Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to save some $$ , so I bought a morrell bag and stuffed it. I've heard that these bags are suppose to last pretty long, but we'll see, I'm not too convinced. After shooting only one time, the bag was getting torn up in one spot!

I decided to use carpet padding and so far works well for my target bow. However, my 460 grain hunting arrow through my APA Black Mamba went through the 20" thick bag, 2" of foam, and 2 layers of carpet, and the arrow shattered into the brick wall. :doh:

I got the carpet padding for free through a carpet dealer. I needed about 250-300 sqft!

Anyway, this cost me only about $20! Not bad!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did the same thing but if you want next time cut come cardboard for the outer frame it will make ti squarer and to close it I used hog rings the zip ties are not good for long congrats on the new target

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice idea about the cardboard... Thanks..

I did the same thing but if you want next time cut come cardboard for the outer frame it will make ti squarer and to close it I used hog rings the zip ties are not good for long congrats on the new target

·
Registered
279 Posts
your bag needs more stuffing i have one stuffed with carpet foam and is alot taller then yours had to tie it with heavy neylon string

·
Registered
279 Posts
i shoot my monster at the bag that i stuffed and never went through it
good luck i will post some pics in the morning of the bag with the arrows in it :star:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
yeah i agree I am in the process of stuffing one and yours appears to have a little slouch to it.

The bag will wear but you have 16 spots to shoot and 2 sides.

Once you wear the bag out simply slide another cover on it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 460 grain arrow has some serious penetration folks!

But I agree, I probably have lot more arrow penetration than a standard morrell bag.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I know what you mean but I have stuffed one before with a friend and my 80# at 20 yards and right at 100# KE would not go through.

Here is what we did.

Cut the fabric from old clothes in to small strips say 4" wide by what ever long.
Placed the smaller in the top corners and had a kid get in the bad and kick it into the corners.
While his kid was still in the bag started filling it hile the kid kept kicking and stuffing and stomping everything in place.
As the4 bag got halfway full a lot of jumping was involved.
At the end we folded the ends and used ratchet strap to bind it down while we hog ringed it down.
Let the ratchets down slowly and TADA!!!!!

I will post pictures of mine when I get done.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
So is it better to pack them tight then? I have a couple feed sacks I stuffed and they work pretty well but the one that is packed tight seems to allow more penetration then the one that is a little looser. I figured if too tight the stuffing doesn't move to absorb energy and therefore the arrow penetrates but if you had a kid jumping on yours I'd have to believe its tighter than mine. I also had a couple arrows bounce out of mine after hitting an area packed real tight.

·
Registered
279 Posts
here are the picks of the bag that i stuffed with carpet foam and the group out of my monster :darkbeer:

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I know what is contributing to the high penetration. For the most part, I was layering horizontal (like the block), so if there is not lot of compression, an arrow could slide between the layers.

I think I will re-configure, and pad the center w/ old clothes. I just need to convince the wife I need the clothes more than Salvation army.:secret:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I would think the opposite happens. Lose would allow the arrow to find a hole, especially after about 1000 shots.

Also if you hang the bag you will get more energy absorbtion as the swing of the bag will deflect the arrows momentum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was told that you should hang ur bags and not have them sitting or mounted solid , that way when you shoot them they can swing and move some when you shoot them to help absorb some of the impact.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, that would definitely help... I am going to re-bag and use a center core made of clothes, I'll take some pics.

I don't think I'll need to hang the target.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So is it better to pack them tight then? I have a couple feed sacks I stuffed and they work pretty well but the one that is packed tight seems to allow more penetration then the one that is a little looser. I figured if too tight the stuffing doesn't move to absorb energy and therefore the arrow penetrates but if you had a kid jumping on yours I'd have to believe its tighter than mine. I also had a couple arrows bounce out of mine after hitting an area packed real tight.
How would you make feed sack targets hang? I was thinking about stuffing a bag really tight then taking two 2x4s and screwing them together with the bag in between them. You could cut two notches out on the 2x4s so you could run some ratchet straps around the bag to keep it tight and then use the boards for compression tension and to hang the bag up without risking the feed bag ripping.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
How would you make feed sack targets hang? I
What I do is stuff them most of the way then roll the top down to the stuffing and twist the corners to tighten it up. The twisted sections then get tied off with cable ties or twine creating a set of ears for lack of better terminology. You can then tie a loop off each ear and hang it. Works pretty good. The ones I've been shooting I have not hung but I made them that way so I can hang them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts