Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from Ken Watkins about the IBO world shoot.
I hope this explain what happened on Saturday.

Thanks,
Curtis Locker II
IBO State Rep. / Ohio

A Clarification: What Happened and Why

Saturday morning of the 2003 IBO World Championships saw a cascade of unprecedented events unfold that combined to influence those involved in all levels of tournament management.
Just after dawn, a heavy fog at range check-in points made shooting conditions far from optimal and safe. Soon thereafter, an official Red Alert was announced (lightning/electrical storms in area).
Around 9:30 a.m., the lightning alert was lifted. At that time, range officials decided to start sending groups from the start points from C/D/E (where I was, at that time), as well as most of the other ranges.
Unfortunately, in a short period of time, another Red Alert was called and the ranges were shut down.
Then, as it grew closer to 11: 00 a.m., officials were faced with the potential of “go/no go” situation—the cut-off point when it was logistically impossible for all participants to shoot a full 20-target course in the remaining amount of daylight.
In past years, the IBO guideline regularly utilized under such a scenario has been to go to the last common target for the finals on Sunday.
However, this situation was unique because many classes had not yet shot on common ranges. As a result, it was decided to take the top five from every range/every class combination. If the class was split between ranges, scores started back at zero for the final. Simply, it is not equitable to compare scores from one range to another in this situation.
The classes that shot on a single range on Friday carried their scores for a combined score. Again, there was precedence for this procedure based on past IBO tournaments and decisions.
A clarification about the Red Alert system is also appropriate due to rumor and hearsay. This system is called Thorgard®. It is an automated system that tracks activity in a circle of 15 miles from Snowshoe. If the system detects conditions to be prime for a local lightning strike, a Red Alert is called. As further explanation, a single lightning strike can travel more than 10 miles from its point of origin.
Ignoring such a Red Alert would be negligent on behalf of Snowshoe staff and the IBO.
On the matter of closure of the practice range during the Red Alert—it was done, several times. As soon as an official was out of sight, someone began shooting again.

The IBO Board is in the process of examining further contingencies should such a situation occur in the future (Some were suggested to me Saturday at a much higher than normal volume.) One possibility is a four-day event with the last day as a weather contingency. Another is placing the course starting points lower, with 15 targets to a range. Additional ranges are also being discussed, to bring the start times into a 8:00-to-2:00 time frame.
Hindsight gives each of us a clarity to see what each of us may have done differently. Equity and format required us to go in the directions that were taken. We can change those structures for next time. But to change the process in the middle would deny equitable opportunity for all competitors.
All participants from this year will be notified by letter as soon as any changes or contingencies are official.
The decisions made by the IBO Board and Tournament Staff on Saturday were neither easy nor anticipated. They are decisions no one ever wants to make. We also knew the reaction would be mixed, and unpopular with some. However, shooter safety and well-being is, and will continue to be, the first priority for this and all IBO events.

Ken Watkins

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Ken's Quote

Why did nobody from the IBO, not get up & make this statement to the participants on Saturday, when the decision was made to cancel ? Why did everybody have to get their info 2nd , 3rd or 4th hand ? I personally talked to 3 different officals on Saturday & got a different explanation from each of them. If an offical statement had been read @ the time of the cancellation, there would have been a lot less complaining. There would still be people upset, but at least they would know what happened. Is the IBO planning on mailing a copy of this statement to all the shooters that were there ? I hope so, because I'm sure that they don't all belong to this forum, therefore the majority still won't know the official reason for cancelling the shoot. This, in the future, will have a direct affect on the amount of shooters that show up for, what once was, the best shoot anywhere.
A little bit of communication would have went a long way in defusing, what almost turned into a very bad confrontation between a bunch of good people.

Will I be back next year ? Right now , I don't know. I'll have to wait and see how I feel when my membership runs out next August. My$.02 worth.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Ohio_Curtis said:
[

Just after dawn, a heavy fog at range check-in points made shooting conditions far from optimal and safe. Soon thereafter, an official Red Alert was announced (lightning/electrical storms in area).
Around 9:30 a.m., the lightning alert was lifted. At that time, range officials decided to start sending groups from the start points from C/D/E (where I was, at that time), as well as most of the other ranges.
Unfortunately, in a short period of time, another Red Alert was called and the ranges were shut down.
for this and all IBO events.

Ken Watkins [/B]
So what time was the red alert started ??, because they sent us out on N range (cubs) at 8:05 & we finished at 10:20 & never knew anything about it, the people working at the tent & lift acted like they never knew anything, we were the first off the range & when we came down to the lift they started it up & 1 father & son made it up , then they said there was a red alert & put the lift in hi gear to get the two people up faster & would not let anyone else on, this was at 10.50. What I'm wanting to know is where was our red alert or where was our whistles, maybe they forgot about us cubs out there.
I don't expect a responce from Ken on this but just had to say my .2 cents!!!!
Pizonarcher.:)

·
Registered
964 Posts
3d is supposed to be fun we all act like the ibo cut off a arm or leg because they stopped the shoot on sat let,s grow up they may have saved a shooter life rember bedford we drove 7 hrs. and only shot 30 targets because we thought it was unsafe abird in the hand is better than two in the bush just my .02 cents worth thanks for listenning gmbowhunter

·
Registered
234 Posts
No Equity in the Shootoff!!!!

As a participant at "event", I understand the need to protect all of those involved. It was a horrible thing to happen, but I understand. Being from Idaho, my travel partners and I were heavily invested in the trip and it really hurts. Over a $1,000 each to be there in plane tickets, rental cars, hotels, food, and fees...not to mention the time away from jobs and family.

I was sitting in fifth overall on Friday, and I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones, as I did get to shoot on Sunday. I mention the word suppose due to the time assignments for the Sunday shootoff. My shoot time was at 9am on range C, and anybody that was up there knows you couldn't see for the fog...at least the first 4 or 5 targets...not even with Swarovski binos. I tried to keep my mental game together and shot a 94. I was congratulated by my group, having shot a really good score under those conditions. Here's where the shoe drops...

They separated the rest of my class by 1 hour and 50 minutes. By 1045 the fog was clearing off and the sun was starting to pop through. What kind of situation is that? That's not peer shooting. That's a joke. Peer groups should shoot together. At least close. Any shooter anywhere would shoot better under clear conditions, rather than in thick fog. Whoever assigned those shoot times allowed for a goliath advantage. It's always foggy on that mountain in the morning. Either we all should have shot in the fog...or none of us. Alot of people worked hard, practiced long hours and went to find out how they stacked up against their peers. But that was prevented by the organizers of that shoot. That was not peer shooting. I want to know How it happened??? Why were "peer" groups separated by that much time? There is no possible rationale for splitting classes up by that much time. We should have shot together. Anybody that has pertinent information, please respond...pm me if you want to tell me something you don't want seen here.

Also, anyone that had the same thing happen in your class, please let me know. I didn't spend over a grand and all that time to have the outcomes decided by somebody assigning range times. I want answers.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Fun

gmbowhunter said:
3d is supposed to be fun we all act like the ibo cut off a arm or leg because they stopped the shoot on sat let,s grow up they may have saved a shooter life rember bedford we drove 7 hrs. and only shot 30 targets because we thought it was unsafe abird in the hand is better than two in the bush just my .02 cents worth thanks for listenning gmbowhunter

gmbowhunter,
I guess the reason I'm so upset along with several other shooters is because of the time each of us invested in this.
Like most shooters that were there, I had no illusions about winning, I just wanted to shoot @ the World Championships. I saved my vacation for just this purpose, shot numerous rounds of 3D ( almost every weekend at least 1, sometimes 2 ), & scratched & saved every extra dime I could. Maybe I do need to grow up, but when you look forward to something so much that you count down the days till it's time to leave, just to have it cut short, you'd think someone could have the decency, to at least give an explanation. Will there be a better plan in place next year ? Who knows. If this was the plan they came up with after last year, in my opinion, it wasn't a very good one. Could they have done things different ? I think so. Would it have caused the IBO officals more work to see that everyone got to shoot their 2 rounds ? Absolutely. I don't think anyone on here thinks they shouldn't have stopped the shooting on Sat. morning with the lightning & fog. The problem lies with not restarting the competition after the weather cleared. Nobody has said on here that everyone's safety, should not have been the # 1 priority. We just wanted to shoot. Well I've complained about this long enough. Unless someone replies directly to me, I'll not bring it up again.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Obviously Gollie you just like to complain because you didn't read his explanation. At certian point there was no way for them to get that many people thru before dark. How hard is that to understand. he even said that they would look at ways to make it better for next year. yea you didn't get to shoot the other 20 when the weather did clear up there was numerouse other things to do on the mountian to enjoy your vacation instead of moping around.

This is not the only sport that wearther effects the outcome. We can not control it so quit blamming people that have to make the tough decisions. Volunteer to be on the board and see how you vote when you have 2000 shooters well being at stake, and be as fair to them as possible.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
stodr,
Did you make the trip from La. ?
Or are you just a bandwagon jumper ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts