The older threads haveinfo on the Triple 62” combo, but not much on the 66” risers.

Also the sirius is only available in 24” riser. I have only shoot a 60” trad Bow and liked that length. I need some advice deciding on the following: And any additional info or advice is greatly appreciated.

1. Would a serious riser be ok in size for me or should I get the Triple 62”? I am 5’10”, 28” Draw length and shoot compound at 70lbs. I really like the look of the serious riser but I think a 66” bow might be too large for me.
2. I plan on going with 40# limbs so I don’t get overbowed but still can hunt with it. Also is a 66” ok for hunting?
3. What string should I get (for the serious 66 and for the Triple 62)? Size, type, brand, strands, etc. I purchase from Lancaster.
4. I find the Cartel bolts a bit ugly. Is there an smaller allen-wrench bolt that can fit Cartel risers?
5. Recommend me an inexpensive arrow rest and stabilizer.

Thanks!

PS: Any pics of the Sirius? I have only been able to find stock pictures online.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have the carsage with the cartel triple riser makes a 62" I,m 5' 10" an draw just shy of 28" an love the bow. I like the feel of the riser an bow has good speed an very quite for a recurve. I like custom made string not premade. The 62" will be fine for draw lenght but you might like the longbow. I have a ilf 66" bow But like shooting the carsage better. If you go with the carsage a 58.5 string will work well for you an bow like about a 8.5 brace. I haven,t heard much about the sirius riser I quess it alot heavier then cartel triple that could be good or bad. For hunting the shorter bow will be easier to handle but for target or long distance shooting you might like the longer bow. for a string I like 8 strands of 450 Plus with loops padded to 12 an a 0.21 halo serving but that newer an better material out but they all work well if build right. Bolts are ugly but I mine them yes you can change them out. But iwould try the bow out for awhile then decide. hope that helps some.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I draw 28.5" and personally I like longer bows. 66" would be on the short side of my ideal, but then again I don't hunt from stands or blinds. For me the added accuracy and ease of shooting more than makes-up for the inconvenience of only another 2" on each end.

For the 66" bow you would just order a string for a 66" bow and it will be correct, nothing magical about it. The finished length should be pretty close to 63" with 20-30 twists. 14st of D97 would work just fine and is a cheap option.

For limb-bolts you can just go down to the hardware store and match them with something. I believe the thread is 5/16x18 and a standard countersunk hex head would work:
http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=12768

Should be available almost anywhere.

-Grant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts