Archery Talk Forum banner

I shoot 3 white fletchings...

2003 Views 24 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  bbairborne
so what happened to make them look like this?

Well ti was an awesome morning this past Saturday in Missouri. The temps were in the mid 40's and there wasn't a breath of wind. My Dad made the trip up to hunt with me in an area he wasn't familiar with, so I just brought an extra stand and put him on the other side of the tree from me. We are hunting a white oak flat next to thick cover just up the hill from a water hole, and let me tell you, the acorns are falling like I have never seen before. We had seen 3 deer from stand already and he decided to turn his can call over a couple times. Less than a minute later, I turn around and there is a nice doe with a couple yearlings just 30 yards out and walking by us. We watched them start to go by and then they all started milling around on acorns. He hit the can again and one of the yearlings started walking right at us. Then the bigger doe turned around and started walking straight at the tree. If she goes left, I have a shot, if she goes right, Dad has a shot. She gets 15 yards away and cuts to my left. She walks behind a tree and a bunch of branches and I drew back with my Dad looking right over my shoulder, she walks out into the wide open and stops ar 9 yards! I let the arrow fly and hit the mark. The shot was a little far back, because her left leg was back a touch, but still a quick clean kill. We then followed a very good blood trail about 65-70 yards to where she expired.

Here is a look at our stand setup:

Granted it is not a giant buck, this was one of the most memorable hunts of my life. My Dad and I have never shared a tree before, and it was awesome to have him looking right over my shoulder. We were both pretty fired up about the whole deal, plus as a bonus to me, he field dressed it!!!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
19,079 Posts
That is what its all about!! Congrats on a awesome hunt and day afield with your father!!!

· Registered
7,438 Posts
Congrats

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it was pretty sweet. So many times, it is not the animal taken that makes a hunt memorable. It was awesome to share that experience with my Dad. We have shared the woods numerous times, and have had some successful turkey hunts together, but like i said, this was the first time we haev shared a tree, and for things to go down the way they did. It was awesome. I talked to my Mom yesterday, and she said that is all he has talked about since they left Sunday. That is what it is all about!!!

· Registered
173 Posts
Now THAT is the hunt of a lifetime! Congrats and it was great you and your Dad were sharing the the best thing you can share. :)

· Smoke check!
665 Posts
This is a moment that you will cherish for the rest of your life. I wish my dad hunted more...he pretty much stopped hunting by the time I was old enough to hunt. I learned from a guy that lived close to my parents. I wish that I could hunt more with my dad...I would think it would be pretty special and a memory for lifetime. Especially when they are gone...you will always have that and remember that.

I have already taken my 4 year old out hunting with me quite a few times and he loves it. It will only get more frequent the older he gets.

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
mine are still white:mad:

congrats

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Awesome

Have you been seeing any bucks? I too am hunting oaks flats just north of columbia, MO and have seen VERY little buck movement. I am seeing anywhere from 10- 20 something does a night and maybe 1 buck if I am lucky.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stick with it guys, you'll get 'em red.:wink:

dsf, I have yet to see an antlered deer. Nothing but does, but do to schedule conflicts, I have only hunted one evening, and not in this zone. I have heard guys seeing bucks say they have been seeing them very late in the evening. The area I am hunting already has a bunch of good rubs in it, so I know there is at least one in there. New rubs every time I head in there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.