Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man that is one sweet bow! Not much I can say that hasn't already been said: smoother than the General's draw, better wall than the Gen or Guardian, quieter than anything I've ever shot, and alot lighter than it looks. Everything that's already been said about the bow is no exaggeration, it's faster than it claims too. I love my Guardian and will most likely never get rid of the two I have but I have to admit they improved on things that I didn't think could be better. The wall is solid as a rock and there's a nice valley too. The draw cycle is long and smooth, not a bad bump at the end like the Gen had, it may not be for everybody but I like the draw and at the shot the bow was completely dead in the hand. I know there has to be some 'shock' and vibration but it only had a small hunting stabilizer on and it was quieter and smoother than any bow I've ever shot (and yes I've shot the mathews right up to the DXT). I've got a video of one shot that I'll try to get up tomorrow. I am not overly brand loyal so I like several different bow companies but the others better bring their best game this year if they want to run with Bowtech. I held a Captain but it wasn't set up ot shoot, that's a nice rig too. I like 34-36" bows better so if I were to buy one it'd probably be the Captain but the Admiral certainly didn't shoot like a 31"er so I wouldn't be too unhappy with that one either. Awesome bows and they look much better in person than in the pics, they're smoother looking than last year's center pivots and fewer moving parts. I didn't see anything I didn't like.

· Registered
15,685 Posts
Only complaint i have one them so far is they seem to really like soft arrows. a 29" draw bow at 70lbs likes a 29.5" 400 spine arrow with a 125gn tip. any stiffer and it was tough to tune. i had to shoot 500's to get both the admiral and captain to shoot for me at 27.5". Maybe it is just my grip on the bow. Either way it shoots very very well.

· Registered
15,685 Posts
I personally like the captain better. It has a smoother draw and was about 4 fps faster when we compared them at 29" the other night. I set up the admiral, captian, swat, and sniper tonight and they all shot really well. Im thinking hoyt or pse will be my bow for 09 though. I love my bowtechs i have now but if hoyt can improve on the katera and from what i read one the new pse's i wouldn't be ashamed to shoot either. i know im gonna build myself a custom proelite this spring after vegas if i get to go. That or if i can get a good deal on a trade for my commander in the next month i may do it before. I think that 09 is going to be a good year for all the manufactures. Our shop carries hoyt, bowtech, and pse and i think all three will have an awesome lineup for this coming year. I think we may confuse a few customers on which bow they really like best.:wink:

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guardians are the same way, another half in shorter arrow and I could shoot a 500 spine in my 3-d bow.

· Registered
15,685 Posts
Guardians are the same way, another half in shorter arrow and I could shoot a 500 spine in my 3-d bow.
But i could tune my gaurdian with a 500 or a 340 arrow at 60lbs. i could not get these to tune at all with the stiffer arrow. maybe my hand position has changed in the last year and a half. my gaurdian would tune to almost any arrow for me. the captain, and admiral seemed to be very spine picky for me.

· The Godfather
7,310 Posts
I had to go and try mine 29/60 lb with a 250 hunter and a 350 hunter both cut at 28" 110gr. I just figured out the bow is set on 28" because I had to go and check the speeds at all even draw lengths.....any way it tuned both shafts off the same rest setting

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was at a shop this weekend and they said they will get them in the end of november
The shop I go to has an Admiral, a Captain, and a SWAT in already. The SWAT looks like a really nice bow, one guy there is a serious Allegiance guru and he said the SWAT is smoother and faster than the Alegiance was.

· Registered
236 Posts
I just went to my local archer shop over lunch, and they had just receive shipment of the Admiral, Captain, SWAT, and Sniper. I shot the Admiral and Capatain side by side and let me tell you, I think I'm going to end up with an Admiral this year. The size was perfect, no noise, no shock, great balance. Both the Captain and Admiral were 60 lb bows maxing out at 61.7 lbs and w/ a 300 grain arrow the BC showed 319 fps. The owner of the shop shot the Captain right away with a 305 grain arrow and it registered 310 at 29". They both had very smooth cams, they actually felt easier to draw and smoother than my Marquis at the same weight. Looks like my bank account is going down a bit soon.

· Registered
267 Posts
...Both the Captain and Admiral were 60 lb bows maxing out at 61.7 lbs and w/ a 300 grain arrow the BC showed 319 fps. ...
I think you should check the poundage again. The one I shot two days ago said 29", 71# @ 318fps. I had to ask the tech to lower to 65# to shoot. He was on the phone with BT, while I stood there, asking about the 60#, and BT told him directly that they don't have any 60# yet. tick tock...

· Registered
273 Posts
I think you should check the poundage again. The one I shot two days ago said 29", 71# @ 318fps. I had to ask the tech to lower to 65# to shoot. He was on the phone with BT, while I stood there, asking about the 60#, and BT told him directly that they don't have any 60# yet. tick tock...
I shot a 60lb Admiral at Crackers yesterday - so I know these are out with 60lb limbs, but the Captain he had had 70lb limbs - these may not be out in 60 yet

· Registered
86 Posts
Epower100 what did you like less about the Admiral compared to your General and Guardian? I'm curious because I am going to try shooting these bows plus the Captain in the next few weeks in my quest for my new bow.

· The Godfather
7,310 Posts
i shot it.. all i could say was "i wouldn't trade my general or guardian for it" just my personal opinion.. they took a half a step backwards.. and i am usually a die-hard bowtech guy.

You should try again because they took a step forward with smoother, faster and just as quiet.

· The Godfather
7,310 Posts
Some one needs their ears clean because there is 60 lbs in both bows

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.