Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I went out this morning after having my wife take two pics on my draw because I did not feel I had the same hold point. The truth is in both pics.
I seem to have to stretch to get the full draw. Also a few times the bow wants to go forward and tad bit so I have to catch it and pull back again. And I did notice I was not touching my nose as I draw a few times.

What I noticed this morning trying to tune in ↔ to the vertical line No matter how much I move the site to the right I seem to drift back to the same point.

???? Could I be pulling the drawing into my face to much? My grip is loose as I do shoot. Trying to do my mental notes in my head..

{In the two pic's I am griping the bow, Only because she was taking to much time taken the pics........}

******Going off that diagnoses of what I am feeling and doing, Is the right choice to shorten the draw length?

When they sized me up, I reached out for them to take the measurement. But I may have been stretching out as long as I can as to just putting my arms out relaxed as I been reading and watching now...

*** My bow is set @ 28.5 (G) at this time.

Had to change sides of the house for better lighting.. I asked for a close up of both, but this is what I got. But it is telling me what I was thinking...

****My stance is going to always be off being I broke my pelvic and I sit crocked and the hips are off. I am also a "Pegleg" lower right leg..
People have fun working with me over all this.... "Life goes on"

Can I say I like a challenge?

Attachments

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Your an inch long on draw but send Nuts & Bolts a PM cause you have a bunch of issues with your form... You need to start from scratch cause you have a number of issues.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me I am still new in this game and I can still be trained...
I figured I was long,,, Thanks for verifying that one.

The one major problem will be my bottom from hips down... As stated at the start of this thread, I broke my pelvis and my bottom is pointing in the WRONG direction... I am turned about 10 - 15 Deg to the right on the bottom. They said I broke in half and healed crocked.

I think I am leaning back to composite the length of the draw. Chime in if I am wrong.

·
Registered
20,666 Posts
1st thing I'd do is get a consistent base with your feet. Should be shoulder width apart, toes lined up or your front foot slightly open in front of the other. Then stand up nice and straight at your waist. Your draw is every bit of 1" long and is actually probably more. It might be worth your time to nock an inch off and take new pics with your feet in a consistent position and with the camera perpendicular to where you're shooting.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Feet shoulder width apart, put a reference on the ground, an arrow will work, point it straight at the target, put your toes on both feet right up to the arrow. look up bow had grip position, you have too much had in the grip, you are leaning waaay back, stand against a door frame so your body is straight and aim at a target the height of your shoulders. I would gusee your draw will be an inch or more long after this.

Search here there are tons of photos of guys N&B got straightened out and compare yourself to them!

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Yes, at least an inch.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It's funny how many people just went right to the pictures without actually reading your post. If I were you I would shorten the draw FIRST then come back and post more pictures that way you can take it 1 step at a time since you aren't able to stand straight as you mentioned.

I'm sure there is a comfortable medium somewhere in there for you, how are your groups?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
To be honest, we need to post a picture of yourself form above and behind. It is hard to tell what your should-to-bow arm alignment is like. But based on coaching kids I would bet that your shoulders are no where near inline with your bow arm. That could easily take up the 1" too long you think you are.

To test that premise, take a long rod (broom handle, robinhooded arrow, etc) and have someone place it along your shoulder blades. It SHOULD be pointing in the same direction as your arm. If it is not (yours will probably be pointed way right) you need to close your stance and coil your upper body (turn it toward the target without rotating your hips). This will help get your upper body in alignment.

Look up some of nuts&bolts threads with pictures and you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am glad someone is taking in consideration my positioning to start with.

Trust me this has NOT EVER been an easy road getting my stance like everyone else....
I have been reading all the links and pages that have come across from others that did comment on my thread. I do Really appreciate all the feed back.... I did just use the door frame heal to shoulders. All I can say and **** that hurt.

From what I think I have been reading is: (My words), Put a large clock on the ground under you, Place your feet @ 6 and 12. (12 o'clock to the target) Would I be right? My stance has to be at 7 and 1 for me Remember I am also left handed... you would be 5 and 11... @ the 6 / 12 I hit every nerve that is pinched in there....

I will also have my wife spoting me on my Vertical form when she gets home....

In regards to the DL. My bow is a PSE Drive DC. here is a pic setings at (G), I want to take it down 1" for starters, that would be (I) from the PSE Tune chart for my bow... Can I do this without a press (This would be from guys that now how to set there bows)
I do not have a press at this time and I want to get started fining my problem (S) ASAP... The start is there.

PSE Cam.jpg

It's funny how many people just went right to the pictures without actually reading your post. If I were you I would shorten the draw FIRST then come back and post more pictures that way you can take it 1 step at a time since you aren't able to stand straight as you mentioned.

I'm sure there is a comfortable medium somewhere in there for you, how are your groups?

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
you should be able to adjust without a press, make sure all mods and draw stops are on I! you can see how one mod screw is behind the limb in the pic, but you can pull down on a cable and rotate the cam a little to get to it!

·
Registered
436 Posts

I believe he added the information about his past after the fact. I'd get with nb

·
Registered
20,666 Posts
I am glad someone is taking in consideration my positioning to start with.

Trust me this has NOT EVER been an easy road getting my stance like everyone else....
I have been reading all the links and pages that have come across from others that did comment on my thread. I do Really appreciate all the feed back.... I did just use the door frame heal to shoulders. All I can say and **** that hurt.

From what I think I have been reading is: (My words), Put a large clock on the ground under you, Place your feet @ 6 and 12. (12 o'clock to the target) Would I be right? My stance has to be at 7 and 1 for me Remember I am also left handed... you would be 5 and 11... @ the 6 / 12 I hit every nerve that is pinched in there....

I will also have my wife spoting me on my Vertical form when she gets home....

In regards to the DL. My bow is a PSE Drive DC. here is a pic setings at (G), I want to take it down 1" for starters, that would be (I) from the PSE Tune chart for my bow... Can I do this without a press (This would be from guys that now how to set there bows)
I do not have a press at this time and I want to get started fining my problem (S) ASAP... The start is there.

View attachment 1829453
7 & 1 with your feet is fine. A lot of people shoot slightly open. You just need to do it the same every time. In your two pics your stance is noticeably different and that's why people told you to use a reference line. Does it hurt to stand up straight? In your pics, you're standing with a hyperlordotic lumbar spine. Basically you have a big arch in your lower back. Is that due to the pelvic fracture or is that something that happens only when shooting?

If it's shooting only, try to stand up straight without the sway in your back.

You can technically adjust the DL on that bow but the way PSE designed the module, for many of the settings, the mod screw is inconveniently located behind the limb.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I took 1 " off the DL had to add 1/2 turn to the limbs, lower my impact point (it was about 8" high on 3 arrows @ 10yds).

Went to shoot and checked my stance at the line. I stood sideways feet shown pointing 6 / 12 to the target, balanced myself vertical and drew the bow thinking of my shoulders and bow arm to be straight as one and visually doing a vertical check in head , pulled back and locked my thumb under my jaw till the string touched my nose, released and my group was moreless consistent to the right... About a 6" group.

Just getting tired and the sun set anyway...

Wife will be leaving for 2 weeks so will have her do a pic of me outside mock shooting. Hope we can see what else needs to be done......

The black line points to the target direction of the stance I used... I marked the forward foot as my "Pegleg"... No pivot adjustment to that... It is just there for the ride.

Wife was not home at this time for pics...

get some pics in the morning before I run her to the airport.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I stand to long my back starts to give out so Yes I sorta lean back. them pics were as the sun was setting, and had a long day standing and working around the house and catching some arrow time in between. I guess I take that for granite and forget I am doing it.. 30 yrs of this crap.

Looks like someone has a medical background to catch that... Funny, the doctors told me how my life was gonna be.... Boy are they all long off.... I do all this for my therapy. I may be stupid making life harder, but I am having as much fun as I can... My new wheel chair (ya right) is my Avatar.... Kidding, I do not need one of them.

30 yrs playing darts, 20 sum yrs Trap, skeet, and sporting clays... Now taking on bow shooting.... Just trying to have as much fun as I can while I can...
I do know it is up hill doing a lot of this as it is easy for most of you, But that is the challenge I like....

Hope some of you hang in there to give me pointers,,, I may be your best challenge to teach...
"Help the handicap, that can't do much but they sure are fun to watch..." Now I can say that as a joke... Life is good...

7 & 1 with your feet is fine. A lot of people shoot slightly open. You just need to do it the same every time. In your two pics your stance is noticeably different and that's why people told you to use a reference line. Does it hurt to stand up straight? In your pics, you're standing with a hyperlordotic lumbar spine. Basically you have a big arch in your lower back. Is that due to the pelvic fracture or is that something that happens only when shooting?

If it's shooting only, try to stand up straight without the sway in your back.

You can technically adjust the DL on that bow but the way PSE designed the module, for many of the settings, the mod screw is inconveniently located behind the limb.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My best sugestion is shoot nuts&bolts a pm. He is the guru. He helped me and alot of other people. Hope you get er figured out.
keep flinging arrows and having fun.
Jesse

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
First of all, since you are doing this for fun, stand however you need to stand to be comfortable. If I were you, I would go down at least 1 1/2" from where you started. You may need to adjust your peep height after that. Next thing, wait for nuts&bolts, he will no doubt be your best mode of advice.

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
The only thing I'm going to offer for your left right----------your hand position on the bow needs work. From your first pictures your chokeing that grip too much. That causes torque, your left right hits. Consider that grip a baby's arm ------don't break it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had my wife take a few pics of me at a full draw stance in the house up next to a wall and I can spot my flaws just looking at them myself. I spotted my footing leaning back on the good leg in a few and balanced in the others. Draw mount seam consistent locking under my jaw hinge with my thumb tip touching it. The elbow was high in the air instead of vertical to shoulders. . ..
After taking 1 " off the bow it feels better (27.5") But I may need to take another 1/2 " off later. I will try this DL for a few days after watching what I think I done wrong and see if I can fix my flaws...

Wife is gone till after Xmas so I have a lot of time to work on what I am doing... Just need to go down the check list in my head till it can comes natural.
I may even set up a video camera at my side as I shoot and play that back to watch everything I am doing... We use to do that for trap shooting training for me and others... It was also mounted in front of the barrel of the gun and one at the side for different views. then sit down and review it all..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts