Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am living in china but will be headed home this fall for 2 weeks to bowhunt in august. problem is when i get home jet-lag is really bad and i have a big problem staying awake in the stand during prime time in the evenings. I usually wake up super early because I am still on china time but get sleepy around 5 pm. sitting in a stand doing nothing doesnt help i suppose. I am gonna pump myself full of energy drinks and sugar bars while im home and try to take mid day naps but i need a few more tips to stay awake so i dont fall out of my stand so i can be alert when the buck im after shows up. anyone got some tips to help me stay awake in the evening hunts?? what kinda foods should i eat? how about energy drinks? any tips at all i will appreciate.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
All I can say is don't use a treestand. Hunt from a groundblind or something. Much less dangerous to fall out of a chair than a tree.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
If it was me, I would do a marathon sleep session after I got back to the states. Time it so that you wake up at the normal time you will have to wake up to hunt, even if that means staying in bed for 14 hours. By the time you get up from all that sleep, you won't want to sleep anymore.

Oh yeah... whatever you decide to do, wear a safty belt when you're in the tree.

·
Registered
585 Posts
download a movie on your i pod. works pretty good and keeps me entertained while long hours in the stand.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
there isnt a cure for sleepy-ness except getting sleep..

or do some speed ;) but then you could just run the critter down and stab them with your arrows.

i would sacrifice a day of hunting, take an ambian and crash.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've lived off of 5 hour energy drinks this turkey season. The b12 and niacin give you a little kick that keeps you up.
those little thing you buy at the gas stations really work?? i heard they aint very tasty tho?:pukey: but i guess its worth it

·
Registered
175 Posts
right question ?

perhaps friend the real question is how to reduce/eliminate the jet lag to begin with.. Why not research that ? Proper diet.. sleep schedule for weeks prior..what to eat/drink and what to avoid while on the plane... nip it in the bud.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Red-Bull ???

·
Registered
396 Posts
All I can say is don't use a treestand. Hunt from a groundblind or something. Much less dangerous to fall out of a chair than a tree.
i agree!

if you're getting tired, just climb down. if you had a chance to harvest the largest buck of your lifetime, or become a paraplegic, which would you choose?

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,528 Posts
rub some tobacco in the corner of your eye.....it could burn a lot but it would keep you awake!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I used to live overseas and is what I would do is the day before my flight I would get on my new timezone. and when your flying dont sleep unless its night where you are going. Before I would come home, I would go out the night before and not sleep till the plane took off which was usually night time at my destination and morning where i was leaving. Its hard to do but if you drain your body good you may not get as much jet leg.

·
Registered
726 Posts
5 hour energy
red bull
speed ?
I must be old, I just drink coffee, no STARBUCKS.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The iPod works good but try taking a camera with you and capture the critters your not hunting it's fun I don't go out without mine now

1 - 20 of 35 Posts