Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, been talking with nuts n bolts, I dont know how to send a pic in a pm so here goes. First off, I have been having problems with creeping forward occasionally. Also, sometimes I catch myself letting my left arm down slightly causing me to raise my shoulder. I dont know if I need to shorten my draw some or if it is just me being lazy on form. I catch myself doing the above things and let down and start over. I just feel like there is something causing this. I only do it when I really concentrate on aiming. I am almost to the point where I dont have to think about my release going off. ( maybe dl needs to be 1/4 shorter??) Open to suggestions. These pics are while I am pulling through just before my shot breaks.

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Looks pretty darn good to me if I was you and was going to change anything I would maybe depending on your scores might bend the bow arm a tad this would lower your release elbow ever so slightly and maybe open up your stance a touch,but like I said looks pretty good and I do think bending the arm will help you not fall out of the valley as much but you may have to shorten the draw to do this.Sorry Im not much help Maybe nuts and bolts will come on he is pretty good at this sort of thing if anyone can see any improvemnt to add he will be the guy.I would PM him and post a link to this thread in the PM left click on the bar at the top it tuns black then right click and choose copy go to the pm left click then right click and choose paste.

· Registered
1,950 Posts
Looks pretty darn good to me. One question though, For your release anchor. What are you using for a point of reference? I have to angle my release and tuck my nuckle (between my index finger and middle finger) under my jaw bone. When I bring it back vertical I get a little inconsistant and find it sometimes gets me to collapse my bow arm (just a bit). Not sure why?

· Registered
1,880 Posts
just looking at the pics from behind again it does look like your head is leaning in towards the string,not sure if this is correct or not though just kinda caught my eye and looked a bit diff.I would think if you raised your peep bent your bow arm a tad more it would bring the string more into your face anchor would be a touch back head would raise and release shoulder would come down a touch might look better.Also looks like were the nock meets the arrow is in front of your eye and from what I have seen nuts n bolts pot b4 it is suppost to be in the center of your eye which if you do what I suggested should bring that in to the center of your eye

· Registered
9,202 Posts
With compound shooting I wouldn't isolate head as any key culprit to whatever major issues you may have.
But then again, you could just simply be trying too hard to get it all done and end up ruining the parts of the posture like you described with the arm/shoulder.
If you feel you're not always solidly at the cam-stop at full draw, then yeah, shorten the DL by 1/4'' just to try how it feels, if nothing else...
Other than that, I think you know the answer yourself: practice practice practice, and stay focused.... don't fling any of the arrows, make every shot count and provide feedback.

· Registered
1,880 Posts
When youare ay full draw does it feel like you are cramed up or does it feel like you are stretching to hold it in the valley?Do your pins make smooth motions or short and jerky motions when trying to hold on the dot?To me it almost looks like the draw is to short but without the bow arm bent it is hard to tell.

· Registered
2,005 Posts
From looking at the picture there really isn't anything to improve that I see. Try shortening the draw just a little maybe 1/8" and see if it changes anything. Letting down is not a bad thing. If anything I think it might just be a mental battle to balance out the aiming and pulling. Good Luck.

· Registered
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I first pull back, I feel very hard into the wall. I keep that feeling and am not sure when it happens but I ease off and catch myself coming out of the valley. Sometimes I feel a little stretched out. Not cramped at all, but I'm afraid that a full half will cramp me. I can deal with a 1/4 if thats what I need to do.

· Registered
9,202 Posts
When I first pull back, I feel very hard into the wall. I keep that feeling and am not sure when it happens but I ease off and catch myself coming out of the valley. Sometimes I feel a little stretched out. Not cramped at all, but I'm afraid that a full half will cramp me. I can deal with a 1/4 if thats what I need to do.
Did you not just say those pics were taken while pulling through? If you're pulling through and if you feel you're hitting the stop AGAIN, then you need to check for either DL or your alignment - IE if the alignment has been affected in between you 1st anchored and by the time you're firing the bow. Could be a few things here - shoulders not always positioned the same, bowarm variances etc... If that's ok, then most likely you could have a slightly long DL.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.