Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I had a idea to build a custom bow in honor of the men and women who have served in the US Military . From the first post I made on Archery Talk I have seen the honor,the pride, the Selflessness and willingness to go above and beyond that those man and woman who have ever served fought and died for our Country posses . and not just from the hero's of our military but also everyday civilian red blooded americans like my self. I have had several people offer to help with paint,custom parts ect free of charge. Again proving that we live in the Greatest country in the world . I am blown away by the overwhelming response that this project has received . at first I was turning down the offers of free help I was worried that people would think I was out to get something for free. But after talking with my wife last night she made the comment that if I truly wanted to honor the men and woman of our military then I should allow them to help . By not allowing them to help I was inadvertently dishonoring them by not allowing them to be a part of something meant to honor our Military and Country. Something they sacrificed so much for. So once again I find myself faced with how do I honor them how do I say thank you how do I show my appreciation . I thought about making a plaque or using dog tags that could be draped and hung on the bow while on display with the names of those who have helped me and contributed physically as well as those who have given input helping me to make what I feel will be the greatest custom bow made . But I want to hear the thought's and idea's from some Vets and those who may be still serving what will be the best way to display the names of these people?

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
dog tags are cool, or even maybe on the limbs you could have whoever is helping with the paint, have them put the names of those that help and also if they served something to show that too, either their rank or branch of service would be sweet. I think it would be sweet to see a set of sergeant stripes with name by it, as an example....

can you explain what your doing with the bow and your ideas a lil??? never saw a thread previously about this

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dog tags are cool, or even maybe on the limbs you could have whoever is helping with the paint, have them put the names of those that help and also if they served something to show that too, either their rank or branch of service would be sweet. I think it would be sweet to see a set of sergeant stripes with name by it, as an example....

can you explain what your doing with the bow and your ideas a lil??? never saw a thread previously about this
Well long story short . My Bro inlaw lost a leg while in the Navy . And some how we got on the subject of the Military and The Wounded Worriors Project . Me being a Big time bow hunter Mentioned something to him about doing a custom Bow as a tribute to our Military . And it just kind of took off from there . Ive send emails to Bowtech about possable putting it on display at the next ATA Trade show My Bro inlaw will be taking it to Wounded Worriors events . And this time of year there are alot of Bow shoots around my area so it is going to get alot of display and I will prob use it to shoot in a few just to prove its more then a just for show ! if you can go to my profile and look at my threads you have too see the Stabilizer that CMC is making for me its a one of a kind for sure!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
We dont do our job and support OUR country to receive recognition, though i am humbled when i get recognized, to me Im just doing what I signed up for. How bout a thank you personally to all those that have helped. So maybe they dont want recognition. Just a plaque stating that all the items are donated by fellow archers supporting Veterans.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
We dont do our job and support OUR country to receive recognition, though i am humbled when i get recognized, to me Im just doing what I signed up for. How bout a thank you personally to all those that have helped. So maybe they dont want recognition. Just a plaque stating that all the items are donated by fellow archers supporting Veterans.

It is a lifestyle we chose or choose to live!

I too am very humbled when I get recognized and sometimes feel embarrassed in a way... Reason being is that's not what I chose that lifestyle for...

But we do need to recognize and do what we can for those that have fought for our country!

You can't always physically see the toll combat has taken on a soldier! I Have lost a few close friends to the war on terrorism one right in front of my eye's!
I cannot describe in words how it makes my heart hurt to those who have lost and especially those who's life's have been forever changed due to combat injuries!

I live the life of an Infantryman for that's the life I choose!

And I thank all who have served, who serve and support our troops!

Sent from my Galaxy S III

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
On another note!

How about the some how doing an American flag on the riser and integrating the crests of all branches? A fallen battle cross And maybe a picture of Arlington cemetery or the tomb of the unknown soldier?

Mounted on a plaque with all names of those who helped in some shape or form with dog tags for each branch designating the number of lost and wounded?

Just my two cents!

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On another note!

How about the some how doing an American flag on the riser and integrating the crests of all branches? A fallen battle cross And maybe a picture of Arlington cemetery or the tomb of the unknown soldier?

Mounted on a plaque with all names of those who helped in some shape or form with dog tags for each branch designating the number of lost and wounded?

Just my two cents!

Hey Guys, Srry I haven't responed in a while . I've been tied up on this project tks for all the idea's and help. and im not the least bit suprised by your response bwhnter4life every vet I know including my Dad feels the same way you do . I have to post some pics of the stabilizer CNC build for me YALL ARE GOING TO TRIP!!!! also Lungbuster77 the fallen battle cross im I wanna try and get it engraved on my grips . yall tell me what yall think ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
What color is the bow going to be? A subdued infered style flag thats black and tan or maybe even a silver would look neat and its right up the alley of all the tactical style thats in now. Colors would go sweet with the stab pictured above.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You could find some coins of all the branches of the service that are bronze in color, and some how inlay them in the riser or have them painted in bronze on black going down the riser. The Wounded Warrior Project and POW MIA symbols.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
desert camo.jpg Bow will be this color bottom left Us 3color Desert. Rise tan limbs the light green Carbon Fiber HHA sight , rest , quiver Brown . im almsot done airbrushing the Sight . Im not at all patting my self on the Back but the sight looks SWEEEEET! ill post pics of it ASAP .

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
David as a Vet myself (USMC 2000-2006, Iraq 2003) I am honored by you representing the Military, however I agree with the post above in that I just did what I signed up for. With that being said, I am so happy you chose a Military style camo vs a "commercialized" camo. No offense to camo manufacturers, but nothing Realtree, Mossy Oak, ASAT, Natural Gear, etc..... will ever touch a candle to representing the Military as well as the color choice you made (BIG kudos to you for that). Also, just wanted to go on record and thank everyone who has helped you out.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
Alot of great civilians out there. Ive seen alot of Medical Doctors called back into service (voluntarily) and serve in Afghanistan while taking a huge paycut in the process just to do their duty. Quite amazing in my book, taking about a 70% pay cut in order to serve their country. Other great people too who not only offer the discounts, but just the normal thanks, and everything else they do to keep this country running. Like ive said before, never felt more grateful to serve in this country than flying home in uniform on my R&R.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Multicam

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
David as a Vet myself (USMC 2000-2006, Iraq 2003) I am honored by you representing the Military, however I agree with the post above in that I just did what I signed up for. With that being said, I am so happy you chose a Military style camo vs a "commercialized" camo. No offense to camo manufacturers, but nothing Realtree, Mossy Oak, ASAT, Natural Gear, etc..... will ever touch a candle to representing the Military as well as the color choice you made (BIG kudos to you for that). Also, just wanted to go on record and thank everyone who has helped you out.
Brother there was never a Question on that one . I had ppl say go with the dig camo but everyone is doing that . and I was torn on Jungle cam or Desert cam because I wanted it to appeal to both new and old vets. But some how I could get away from the desert i geuss because these are the colors of my generation . But that may all change here soon with Kim wanting to test somebody ...... The jungle cam may be on the rise

·
Registered
324 Posts
As I disabled vet I appreciate the gesture, and condone receiving "free" stuff to support that cause. I would suggest using the most current camo pattern if at all possible

Digital-Camo.jpg

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I agree with the ACU pattern as well, I just posted the multicam because it is what I was issued in Afghanistan and still is and rumor has it that it will phase out the ACU...

I also find it more appealing than the ACU...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes but that camo I posted is still current and is the Universal Camo Pattern

1 - 20 of 26 Posts