Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved permission to hunt a 400 acre farm. The owner gave my brother and I a "drive-thru" tour of the land. With the rut starting here in WI, I do not have the time to scout the land like I should.
The property is retangular in shape. Running east/west long and north/south wide. There is a river running parallel on the north side flowing east/west.
My question is, that there are two ridges running east/west parallel to each other on the south side of the river, with a valley between them and a large creek in the valley. My brother is planning on hunting the north ridge and I will hunt the south ridge. Do we set up on top of the ridge, or side ? Or do we look for "fingers" connecting to the top. I think we should stay out of the bottom of the valley because of the wind tunnel.
Any idea`s would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Only my opinion, but I'd set up on top of the ridges. I got busted once while I was set up on the side of a ridge. Doe came out on the top, and even though I was 20' up the tree, she was eye lvl with me. Once again that's only my .02, but that's what I'd do. Try to find trails that come up from the bottom and cross the ridge top. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
ridges

stay out of the valley. Swirling air currents will get you. If the ridges run east/west, I'd focus on the south sides of the ridges just off their crest. Eye-level with the crest is not bad if your outline/silhouette is broken up by something. For the most part you should see North/Northwest winds. That way your scent should carry over deer traveling the side ridges and not begin to swirl or get drawn back up the slope til it's way down below you. So many things to still consider but not enough info. The valley could work if you have a very good idea where the deer are bedding, it's calm, and you hunt it during the evening when scent/currents are falling. Every piece of land has a learning process to it. Each year you'll make less mistakes. Good Luck.....scott in WI.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I am thinking of hunting the ridge top, maybe where a finger crosses or intersects at the crest of the ridge. Sorry, but I can not really describe the area better, until I get a chance to walk it. I do know that there are some crop fields planted on the northeast end of the property along the river and on top by the "north ridge".
I am going to be hunting and learning the property all of the next week. I will let you know what I find. ;) Thanks again, Mike :)

·
74,535 Posts
Tops or just off one shelf

Would be your best bet.

Start by placinf stand where visability is good. Then move or locate the stand better after seeing what the deer movement is like. I always stay portable when hunting new area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.