Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IBO just changed the crossbow rules, again! There was a rule change in January 2009. Then March 20, 2009 they changed them again! Now there are arrow weight minimums for speed classes! ( Go to IBO.net, and look under the "News" section for the "NEW" rules) The only thing I see with these "New" March rules is that it is now geared for the FAST bows. The slower bows are handicapped by having to shoot arrows heavy enough to slow them down disproportionately! I'll give one example. A bow shooting between 301 and 325 fps (say 303 fps as an Ibex will with 425 gr) is required to shoot a minimum 425 gr arrow. A bow shooting over 325 fps (say 345 fps as a Cyclone will with 450 gr) has to shoot a minium 450 gr arrow. Both of the bows mentioned lost 10 fps from my preferred arrow weight, but favors the faster bow. The difference in trajectory for the slower bow at 45 yds ( the max yardage) is 5.1". This forces the slower bow shooter be MUCH better at yardage estimation to score the same as the faster bow shooter, due to more drop. Let's not even consider the Stryke Force!

This greatly upset me as I just bought a new bow that fit the January rules perfectly, spent over a month tuning, and now I find myself behind the 8 ball! If I would be allowed to shoot an arrow that is deemed safe by the manufacturer, but less than the "New" IBO rules, I would still be behind, but only by about 2.5". The IBO has now "stacked" the playing field in favor of the faster bows. If this change had come about one month earlier, I would not have bought a new bow, but used my hunting setup.

I have emailed the IBO voicing my dissatisfaction with the rule changes. I have asked them to eliminate the arbitrary arrow weight minimums for bows shooting less than 325 fps, as long as manufacturer minimums are met. I am sure this will not happen, as the rule books are already printed! I thought the rules from January were not the best, but the March revision, absurd!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
vaguru,
I'm sorry to hear about how the situation affects you.

I really don't know much about it, but competitive shooting does interest me quite a bit.

How do I get plugged in so that I can learn more about competitive shooting with my crossbow?

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Vaguru

Hang on for a while and it's likely they'll change the rules again in your favor.
What they are doing is exactly why I have no interest in anything other than local casual shoots anymore where I can shoot any combination I want to that will be a hunting related setup. Chasing my tail trying to determine what is an optimum setup while rules constantly change would drive me crazy........uh.......crazier:D

G

·
not really surprised, they have been known for things like this, you should just come and shoot in Ontario, crossbow class at every 3-D shoot and max speed of 350fps, we went with 350fps because this is what is commonly available for compounds bows now and provides a good medium for the crossbows, some are faster stock some are slower but will still fall into manufactuers minimums, we have always found the IBO to be laging greatly with reguards to crossbows

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ibo

Has ALWAYS had rule change after rule change-----depending on how the $$$$ flows----biggest reason ASA sprung ahead of them.;)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called IBO today but wasn't able to talk with anyone about my comments/concerns mentioned in my email. I was told the email has been forwarded to the BOD and I was asked to call back Monday after they had time to digest my comments/concerns. I WILL do that!

Revival,

Check the web sites for NFAA, NAA, IBO and the World Crossbow Assoc. You can get all the info you require. I would list the addys, but the only one I have currently is the IBO's. If you need any further assistance send me a PM.

Sean,

I would love to come shoot with you, but.....it's a LONG way!

BUS314,

I have contacted ASA about crossbows, about 3 weeks ago, and still have no reply. Apparently they don't have interest, or the courtesy to respond. Maybe they are just busy.

Stored,

Not sure about that one, but what I do know is that when I decided to go IBO legal, there were very few bows that met the restrictions. Opening it up by eliminating the weight restriction allows more models. The minimum arrow wweights however, are ridiculous!

Moon,

I understand, but I like to compete! We have discussed this in the past and you know my feelings. Are you going to Doxie Saturday? Sent you an email.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Don't go Saturday!!

That's their traditional day:eek: I may go Sunday (shoot what you "brung" day).

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Moon, got it both ways. Let me know.

·
Registered
492 Posts
sorry

I didn't mean to reference that to crossbows, just my past observations with compounds-----I don't know if ASA even allows crossbows, but my guess is no.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Vaguru

I gave you bum advice again:eek: The shoot is tomorrow beucause next weekend is their traditional 2 day shoot, plus Sunday is Easter. I will be at the range about 8:30 in the morning.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Moon,

I'll probably be there 11 am, maybe a bit earlier. Hope the rain is over by then.

Look for me. If something comes up, I'll call you on your cell.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Final word from IBO

I talked to the President of IBO today. Ken called me and we had a nice disccussion. Unfortunately, he was not involved with the change in the crossbow rules. He suggested I repeat my concerns/comments to Terry Walters, the Director in charge of the change. Terry returned my call later in the day, and we also had a lengthy discussion. He explained his reasons for the change, and how it came to be. Terry did appreciate my view as well. Terry did answer all my other questions related to the wording within the rules to my sastifaction.

The bottom line is, the March 20, 2009 Rule Change will stand, at least for today. There are other things being considered, but until crossbow shooter numbers rise......

I think there are some real issues with the rules as written. Specifically the minimum arrow weights. Terry and Ken, both agreed that this specific ruling is disadvantageous to certain bows, but that it is the same for certain vertical bow shooters. Terry and I agreed to disagree on this point. It is easy to correct. We are to remember that this (the rules) is a "work in progress".

If more shooters is the goal, I don't see how this will help the cause. Yes more models of bows are now allowed, but I suspect the experienced "serious" shooter may opt for one of the "speed" models as there is a decided advantage. I'm sure the "newbies" to crossbow will also find the faster bows more appealing. As for me, I built up a half dozen of the required minimum weight arrows (for my speed class), and am considering selling/trading my "new" (6 week old) bow for a new Strykeforce. :rolleyes:

It is nice to know though, that rules can be changed this quickly (within 3 months). There is still time to get it right before the Worlds. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts