Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year hunting bears. I have always bought tags in the past just in case i saw one hunting elk or deer, but have never really hunted them exclusively before. I was excited to hunt them because here in Idaho we can bait unlike my home state of Washington where i moved from 2 years ago. I did a lot of research on AT and other sites like it and felt pretty confident going into the season.

I went scouting a few weeks ago and found a lot of sign so i set up my bait in that area. There is a atv access road only open from May 31 to Sept 8 and my bait is about 5 miles down the road. I have been really surprised at how little this area is being hunted. In all the times i have been there scouting, setting up my bait and hunting, i have not seen any other hunters. Im not complaining, just surprised thats all.

Here are some pictures i got on my trailcam within the first few days of my bait being set up. I let the bait sit for about a week and a half and then hunted it on Saturday night. The bear in the first pic cam in at about 5:45. He was a beautiful cinnamon color and i contemplated shooting him while he milled around near the bait. I decided to pass since it was the first night and i had seen the bigger bears on the cam when I checked it right before I sat in the tree. My cousin wanted to shoot it, but never had a shot.

At about 7:45 another cinnamon came in and he was much bigger. I think he was one of the other ones in the pics. I was going to shoot him, but he winded us and took off without giving me a shot.

It was so much fun!!! I am pumped to go back tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I can see someone else here in idaho is addicted to baiting bears now. Keep us posted and hold out for a good one, good luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya im addicted! I have seen bears in the wild, but not like this. Got my heart pumping for sure!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts