Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Icon for about three weeks and It shoots great . But I had alot to learn about the bow to get it to shoot that way .I ordered it with a 30" cam ( my usual draw on all my bows ). but it was to long ... coudn't find the wall.... Ordered a 29" cam ...it was to short even with a loop . I ended up with a 29 1/2" cam . This gave me a solid wall . I've heard alot of people say the Icon has a slight spongy wall . Well it does if you have the worng Cam . The wall is like a rock wall if you get the right Cam . like I said ,I tried three of them before I got the right one .
Cable lenght is very critical also . The bow worked best with the cable yoke served at the Y at 6 " ( watch that cable lean ) . It's a not a forgiving bow . So take your time setting it up . Get your center shot right . If you do It will shoot like a dream .
Dennis

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I am not 100% sold on your "it's not a forgiving bow" comment. But everything else you said I agree with 110%. I have several different Mathews all at 28" draw length. However, I had to go to a 27.5 on the Icon. It runs a little longer than the other Mathews models.

This bow will really grow on you. It is not a speed bow by any stretch but it is very smooth on the shot.

It sounds like you are fairly happy with it now so I want try to give you worthless advise you did not ask for. However, the one thing you might try is playing with stablizer lengths and weights. I got great results from shooting a heavish 10" stabilizer on mine. But when I went to a 24"er I got a lot of wobble. Due to the shorter (37") axle to axle it seems to be a bit more sensitive to the long stabilizer... for me anyway.

Good luck with it. I shot a C3 most of last year but may go back to the Icon for 3D this year. We'll see.

·
74,535 Posts
Icon

Is a forgiving bow. That why my coached told me to try one.

He won more than his share including indoor nationals last year with his.

Kelly Ward is shooting her well. Im set up for hunting but looking forward to indoor for sure.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
DB,

What kind of speed is Kelly Ward getting from hers? I am interested in an Icon as a back up target bow, but would shoot it for 3D and field if I could get 260 out of it. I shoot a 26 in draw and would feel most comfortable with 40# for target but 45-50# for 3d and field.

Bowgal

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's not a forgiving bow" comment. ....

Brian and DB , The reason I said " it's not a forgiving bow"comment , is if your not solid aganist the wall you will have erratic groups and arrow flight . Also your arrow selection has to right-on . It's not "I can shoot any arrow that's close and get away with it Bow " . Now don't get me wrong,
I love the Icon .... Just wanted to tell people not to give up on it if they don't get it right at first . If they don't know how to tune a bow ,they should have someone to help them out . One more thing , this bow is not that slow . I 'm shooting it at 29 1/2" set a 50lbs ,using CT Cheetahs and getting arrow speeds around 270 to 272 . I don't think thats to bad ! Like I said it's a great bow...enjoy it !
Dennis

Brian from GA said:
I am not 100% sold on your "it's not a forgiving bow" comment. But everything else you said I agree with 110%. I have several different Mathews all at 28" draw length. However, I had to go to a 27.5 on the Icon. It runs a little longer than the other Mathews models.

This bow will really grow on you. It is not a speed bow by any stretch but it is very smooth on the shot.

It sounds like you are fairly happy with it now so I want try to give you worthless advise you did not ask for. However, the one thing you might try is playing with stablizer lengths and weights. I got great results from shooting a heavish 10" stabilizer on mine. But when I went to a 24"er I got a lot of wobble. Due to the shorter (37") axle to axle it seems to be a bit more sensitive to the long stabilizer... for me anyway.

Good luck with it. I shot a C3 most of last year but may go back to the Icon for 3D this year. We'll see.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: it's not a forgiving bow" comment. ....

Originally posted by Dennis 2 ttt
Brian and DB , The reason I said " it's not a forgiving bow"comment , is if your not solid aganist the wall you will have erratic groups and arrow flight . Also your arrow selection has to right-on . It's not "I can shoot any arrow that's close and get away with it Bow " . Now don't get me wrong,
I love the Icon .... Just wanted to tell people not to give up on it if they don't get it right at first . If they don't know how to tune a bow ,they should have someone to help them out . One more thing , this bow is not that slow . I 'm shooting it at 29 1/2" set a 50lbs ,using CT Cheetahs and getting arrow speeds around 270 to 272 . I don't think thats to bad ! Like I said it's a great bow...enjoy it !
Dennis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts