Archery Talk Forum banner

IBO Speed rating standrads

813 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jrip
I've heard that the IBO is going to crack down IBO speed ratings. Anyone heard more on this? My understanding is 70# at 30" using a 350 grain arrow.

My problem is with the 30". I've tested a few bows and it seems draw length is a big problem. One companies 30" draw can often be longer than the next.

My Hoyt set at 30" seems to be right on the money. My X-Force set on 30" is in fact 30-3/8". The High Country Iron Mase I tested last year was 30-3/4".

How can anyone really know the IBO speed of a bow if the draw lengths vary this much?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,496 Posts
It has been like this for a while now, this is how companies can fudge more speed. Standards are that you have to be within 3/4" of a stated draw length, so that 30 3/4" is within standard. I would like to see that number change. A lot of companies are recognizing this now though...

· Registered
455 Posts
Who is the IBO to 'crack down' on anything the bow companies do? They are only a 3-D org., not the bow police.

· Banned
3,067 Posts
I've heard that the IBO is going to crack down IBO speed ratings. Anyone heard more on this? My understanding is 70# at 30" using a 350 grain arrow.

My problem is with the 30". I've tested a few bows and it seems draw length is a big problem. One companies 30" draw can often be longer than the next.

My Hoyt set at 30" seems to be right on the money. My X-Force set on 30" is in fact 30-3/8". The High Country Iron Mase I tested last year was 30-3/4".

How can anyone really know the IBO speed of a bow if the draw lengths vary this much?
Even though the bow may draw longer than 30"before it hits the draw stop. If the manufacturer follows the rules they only draw the bow to 30"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.