Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I am listening in on this one myself............
I see two different IBO ratings posted for this bow all the time.

Would really like to know myself if it Truely is close to the Admiral in speed.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
No way it's as fast! Having shot them both, the Ice-Man is definitely slower.

As a matter of fact, actual speeds were changed at one point on the BowTech website, but this was after the brochures had been printed.
(Go to many bow shops, and they continue to state it's faster, but I'm 99.9% sure it's only due to the specs. they read on their racks.)

I shot both 70# bows side by side, and the Admiral consistently sunk arrows about one inch deeper into the target. (was only shooting at 20 yards)

The Ice-Man pulled easier (due to the single cam) and felt more like my old (2004 80# BT Justice - again due to the single cam). Didn't "feel" like an upgrade. The Admiral did though, even though I don't think it's any faster than my 2004 80# Justice.)

Even though the new 70# Admiral has the same "performance" as my 80# Justice, I had hoped that BowTech offered 80# limbs on the Admiral. Since they are offering 85# on the Air-Raid, maybe next year for the Admiral??? (I like the idea of the center pivot design for more forgiving shooting, so the Air-Raid wasn't a contender.)

On a side note: I purchase the Admiral to hunt whitetails out of a tree. I just pushed another 30 arrows through the Admiral last evening. I can shoot this new bow better than my 04 Justice (8 in. brace height), with which I have launched well over 5,000 shots! (Overall performance, along with this simple fact reaffirms my decision to buy it every time I shoot!)

The Ice-Man did pull easier to full draw. Both had nice valley. For a first time bow buyer, I think the Ice-Man might be the better of the two. (mostly due to it's "softer" draw)

Both bows are extremely forgiving to shoot. It's as if they have a 8 inch plus brace height. Which reminds me - The Admiral has a higher brace height than the Ice-Man which should be a bit more forgiving. (Assuming you are OK with the more aggressive draw.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have my Iceman set at 63# with 27" Draw. I was getting speeds around 270 fps with GT XT Hunters 5575 cut to 27.75". I'm not sure on the arrow weight as my scale still has not arrived. I tried several different combinations of arrows, vanes (mostly Blazers), with and without wraps, and 100 gr points. The worst was CX Terminator around (258) and the best was the CX Terminator Lite (275). My Beman ICS Hunters were about 267 fps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Ice Man bows that are in my shop have come in just under spec listings (305-315). The energy return has been fairly efficient though. Dropping to real world draw length and a legal hunting arrow for my state (WA) I have seen some admirable speeds.

28 1/2"
70lbs
420 gr. arrow.
270-278 fps
Not too bad...hope this helps.:shade:

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
29-1/2" dl at 69.2 lbs was shooting a 350g arrow at 307 yesterday with peep & loop, so add 5 for the dl, and 5 for the loop/peep and you get right around 317 or so... seems a tad slow, but add that extra .8 pounds and I think it'll break 320.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'll set one to IBO spects on thursday and see what I get. Post on friday. Curious to see how close it is to 315fps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
shot one at gander mt. the other day with my arrows. 70# 26'' dl 352gr. arrow. wb rest,on peep,with string and cable silencers, brass nock and 2 e-buttons. 270 fps. shoots very sweet going back this week to buy.

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
I am waiting on my rest to arrive then I can do some testing. My specs will be 68-70#, 28" draw shooting GT Pro Hunter 5575 w/ 100gr. tips and FOBs.

Draw weight will be set to get best spine/flight from my arrows. My Marquis ended up at 68# with the same arrows.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
29" draw, 28 3/4" GT series 22 w/80 gr glue in that weighs 315gr...at 65# it was 310......same arrow, same draw length out of another brand of bow at 60# shot 309......pretty sad that the lower priced other brand out performed the Iceman.

·
13,960 Posts
29" draw, 28 3/4" GT series 22 w/80 gr glue in that weighs 315gr...at 65# it was 310......same arrow, same draw length out of another brand of bow at 60# shot 309......pretty sad that the lower priced other brand out performed the Iceman.
What was that lower priced bow rated at and was it a TRUE 29" and 65 lbs. on both bows?

I just read this months issue of Petersens Bowhunting they tested the Iceman and the Truth II............the Iceman was one feet per second faster that the Truth II on both speed tests, both were setup with exact specs shooting 375 grain and 425 grain arrows.

It was never meant to be a speed bow, it is will shoot faster than my Cardiac and be even more quiet and shock free, that is what I am looking for. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
What was that lower priced bow rated at and was it a TRUE 29" and 65 lbs. on both bows?

I just read this months issue of Petersens Bowhunting they tested the Iceman and the Truth II............the Iceman was one feet per second faster that the Truth II on both speed tests, both were setup with exact specs shooting 375 grain and 425 grain arrows.

It was never meant to be a speed bow, it is will shoot faster than my Cardiac and be even more quiet and shock free, that is what I am looking for. :darkbeer:
factory 29" settings and other brand was actually 60#.....i will have to check the AMO draws on them next week when i go back in.....the lower priced bow is rated 318-326 so it is rated 8fps faster than the iceman but it was 5#'s less ....Truth II is not a very fast bow, louder and more vibrations than the Iceman...but not the bow i shot along with Iceman

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That means nothing if the IBO of the other bow was rated higher then the IBO of the Iceman... Its also not a speed bow, but still pretty fast. It shoots faster then a drenalin, so I guess you could say it outperformed it.. even though the IBO is a tad faster then the drenalin...

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
A recent magazine review, I cannot remember the name, tested a bunch of 2009 bows. The Iceman was selected bow of the year. The believe the tested IBO was 309 which the magazine said was slower than expected.

·
13,960 Posts
A recent magazine review, I cannot remember the name, tested a bunch of 2009 bows. The Iceman was selected bow of the year. The believe the tested IBO was 309 which the magazine said was slower than expected.
yea, that is low....not that i dont believe it, it happens.
The ones I have shot or seen reviewed were well within the 315+ IBO speed. in fact, my Cardiac is suppose to be rated as 320 and I had it @ 317 IBO on my Chrony outta the box....the Iceman speeds I see are better than my Cardiac.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts