Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new bow for my 10 yo and I have been looking at the Bowtech Soldier, Mission Craze and the Diamond Razor Edge. He has a 24 in dl and is pulling about 50lbs. If anyone has experience with any of these bows, pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I started my gf off on the Diamond. She cut her teeth on it, and I'm glad we did. 19-30" draw length, 30-60 lbs. No press needed for DW or DL adjustments. For a 10 yr old, it would be perfect imo. Haven't tried the others mentioned so I cannot really compare. I know this, while the Diamond has limits like a spongy wall for instance, and seems to get a little erratic beyond 25 yds (likely due in large part to the large tolerances of DW and DL) I could definitely - as a fullgrown adult - take it and kill a deer.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Of the three you mentioned the diamond is my least favorite. Both the craze and soldier have lots of growth. I sell lots of both pf them.
Some things I notice.
Craze only adjusts draw in full Inches not half inch increments.
Craze will go up to 70 lbs draw.
Soldier goes ip to 65.
Can't go wrong with either. For performance I would choose the soldier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
You must have one hell of a 10yo if he is pulling 50 pound!!!

I cant comment on any of the bows you are enquiring about, but my 10yo shoots a Bear Apprentice. Goes well, with plenty of adjustment! Up to 27" draw length, and 50# peak weight.

Leigh.

·
Registered
50,379 Posts
No question the Craze, he will never out grow the bow in poundage or draw length, lifetime warranty to him and nothing added to buy or get to change ANYTHING on the bow, you can adjust anything on the bow at home without a press.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
From a coaching point of view if your son is shooting a lot then he may do long term damage to his body using a 50# bow. His bones and joints are still growing and the constant load is not good for long term development.

Why does he need 50# at 10 years of age?

Also my pick would be the solider, set a couple for some kids at the club, nice bow and great value.

Michael

·
Arrow Whisperer
11,091 Posts
You must have one hell of a 10yo if he is pulling 50 pound!!!

I cant comment on any of the bows you are enquiring about, but my 10yo shoots a Bear Apprentice. Goes well, with plenty of adjustment! Up to 27" draw length, and 50# peak weight.

Leigh.
I started my grandson off with a 28# Browning Micro Adrenlin @ 5 years old, when he was 8 we got him a 40# Browning Adrenlin. This was Christmas morning and by the end of the day he was drawing the bow cranked up to 40#s. He is now 11 and still shooting the 40#er I will most likely wait another year or two before I move him into a 50#er.

·
74,535 Posts
Diamond Razor edge is a really good choice.
DB

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I am in the market for a new bow for my 10 yo and I have been looking at the Bowtech Soldier, Mission Craze and the Diamond Razor Edge. He has a 24 in dl and is pulling about 50lbs. If anyone has experience with any of these bows, pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.
10 years old pulling 50#?? Such a strong kid.
Bowtech Heartbreaker: you can take off 20-25# of poundage, this was tested OK, so actually you can buy
a 60#. DL range 22,5-27", solid draw stop and very fine adgustments for DL.
You could buy Assassin 70# and turn it down to 50# or even 40#, one bow will fit him for life,
but DL starts from 26", so needin'n to shorten it for 2", I was told this is possible.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Soldier seems a good choice, the same cams system but limbs not that parallel,
overall looks a bit lower-class to Heartbreaker.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Bowtech Heartbreaker: you can take off 20-25# of poundage, this was tested OK, so actually you can buy
You could buy Assassin 70# and turn it down to 50# or even 40#, one bow will fit him for life,
but DL starts from 26", so needin'n to shorten it for 2", I was told this is possible.
You cannot turn a 70lb assassin down to 50 or even 40lbs. Not safely

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The dual cam PSE chaos is a good bow that would fit him
Well. My son shoots one at 50 lbs and 22 in.
He is 13 though. I would say your ten year old is a good sized growing boy if 24" draw fits him.
Have fun.

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
My wife has the Craze.
My son has the Razors edge.
Both are very nice bows and you cant go wrong with either. The soldier is most likely just as good. The best way to make the choice is for him to shoot all three and then let him decide. One of them will feel better than the others. My son did not like the large grip on the Craze.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You cannot turn a 70lb assassin down to 50 or even 40lbs. Not safely

This is safe. Pivoting limbs, you can turn it down so far the ends of bolts are
visible.
50# Heartbreaker was turned down to 20# in my club for a lady beginner.

·
Registered
50,379 Posts
I agree with XForce girl I don't know where you got that information but that couldn't be farther from the truth. It does not have that kind of poundage range without changing limbs.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
This is safe. Pivoting limbs, you can turn it down so far the ends of bolts are
visible.
50# Heartbreaker was turned down to 20# in my club for a lady beginner.
You risk damaging the bow or even worse the shooter.
You are giving bad advise.
There are plenty of appropriate bows out there for this kid. Without using these questionable practices. Someone could get hurt by taking your advise.

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts
I have not only sold all three, but my 12 y/o is currently shooting the Mission Craze. I'm not being a fan boy by any means saying this, but for the money and the ability to grow with a youngster the Mission has the advantage. 19"-30" draw length and a draw weight range that is second to none. This may not be the bow for everyone, but I must say it is the most versitile one out there!

·
Socket Man
23,789 Posts
I saw the heartbreaker in all black this week and it is awesome, it looks like a 900 dollar bow at first glance even though it isn't. I find it hard to believe your boy could handle it but if he can it is a sweet bow.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You risk damaging the bow or even worse the shooter.
You are giving bad advise.
There are plenty of appropriate bows out there for this kid. Without using these questionable practices. Someone could get hurt by taking your advise.

That Heartbreaker, Airborne, Firecat and similar can technically be turned down 20-25 even 30#,
has been proven by many. I myself shot Airborne 70# turned down to 40# no problem.
Of course it's better to not turn bolts too much out.
Best to have several sets of limbs, as prescribed.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The problem is, if you turn 60# Heartbreaker to 40# or 30# you lose much more speed
compared to 50# turned down to 40# or 40# turned down to 30#, as bows are not
designed to this poundage range and limbs will move to much more angle than technically
specified, as I was told.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts