Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Elk hunters I need some help. I’m leaving in four weeks for an Elk hunt and am trying to figure out what shaft and broadhead combination I am going to hunt with, here are my specs:

-Hoyt Ultra Tec 26” Draw Length at 61 pounds
-Easton A\C\C 3-28’s at 385 grains with Muzzy 100 grain Broadheads

Do you think that I have enough arrow weight to achieve good penetration?

The A\C\C’s and Muzzy’s shoot great together but I’m a bit worried that they aren’t going to be heavy enough. I know that a lot of people like a minimum of 400 grain arrows. Can anybody tell me what kind of Kinetic Energy I am going to have?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Straightline,

For kinetic energy we're going to have to know the velocity of the arrow. Is there any way you can shoot over a chrono and give us the velocity in fps?

If it makes you feel better I'm leaving in 5 days for Colorado to hunt elk. I'm shooting a 355gr arrow. 100gr Montec with a 30" 3D Select 200 with 3- 4" helical feathers. I'm shooting 274 fps and getting 59ft/lbs of KE.

Some will say my arrow is a little light, but I'm comfortable with the way it flies. I'm positive a shot in the boiler room at 30yds will bring any elk down.

Remember it's shot placement.

Keep the distance short, shoot straight, and you will have yourself a fine trophy!

Ray C.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
If your coming to Idaho the law requires a 400gr min. arrow. I'd say your setup should be fine, but definatly on the light side. Most of the die hard elk hunters around here prefer arrows in the 450gr range - a bit slower, but they do penetrate better.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think unless you are going to Idaho which has the 400 grain rule that you are probably O.K. tho for sure you are on the light side. I have a slightly heavier set up and did fine last year. I have 27 " draw 3-49 ACC with 125 Muzzy 427 gr. total. My arrow broke a rib going in and another going out, so I was happy with that. You could try longer fletching and 125 point which would get you over the 400 gr minimum in Idaho, maybe other states I don't know, and that might save you from buying new shafts. Hard to beat those ACC's. I think they are the best shafts out there, the best of both carbon and aluminum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts