Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Im pretty sure its 280fps or 5gpi most hunter class or Bowhunter class were at the 280fps

·
formerly 3drcher48
5,869 Posts
Did it get changed? I thought you had a choice of either 5 gr./lb, or 280 max fps. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think the 280fps applys for ASA not IBO but I could be wrong. I saw a lot of people shooting Monsters at McKean PA, and the Worlds though that definately were shooting over 300fps. Not sure about arrow weight but 5 grains per pound sounds right because shooting anything lower would be considered dangerous anyhow.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
5 grains of arrow weight per lb of draw weight, or 280 fps your choice.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
%gpp or if you can not reach 5gpp then 280 is the speed limit. in otherwords if your bow bottoms out at 60 and your arrow weights 295 then your speed limit is 280

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
5 grains of arrow weight per lb of draw weight, or 280 fps your choice.
......Toad nailed it...5 G.P.P. minimum, OR 280 f.p.s., max, at ANY arrow weight UNDER 5 g.p.p.....This is for folks shooting slow bows, that want to get arrow speeds up to 280 f.p.s., that cant shoot 280 f.p.s. unless they shoot LESS than 5 g.p.p. arrows...Example, an older round wheel bow, and a short draw wont shoot 5 grains per bow pound anywhere near 280 f.p.s...I chrono'd my Pro Elite with LX Pro limbs, and Accuwheels on it...At 28" draw, and 5 g.p.p., with a peep in the string, it was shooting approx. 245 f.p.s...I would have to go way below 5 g.p.p. to see 280 f.p.s. chrono reading with this bow...But, if an archer is shooting above 280 f.p.s., and Their arrows are less than 5 g.p.p., they will be D.Q.'d......Harperman

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
does it go by the max weight of your limbs or what your bow is set up at?
....it will be checked by the weight that Your bow is set on, VS. the arrows weight, both will be checked....If the arrows You are shooting weigh less than 5 G.P.P., then Your bow will be chronographed.....If it exceeeds 280 f.p.s., (with a variable allowance for differences in chrono , and arrow and bow weight scales), then You will be D.Q.'d....So, in short, IF Your arrows weight less than 5 G.P.P., AND Your bow is shooting in excess of 280 f.p.s., then Your illegal...Harperman

·
Bent Not Broken
3,448 Posts
Thanks I was wondering this too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts