Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
241 Posts
IBO Speed is with a 70lb bow and a 350 grain arrow (5 grains per pound)
now fps thats just feet per second sometimes you see ata speed not sure what that is

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Ben6deerhunter said:
IBO Speed is with a 70lb bow and a 350 grain arrow (5 grains per pound)
now fps thats just feet per second sometimes you see ata speed not sure what that is
That is AMO rating and it's 30" draw, 60lbs, 540gr arrow or 9gpp.

·
Registered
158 Posts
See if this helps, IBO speeds are the minimum specs a company can get away with. For instance IBO states that for every lb of draw weight your arrow must weigh 5 grains.(70lbs X .5 = 350) My bowtech shot 324 IBO but thats at the companys testing fac. with a 350 grain arrow, Nothing on the string etc...bare bow in other words. Now once you add peep, d ring, silencers etc the IBO(fps) slows down. No one shoots a IBO spec arrow b/c even thoug a 70lb bow with a 30 inch DL CAN shoot a 350 grain arrow it isnt good for the life off the bow, its almost like dry firing it in my opinion. Any way, IBO and FPS are the same, just that IBO specs are'nt realistic in the woods hunting. Once you add everything you need to hunt youll hardly ever reach IBO. ( I did reach IBO specs on my bow though) I just got lucky i guess.

GUYS if i am wrong on this please correct me, thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
emtguy said:
See if this helps, IBO speeds are the minimum specs a company can get away with. For instance IBO states that for every lb of draw weight your arrow must weigh 5 grains.(70lbs X .5 = 350) My bowtech shot 324 IBO but thats at the companys testing fac. with a 350 grain arrow, Nothing on the string etc...bare bow in other words. Now once you add peep, d ring, silencers etc the IBO(fps) slows down. No one shoots a IBO spec arrow b/c even thoug a 70lb bow with a 30 inch DL CAN shoot a 350 grain arrow it isnt good for the life off the bow, its almost like dry firing it in my opinion. Any way, IBO and FPS are the same, just that IBO specs are'nt realistic in the woods hunting. Once you add everything you need to hunt youll hardly ever reach IBO. ( I did reach IBO specs on my bow though) I just got lucky i guess.

GUYS if i am wrong on this please correct me, thanks
Wow two different threads same answer for both. Bowtechs IBO speed ratings are obtained with factory installed brass nock and hush kit(like it is when you buy it) Therefore the advertised ibo speed would actually be 5-8fps faster with a bare string.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ibo specks are no where near dry firing todays bows. Nearly all bows made in the last 5 years are waranteed for arrow weights down to ibo specks. I have shot bows over 30 thousand shots at ibo without any damage.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
It's true that most modern bows can be shot at IBO specs (5 gr/lb) safely. That's why companies warrantee them as such. One should consider drawlength though. Longer draws store more enegy than short ones which puts more stress into the limbs. This can be seen by looking at an AMO Minimum Arrow Weight chart. There are different weight arrows recommended for different draw lengths shooting the same poundage.

I don't know where the FPS came into the equation. There is no such thing as an FPS rating. There are two speeds that companies use. One is IBO and the other is AMO (now ATA). Almost all companies use IBO ratings these days to make things look faster. THe best thing to do is just forget about speed ratings except for the express purpose of comparing one bow against another if you are speed oriented. Once you set your bow up you'll hardly ever achieve IBO speeds unless that is your ultimate goal. Most any hunting setup will end up being 30-50fps slower than IBO specs, or more. Just consider that when comparing two bows set up the same, the one with the higher IBO rating will most likely be faster. Simple as that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FPS

Feet
Per
Second

Just so you'd know. Have fun and shoot safely.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
One of my bows is over 10 years old and has never shot anything but 5 grains per inch. I shoot year round. The only thing I've ever replaced is the string and cables. Bows are made to handle this. Go to an Ibo event. Everyone and their brother is at or around 5 grains per inch. You don't see or hear of bows blowing up. This is a serious group of shooters who put thousands of shots a year through a bow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts