Archery Talk Forum banner

Who should get to tag the deer?

• The first shooter, it was a fatal shot and unfortunately the deer crossed the fence.

Votes: 115 69.7%
  • The second shooter, he put it down for good on the property he was allowed to hunt on.

Votes: 50 30.3%

I Shot It First, Whose Deer Is It?

4750 Views 66 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  Demo Dick
Here's a real situation that happened to me: I shot a decent 8 pointer a few years ago and made a good but not great shot. I busted his front shoulder and caught the offside lung but the deer was able to run about 150 yards and cross the property line. About 50 yards on the other side of the fence the guy hunting over there had the deer come staggering by him and was able to put another arrow in it and the deer went right down.

There was a good blood trail the whole way, I shot the deer first and put what would have been a fatal shot on him, and the other guy admitted that the deer was staggering and appeared to be on his last legs when he came past his stand.

My question to all of you is a two part question:

#1) Who do you think should have tagged the deer?
#2) Who do you think DID tag the deer?

What do you think happened and have any of you experienced something similar?
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
5,351 Posts
I would say that is your deer if he was going down. I would be pissed if the neighbor taged it.

· SuperToon'd
12,325 Posts
I believe it should be your deer as you had proof with the blood trail and there should have been two entry wounds and two exit wounds . I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the other guy got the tag . I would be upset to say the least and it might have come to blows.

· Registered
5,150 Posts
I believe it should be your deer as you had proof with the blood trail and there should have been two entry wounds and two exit wounds . I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the other guy got the tag . I would be upset to say the least and it might have come to blows.
Just hat he said.....

· Registered
593 Posts
Other factors play a role...

In Montana by law the deer would belong to the second shooter...If he allowed you to tag the deer after he shot it and you were discovered by MFWP you both would have been ticketed...Not sure concerning the laws in your state...Please do not think I agree with the law in this case but none the less if I were in the same situation in Montana I would have insisted the second shooter tag the deer...If he refused I would call the MFWP myself...A better question is why would anyone shoot a deer that was obviously mortally wounded?

· Registered
738 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I was hunting on public property,and i shot a doe ,I hit her in the front shoulder, when i went to get my arrow it was bent, and i had a good blood trail, but i thought best to back out for a hour.then walked up two guys ,i told them i just shot a deer and i;m going to leave for a while to let her expire.when i went back i found a gut pile about 100 yards from my stand ,and i new those guys took her. so i called the c/o . when he got there we went to were she was . he seen the pile and told me he would check the books ,in this area you have to sing in and out of a book.he went to the guys house to talk to him,and when he got there he found the deer and the guy said he shot it and showed him his arrow .so the c/o cheked the deer and it had two holes but his arrow only had about six inches of blood on it.so when he came back to me he said there was nothing he could do beacause i haddent tagged it yet, he told me he thinks the guy shot her while she was down thats why there wasent much blood on his arrow. He knew it was my deer. some people out there have no regard for anyone but themselves. I hope it workes out for you..

· Registered
10,765 Posts
:confused: We are talking about a deer that is on the hoof not down and dead in this case staggering means nothing as that deer could of walked a mile or more who is to say .The second man who put the deer down of corse!!! Here is a prime example of why you should never hunt close enough to a property line to worry about this happening.And the deer was obviously not shot well enough to put it down quick so if you were away from the property line you would not have this problem now would ya!?!! .So by default the first shooter was not the killer of the deer if the second shooter put the arrow in him and he dies he wins this round!!!

If the deer was down and dead it belongs to the original shooter this is all plain and simple!

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me in bear season. It is not mounted in my living room.....but that is another story.

I looked into it and I could be wrong (and I am sure someone will correct me if I am) but in PA it is the first person to legally tag it....

· Registered
352 Posts
I don't think I could tag it myself if I knew the other guy had to shoot it to deliver the final blow. But that's just me....

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Legally or ethically? Depending on your state, legally may be a different answer. Ethically, the answer is clear.
I have to agree with this...and if hunting that close to a neighboor that would do that...make a "great shot" and not a "good shot" using you're words... sux but reality

· Registered
25,353 Posts
legal who ever kills the deer keeps it. but thats bs. that happened to a guy i hunt with this yr. he shot a huge 10. it went running than while he was tracking it another shot went off and some guy got his deer and tagged it up.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
legal who ever kills the deer keeps it. but thats bs. that happened to a guy i hunt with this yr. he shot a huge 10. it went running than while he was tracking it another shot went off and some guy got his deer and tagged it up.
I will play devils advocate here!
Why is it BS that another hunter busted that deer down when your pal didn't ????The deer belongs to the man that neels beside it after the good killing shot and put his tag on it period.If the second shooter wants to give the deer to the first shooter thats fine as well .But I do not know anyone who shoots a deer that did not want it unless he was simply putting it down for a hunting friend.Irregaurdless a hard lesson learnd.

Bad shooting and/or hunting too close to a property line are not an escuse ti whine when you lose your deer to a better shot!:confused:

· Registered
1,467 Posts
:confused: Here is a prime example of why you should never hunt close enough to a property line to worry about this happening.And the deer was obviously not shot well enough to put it down quick so if you were away from the property line you would not have this problem now would ya!?!! .
So 150 yards is not far enough from the property line. A section (640 acres) is 1 mile wide, 1760 yds. 40 acres square would be 440 yards wide. So I have to give up at least 150 yds on either side = 300 yds. This would leave me an area of 140yds x 140yds to hunt. Just over 10 acres of my 40. WOW:sad: I do not believe in hunting right on the line because I have seen to many people shoot across it. But having to give up 75% of your property by your reasoning makes no sense.

The simple fact is the other hunter should have done the right thing. If the guy on the property next to me is not tresspassing or shooting across the line I would be more than happy to put the second arrow in it for him. But I am not moving a 1/4 mile off my line and giving up what I own the right to hunt.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.