Archery Talk Forum banner

I Need Some Love From My Martin Brothers

1091 Views 25 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  bigbadbanshee75
I have a martin mag cat that i bought from dicks sporting goods. it was a great improvment from my old bow but i had a hard time during hunting season with noise when released. a couple nice deer got away. have any of you expierenced this or do you have suggestions. i have a 28" draw, ics beman 340s, a simple prong rest, and i shoot 60#. i installed string leeches and limb dampers but i still have noise issues
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
6,155 Posts
how heavy are your arrows ? If they are right at 5gpp/300 grain for 60# you will probably have more noise than if you used a heavier arrow, also check the timing to make sure it's correct as that can effect noise levels as well ! :darkbeer:

Woody

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am not brand new to archery but i guess i have a lot to learn. i am not sure about the timing. i wouldnt know what to look for. also, if i lenghtend my draw, which wouldnt be uncomfortable, would the extra speed make up for the deer jumping the string, or so they call it.

· Registered
1,212 Posts
i also dont understand sts. new to the abriveations on this site

Its a string suppressor that stops the twang from your string. When used with string leeches-I guarantee that nothing will jump the string.

· Registered
6,155 Posts
Lengthening your draw will also give you increased poundage, while it will make your arrows travel a little faster it could also increase the noise levels.

An sts (Shock Terminator Suppressor) is one of those rods that attach to the rear stabilizer mounting point on the back (side that faces toward you) of your riser, and it has a little rubber piece on the end of it that touches your string when the bow is at rest.

What kind configuration is the bows lims, are they parallel limbs or is it more of the traditional "D" shaped bow with limbs that point more up and down rather than backwards, traditional "D" shaped bows tend to be a little more noisy as well.

Woody

· Registered
1,638 Posts
my buddy has 2 magcats and both were pretty quite for a non parralel limb bow , you might want to check your accesories the ones that came with the Dicks Packages could be the problem, also tap the limbs sharply by the cams to see if the shims are causing some noise

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
most likely i will have to take it to the bow shop so they ca check timing and the shims. i just had a baracuda string put on. i figured they would have noticed something like that then but i really appreciae all your guys help!!

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the only thing i have left on it that came with it from dicks is the rest which i am replacing with a wiskerbiscuit that i just purchased today. i sure hope that dosent add to the noise

· Registered
1,258 Posts
that new string will be noisey until it's shot several times and broke in . that string is not one of my favorites, they tend to be a little slow and noisey. like someone said get an sts, they really help. i prefer cat whiskers to the leeches.

· Registered
59 Posts
that new string will be noisey until it's shot several times and broke in . that string is not one of my favorites, they tend to be a little slow and noisey. like someone said get an sts, they really help. i prefer cat whiskers to the leeches.
I also used cat whiskers on my Bengal. When they broke off a couple weeks ago (after a year of use), my bow was WAAAY noisier.

· Premium Member
5,888 Posts
most likely i will have to take it to the bow shop so they ca check timing and the shims. i just had a baracuda string put on. i figured they would have noticed something like that then but i really appreciae all your guys help!!
Why would you go and ruin a good bow by putting junk string and cables on it. Well not ruin but they are junk,I would also use good old cat whiskers instead of leeches.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.