Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Soldier stationed at Ft Campbell, and I just found out that my kids who are 9, 8 and 6 can't hunt with me on post---not allowed to go out with dad til they are 10-and have taken the hunter education course---despite the fact that they wouldnt be actually shooting anything (just sitting in a ground blind with me as I hunt). My oldest is 13---was going to take him turkey hunting on Saturday morning--he doesnt have his license/permit to hunt---he can't go out with me and sit with me in the blind unless he has a license/permit to do so. I tried not venting on the staff---they are doing they're jobs, but its tough to tell your kids that they can't go sit with you in the woods---when they have been doing it since they could walk. The regulation has been in place for a while---and even despite the staff stating that numerous calls/complaints had previously been made concerning this subject matter---no change had been made. I was told that a meeting would happen in the Spring where I could voice my opinion. I was also told by my boss that if I could bring him some common sense proof as to why this rule should be changed, that he would present it to the garrison commander and see what can be changed.

So with all this said, what agencies should I contact to help bolster my case. To me it should be simple, a child should be allowed to go with their parent into the woods to hunt, so that they might learn from the experience. If you have any statistics, or any information that I could use, please send to me at [email protected]

Thank you for reading and any help that you can give me---and more importantly kids across the post that have to sit home because a rule that never gets fought.

·
Registered
594 Posts
well, my first thought is who's gonna stop you?

are you hunting on base? or private/ public hunting property?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think I would start by finding out what State regulations are out there to include Kentucky. Im not sure of all the State regulations but here in GA that is not a problem. If you can show them that what they are doing is not common practice around the country it may help. Just a thought. Good luck!!
It is a shame that your kids cant be with you as an observer.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just my thoughts

Yes I agree---and I guess I didnt make it clear---or maybe I assumed---that kids aren't allowed to be with their parents while hunting on Ft Campbell, which resides in both TN and KY without being 10 years of age and having attended Hunter education.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts