Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Idaho Elk season is only a couple days old, but interested to know how its going so far? I've heard the elk are already bugling up in N. Idaho. Interested to hear some feedback....... this 2 wk wait to get up there to hunt is killing me!

·
Antelope Junky....
603 Posts
Talked too my buddy over at archery central and he connected on a spike and his buddy shot a forky elk the second day of the season I believe, I won't head out for at least two more weeks,
Matt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't know how things are up north but a couple friends heard them bugling around the bigholes above Rexburg and even saw a few bulls but couldn't get close enough. Went out there last night and didn't hear or see anything except for a cow moose.

·
Till I drop...
459 Posts
A few are screaming but, we have a lot of season to go. My season ended today with a nice fat cow... Switching gears and heading out after muleys. Good luck.

·
Registered
805 Posts
was out all weekend. had two different bulls answer through out the weekend. but just that... an answer or two and then shut down. but that normal. still early. it was warm and expected to get mid 90s this week ... that not good , with the moon the way it is... on of the bulls that bugled back was with cows tho. got some great pics of a bull in a wallo. im posting them in knew thread. all in all it was a good start and great to be back out elk hunting..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Been out a bunch it's been hot tho. Also where I hunt been over run with out of staters It was like a freeway friday morning they been running due to the hunting pressure

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hunted Sat. and Sun. REAL quiet around my spots. I even left the house at 2AM on Sunday to night bugle, only had 2 answers in a ton of area covered. Lots of elk sign in my spots, just no one wanting to play. They must be nocturnal since I had elk tracks over all my boot tracks from the evening hunt to the next morning. Will hit it again this weekend, hope the weather man is wrong with temps pushing mid 90's, which means short hunts close to the truck and no mid day hunts. Would HATE to loose some meat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ttt - I am headed up in a week, interested to know what's going on up there!

·
Registered
36,020 Posts
Aug 30... Bulls were going crazy,, opening day
They started to get fired up around 1p

Sept 1-7.... Zilch

Hot and dry..

Full moon coming in as well

·
Registered
103 Posts
I see it's supposed to drop down to the low 70's when we head up next weekend, hopefully that will help things out! Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Abomb, less than a week away before BigShane54 and I head up to N. Idaho. Time is literally at a standstill. I wanna get up there so bad! Hope the cooler weather next week picks up the action.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Get your wolf tags, men. A new law (man law) says you have to take out at least one wolf for every other tag you fill:wink: Bugling has picked up the last 2 days, a little. I heard 2 this morning. Before yesterday, I went 4 days without hearing one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get your wolf tags, men. A new law (man law) says you have to take out at least one wolf for every other tag you fill:wink: Bugling has picked up the last 2 days, a little. I heard 2 this morning. Before yesterday, I went 4 days without hearing one.
Thanks for the update bullelk! I have every intent on dropping a wolf given the oppurtunity!!!!!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
My partner and I are heading over to Idaho on the 16th. We will be just north of Prichard.

First time hunting this area, should be fun. Temperatures look to be dropping also so that is good news.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Went out to scout my area yesterday. Hot not much going on found a nice 6x6 watched him for quit some time while he was bedded. He decided not to get up until about a hour before dark and he was by himself as he got up and fed off a cow came out about 400 yards away, he saw her they both froze for about two minutes and then he took off at a run right for her he started bugling when he was about a 100 yards or so from her then started pushing her.

I would say hunt low on the canyon walls where there is water and take your time. If you run and gun right now you could miss out. They are searching and gathering at this time! Hunt hard stay focused and you will have some encounters.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My buddies and I are heading out tomorow morning, hunting southeast Idaho, second time hunting this spot, can't wait, hopeing to get my first Elk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts