Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure that this is categorized as fraud but, this is the story. My girlfriend and I are getting ready to drive to Michigan for the holidays. her car(04 mazda 3) gets way better mileage than my truck and it has had some idle problems. So we decide to take it to the DEALERSHIP to get it fixed. they run the diagnostic and it is a purge valve problem. This i figured out on my own but needed to be sure about it before buying the part. After diagnosing the problem, the service guy says your trans fluid looks really bad you should get it changed. Knowing the typical routine of the service dept at dealerships I should have said nah but i figured... she probably never changed it before so what the heck, I mean we are driving from ohio to michigan for christmas, it will only prevent any problems from coming up. So $345 later we have an freashly changed oil and freshly flushed tranny fluid car. Now let me tell you what happens next!

We went in to get a purge valve fixed but ended up getting the trans fluid flushed and the oil changed. The night we brought the car home it was slipping in 4th gear!!!! Not one time ever did the car do this before in the entire 5 years of its existence. Now, Im no idiot so I know something is wrong. I calll the dealership service dept and tell the same guy that the car is doing something out of the ordinary that it wasn't doing before we brought it to them. He says very nicely to bring it in and they will get it checked out. So 2 hours after we get there, the service guy tells me, looking at me like a dumb ****, that they overfilled the transmission but it isnt a problem and that i put the wrong spark plugs in the car and that it might be causing the car to missfire and that may be causing it to slip. ha ha ha. anyways, He tells me that there is nothing that they can figure out and that I should call the service manager( his Boss). We cannot drive the car at all on the highway and we have to get to michigan thiscoming weekend, what do you think I should do? outside of calling this guy and emailing and ripping him a new one and giving them a lesson in customer service.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Talk to the district manager , get a loaner (on them) and get your transmission fixed (on them)...otherwise keep climbing the tree and raising hell. Dealerships don't want the corporate hq banging on them...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Now a days I carry a small tape recorder with me when dealing in a garage or a bank or similar place when money is transferred one way or the other. It gives you protection when you get a line of BS from someone .Seems rash but is becoming more and more necessary these days .I keep the recorder concealed .

Mach 10

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
sounds fishy to me.not on your part either.If they overfilled the tranny which if Im reading your post right they did...and something got messed up, well then its their responsibility to get it fixed, for free.
Also, thats alot of money for an oil change and tranny fluid change and flush...

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,266 Posts
Buy AMERICAN! :wink:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
yeah chevy wouldnt even be having this issue to begin with haha

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
First of all........if you have a high milage car with with a auto tranny that has never had a tranny flushed, never ever flush the tranny fluid. That is one of the quickest ways to wipe out the remaining clutches and bands left in the tranny.

As far as getting the dealer to pay for a new tranny....good luck. Your car being worn out isn't there problem and it'll be hard to prove a high fluild level wiped out your tranny when the car is 7 years old.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
First of all........if you have a high milage car with with a auto tranny that has never had a tranny flushed, never ever flush the tranny fluid. That is one of the quickest ways to wipe out the remaining clutches and bands left in the tranny.

As far as getting the dealer to pay for a new tranny....good luck. Your car being worn out isn't there problem and it'll be hard to prove a high fluild level wiped out your tranny when the car is 7 years old.
What Gator said.....

The spark plugs aint gonna cause the slipping. Thats pure BS.

An overfilled tranny can blow seals and valve body gaskets unless it has an overfill relief tube installed.

To be brutally honest..... if a fluid change tanked a transmission... it was on its last legs and due for a rebuild anyway. Automatic transmissions are marvels of modern engineering, but ignore periodoc maintenence at ones peril.

Sucks that happened right before the holidays tho.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
tell the dealer you want a car to drive. the dealer I work at will loan out the rentals for free when they screw up. its there falt with their recommendations. most of the time the lube bays are just a bunch of kids anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Forget calling service manager, and auto dealerships don't have "district managers".

Is your dealership chain owned or is it one of the "personal owned" stores? Find out.

Did you buy it at that dealership?

Call SERVICE MANAGER...tell him that IF you come in, you'll want, IN WRITING that they are going to repair the tranny issue free, because it was their fault, and you have the bill showing when it was done.

"Wrong spark plugs" is BS...they won't cause misfires, worst thing substandard plugs can do is lose you some HP, these days, by not sparking hot enough to completely burn vaporized fuel/air mixture...if plugs are gapped properly, they will do "good enough", with a Mazda 3, though, I'd spend the extra to put higher end plugs in, and gap 'em properly, they'll improve performance greatly...but do it at home...gapping tool is under $2, info on proper gapping for your engine easily available, free, online, as are engine specs for your year/model...all it takes is the right deep well ratchet head, a ratchet driver extender, and that gapping tool...and about 15 minutes.

As for the "transmission fluid" issue...you should have it CHECKED (for leakage and level) every 3rd oil change (9000 miles), and topped off, if low, manual says "full fluid flush and replace every 80K miles"...I'm afraid, unless your car was near 80K miles, you were suckered, and if they sold you "replacement", you were suckered..."full fluid flush" is tranny, oil, and coolant flush and replacement.

I'm afraid, since you already paid for the tranny fluid change, you're stuck with that....

BUT...if the Service Manager is a twit about it, either call the owner/operator (if it's a private store) or the General Manager (front of store, responsible for EVERY aspect of the dealership, and tell him your problem AND download/print THIS site (get the .pdf), and highlite relevant portions:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=7248&

If the GM is a pain (or the owner/operator, whichever you get hold of) show up in PERSON, and be ready to make a public nuisance of yourself , in front of potential buyers, loudly enough that they can't avoid hearing you...WITH documentation to refer to in hand.

They WILL fix the problem at that point, gratis, or you have basis for a lawsuit. They MAY refund you the cost of the original (unsatisfactory, and badly done) maintenance, or even "gift you" certificates for some future maintenance.

If you're wondering how I know this...this year, due to the market, I've had to take a separate job in order to generate a salary, but my father, myself, my brother, and my brother-in-law own and operate an extended warranty/high-mile-high-usage company offered THROUGH dealerships, and I have spent most of the last 8 years "selling" these warranties to dealerships (for them to re-sell to buyers), and mediating claims disputes...with the high-mileage warranties, we often require proof of advised maintenance having been done on a regular basis. I KNOW what service departments and service managers get up to, firsthand, because I OFTEN have to intercede when a shop has convinced someone a service is "needed", and "should be paid by the warranty" (and usually, the service department ends up eating whatever additional costs they created by doing unauthorized work).

Oh, and the advice about making a serious scene...insist on getting a "loaner" as part of the deal, as THEIR malfeasance has impacted YOUR ability to follow through with plans that were the cause of the original maintenance visit. I mean absolutely DEMAND it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm not sure that this is categorized as fraud but, this is the story. My girlfriend and I are getting ready to drive to Michigan for the holidays. her car(04 mazda 3) gets way better mileage than my truck and it has had some idle problems. So we decide to take it to the DEALERSHIP to get it fixed. they run the diagnostic and it is a purge valve problem. This i figured out on my own but needed to be sure about it before buying the part. After diagnosing the problem, the service guy says your trans fluid looks really bad you should get it changed. Knowing the typical routine of the service dept at dealerships I should have said nah but i figured... she probably never changed it before so what the heck, I mean we are driving from ohio to michigan for christmas, it will only prevent any problems from coming up. So $345 later we have an freashly changed oil and freshly flushed tranny fluid car. Now let me tell you what happens next!

We went in to get a purge valve fixed but ended up getting the trans fluid flushed and the oil changed. The night we brought the car home it was slipping in 4th gear!!!! Not one time ever did the car do this before in the entire 5 years of its existence. Now, Im no idiot so I know something is wrong. I calll the dealership service dept and tell the same guy that the car is doing something out of the ordinary that it wasn't doing before we brought it to them. He says very nicely to bring it in and they will get it checked out. So 2 hours after we get there, the service guy tells me, looking at me like a dumb ****, that they overfilled the transmission but it isnt a problem and that i put the wrong spark plugs in the car and that it might be causing the car to missfire and that may be causing it to slip. ha ha ha. anyways, He tells me that there is nothing that they can figure out and that I should call the service manager( his Boss). We cannot drive the car at all on the highway and we have to get to michigan thiscoming weekend, what do you think I should do? outside of calling this guy and emailing and ripping him a new one and giving them a lesson in customer service.
I just recently learned this. If you don't change trans fluid on a regular basis...don't ever change it. More often than not changing it after long periods or for the first time in 50-70K miles the trans will fail. Either change it regular or not at all. Trans fluids have drastically changed over the years. the friction modifiers and additives break down over time and need to be changed. A trans that has lots of miles and then gets fresh fluid will most likely fail with a few months to a year or so. This from a shop that only rebuilds transmissions.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
^ this is also correct, if you exceeded 120-130K miles before changing the fluid, the fluid change may CAUSE problems, rather than fixing them...in which case, following my advice about making a public stink WITH DOCUMENTS IN HAND may very well get you a new tranny, if the old one is unsalvageable.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i know one thing $345.00 is about $200.00 to much for a fluid and filter change. you were defantly ripped for that. a dealership is no place to have that kind of thing done. they sugested to you to have it done so they should be responseable to fix the car, [ imo]

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I just recently learned this. If you don't change trans fluid on a regular basis...don't ever change it. More often than not changing it after long periods or for the first time in 50-70K miles the trans will fail. Either change it regular or not at all. Trans fluids have drastically changed over the years. the friction modifiers and additives break down over time and need to be changed. A trans that has lots of miles and then gets fresh fluid will most likely fail with a few months to a year or so. This from a shop that only rebuilds transmissions.
this is 100% true,if the fluid was not changed in the 5 years that she owned the car it should have never been done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts