Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam new with trail cameras I put out the 540IR steath cam on a deer trail cleared all the branches away from in front of it and set it up on the highest resolutions and 3 pic burst mode set for farest coverage area.
Went back aweek later and had 1265 pics on it well they were just pics of the woods no deer cam was postioned with the sun rise to the back of the cam. Why? did the cam take pics of nothing what did I do wrong?????? Need help!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

ttt

·
Registered
419 Posts
Im not an expert but isn't the trigger time on that cam around 4-4.5 seconds? All of the blank pictures could have been an animal the camera picked up on but passed through by the time the camera trigured. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have pics of the woods on all the pics I dont know why I got all the false triggers the cam took pics when notthing was there?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Something might have BEEN there, but passed through by the time the cam snapped the pic.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that could happen but I set it up to take 3 pics in a row before it reset it self and it took 1265 pics in one week thats why I must of did something wrong Iam new at this and got the cam for xmas

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
May have a bad motion PIR detector. It can cause the camera to take pics of nothing, just a leaf blowing around.

I would contact the Manufacturer and ask them. But that is alot of empty pics in 1 week to be all deer or other animals moving too quickly.

How close was the trail to the camera? Did you set the camera perpendicular to the trail? Angle the camera towards or down the trail and see if this helps. If the trigger speed is that slow 4+ seconds, you need to give it more time to trigger. Try the camera on a mneral station or a food source, where the deer will remain in a position to allow the camera to take a pic.

·
Paul
723 Posts
Try putting something in front of the camera to get them to STOP - or at least - slow down...maybe that will help you figure out what the issues are.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More feed back

Thanks guys I moved the cam so it is angled to the trial and moved the PIR to the near setting to see if that would help. IF anybody else has ideas or owns the 540 IR and knows somthing leave me some more feed back and Ill check it out tomorrow thanks.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I had that cam. I took it back to Gander Mtn. It took pics if the animal was walking towards the cam. But if anything walked across the cams view the trigger speed was to slow. Worth the extra $ to get the $199 Cuddeback or HCO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Igot as a gift and I got a cuddyback for christmas and so far I have not had trouble with it . I have to go back out to see if my steath cam is working after my move I just wanted to use it and have two cams out if it does not show a change Ill can the thing and get somthing else.
Where can i find how to make a home brew I never knew anybody was doing that I would like to try to make one.:read2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not familiar with the model you have. Does it have an IR flash? I set my i40 perpendicular to a deer trail and got losts of good pics. My camera is set to take a hi-res 5 second video then a picture. It seems at night the IR flash holds the deer's attention long for it to stop and stare right at the camera. I think that would be the same for all IR flash camera's.

Terry

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes its an ir model I just started doing trial cams this spring

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,441 Posts
sorry to be the one

to break it to you, but the trigger speed on that cam is real slow. It will detect motion, but the game will be in the next county byt the time the camera shutters the pic. You can help yourself by using some feed and/or facing the cam up and down the trails as oppossed to across them. Be sure to take a compass with you to ensure that the cam is not putting due east or west as the sunrise/set will trigger pics. If you can return it, I would.

If you want to stay in the commercial realm give the SG550 and I40 a look. The SG has taken the $200 price point by storm, there have been some reported isues with moisture leaking in, in fact, I had on leak.

Check out this site for comprehensive bi-partisan reviews......
http://www.chasingame.com/

You could also look into a P32 IR Homebrew. You won't be disapointed.

if I can be of any help, hit me with a PM.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally a pic

thanks 12 ringer I will point it in a different direction , this cammera isnt very good thats true.
I finally got a pic also racoons were setting it off all nite.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts