Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time that I seek professional help. I've been shooting long enough just screwing around, now I actually want to try to get better so I can (maybe) get ready for Darrington. Is there a list of coaches who teach field anywhere on the NFAA website or other?

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Not that I am aware of....but you really don't need a coach to learn to shoot field. If your looking for shooting help then that's a different story.
But there is nothing that you can't learn here or shooting with better or more veteran field shooters :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Practice just like you would indoors. Make the same shot all the time. Form is a biggie outdoors. You would shoot the 80YD WU the same as the bunnies. If you have some kind of form flaw though, it gets a little worse the further out you go(torquing, bad habits). Now is the time to work on that form indoors. I don't need to be perfect form, but what is comfortable to you, and as long as you can do it the same all the time. Once the weather breaks and can begin to shoot outdopors, just work on shooting at all the distances. Don't get obsessed with 80YDS, but do practice it. I probably spend more time at 40/50/60YDS than any other distance. Sometimes for fun, I'll shoot the smaller size targets at the next farthest distance(ie...10YD face at 30YDS, 30YD face at 50YDS and 50YD face at 80YDS). Just adds a little fun to it, and makes you focus a little more at that distance. Just remember to practice, practice, practice, then practice some more, and have fun while doing it!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Want to shoot better

Shooting Field , I start with a list of things to keep me calm ,
Step to the line,
Set stance,
Nock arrow ,
Set release,
Draw ,
Aim ,
Release
Follow through.
I find when I do this, I am thinking not so much of my target and makes the shot much easier and if you keep doing it every time it soon becomes natural. I also find shooting 30 m a good average to start , then 70m , when I go back to 20m and 30m the arrows seem to just fall in the ten ring. Also bow set up is #1. I have not shot field for 2 years and I just got my new Vantage Elite, I hope to do good things with it. Also shoot Mathews switch back and an older Feathermax ,I cant get over this bow and it can punch holes in mule deer at 63meters .
THANKS ARROWS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just completed a shooting school a few weeks ago and I would say to you find a coach or a school where you can get in and learn about good form and what goes into making good form.Once you learn what it looks like and you know how to achieve it you will put your self on the road to good shooting.All the other skills and tricks can as the others have said can be learned here or from other good shooters.But I feel that form is the key and there are many little details that you may not see that a coach or workshop/school teacher can help you with.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
But I feel that form is the key and there are many little details that you may not see that a coach or workshop/school teacher can help you with.

I agree 100% with Phoenix, I've been shooting IFAA international for a number of years with no formal coaching except from some very experienced Field Archers over the years, I've picked up more than my share of medals at World\European tourneys, I just had coaching from top Korean Coach Kim Hyung Tak and I learned a heap of stuff about my shooting form and corrected some ingrained bad habits that I thought he would never be able to correct. Amazing eye for detail and Coach Kim spotted errors with other Archers i never saw till he pointed them out.

It's never too late to get decent coaching and as Phoenix said a good Coach can spot form errors very quickly and save you months of trial and error.

If you can't find a good NFAA Coach might be worth trying to look for a level 3 or above Fita Coach.

·
Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
I think it's time that I seek professional help. I've been shooting long enough just screwing around, now I actually want to try to get better so I can (maybe) get ready for Darrington. Is there a list of coaches who teach field anywhere on the NFAA website or other?
Practice quality over quantity. Make each shot count and really pay attention to your shot. Order yourself a set of field targets from Lancasters and practice each distance. Right before I go to a shoot I do all my shooting at the longer distances and get real comfortable with them. Even though you will only shoot a handful fo 80 yard arrows in a week it makes those mid range ones chip shots. And don't neglect the 20 yards and shorter. Those need to be gimmies in your arsenal. I use them to refine my form.

As far as uphill, downhill and footing goes. Practice what you can and deal with the real thing when you get there. Cuz that 80 yards walk up at Darrington never looks and feels like it does where you practice. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts