Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this year I was in an Academy store and bought a Game Winner Sling Stand at a great price (Little did I know!!". The link for this stand, with a picture, is given below. Yesterday I took it out of the box and hung it in a tree. As Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!" - - - I can't for the life of me figure out how you can safely step into this contraption! I hung it several feet below the top of my climbing sticks and no matter how I oriented it, I could not safely step out far enough to get good footing on the bottom of the stand before I swung my weight over to put both feet on the platform. A combination of the sling seat and the diagonally oriented bracing bar extended way too far out toward the "end" of the bottom platform. Even with a safety harness I was not about to "leap" from the climbing sticks to the platform.

I personally can't believe the TMA approved this design, but perhaps more importantly, I can't believe I was so stupid as to not see that this would be a problem. There's always a chance that I'm not seeing the correct way to enter this hang-on stand from the climbing sticks, so if you have done it, please tell me how you did it without being 6"8" and have legs longer than Abe Lincoln's!

Thanks,

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_316957_-1?N=329211229

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Sorry.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i kinda of like its design, I would use climbing sticks to get to it. that hinged front side is a neat idea.

·
Registered
180 Posts
take the front rail off? screw a peg about the stand to hold onto? if its below the top of your sticks you shouldn't have a problem if the stand is mounted very securely bit i can see where it'd be a long step with that rail on it

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i kinda of like its design, I would use climbing sticks to get to it. that hinged front side is a neat idea.
So, with the hinged front side raised, exactly how do you step from the climbing sticks onto the stand? I cannot get a foot out far enough (past the diagonal bar and the sling seat) to get safely balanced before I swing my second foot over the the platform.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take the front rail off? screw a peg about the stand to hold onto? if its below the top of your sticks you shouldn't have a problem if the stand is mounted very securely bit i can see where it'd be a long step with that rail on it
Believe me, the rail isn't the problem. It can be raised and "bungeed" to the tree if necessary. The fabric "sling seat" and that diagonal bar extend waaaay to far out to make that step easy. I've used Loc-On's, Old Man and other hanging stand designs and have never had any problem stepping into them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah thats a tough one....still got the receipt???:pukey:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Would it be easier to put a screw it step above it to hang on too then step into the seat?

·
Embrace the suck!
7,789 Posts
You're only supposed to hang that style of stand 2 feet off of the ground. Duh.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,789 Posts
Wait, I got it. First call your life insurance agent to make sure your premiums are current. Then get a rope ladder and hang it off the front. After you get the stand hung you can take your climbing sticks down and use them somewhere else. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hang it in one tree, put the sticks on another in front of it, step in from the front.

·
Registered
485 Posts
From the pic it looks like the handrail should rotate up out of the way, get in sit down and close the handrail like a carinval ride?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would it be easier to put a screw it step above it to hang on too then step into the seat?
This might work, but it will still be a hairy, scary "jump" from the sticks to the platform. At least with the tree step you would have a firm grip on something!

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hang it in one tree, put the sticks on another in front of it, step in from the front.
OK, but which tree do I have my safety harness attached to before the big step!?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just take it back?? Even if you figure out how to get in it, the thought of that first step will always be hauting you!!!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I would not have bought into that. Sorry

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just take it back?? Even if you figure out how to get in it, the thought of that first step will always be hauting you!!!
Best plan so far!!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey man I actually work at academy and we are about to put tree stands on display I'm sure we will be putting this one up so I will try and figure it out for ya

·
Registered
69 Posts
Believe me, the rail isn't the problem. It can be raised and "bungeed" to the tree if necessary. The fabric "sling seat" and that diagonal bar extend waaaay to far out to make that step easy. I've used Loc-On's, Old Man and other hanging stand designs and have never had any problem stepping into them.
Also hang the stand below the top of your climbing sticks and close to the stand. Put a screw-in step directly above the stand for support when stepping over. You should
be fine. If it makes you uncomfortable take the stand back...not worth taking a chance!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts