Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 children. All have tried but have not stuck with it, except Jaclyn. She is 8, and loves it. She does pretty good too, even with mismatched gear. She loves shooting my old arrows from previous bows, and that used to be "good enough"

But she is really excelling, and I know that the arrows are holding her back.

She wants a recurve, but for now she shoots the Mathews Genesis, no sights, and with a glove. She pulls between 12-14#s. Not sure of her drawlength.

Can anybody recommend a good aluminum arrow for her? Length? Tip weight?

The picture is from us shooting 3d last Saturday. :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you bud. She's the only shooting partner I have, but I couldn't ask for a better one!

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Great pic :)

I just built a bunch of carbons for my girls 8 & 10 and they fly well I will look what they are

I know you asked for aluminum but I don't know about that

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Unscientific Research: Not Yet Documented and Possibly Stupid

Just went out into the garage (raining) and shot my Genesis to start shedding the light.

Usually would use a feathered .600 carbon (30 1/2" shaft with 100 gr. points) at average draw length for pretty good flight. Not tuned formally, but has worked for the three Genesis shooters in my family. (Forget the Easton 1820's made for this bow - they are quite stiff and designed for bullet-proof wear and tear in the NASP programs.)

I have some stock 1716, 1616, and 1516 with the light NIBB points. I short-drew the bow by about four inches (trying to be a small girl) and watched them all fly into a seven-yard target. The 1516's seemed to fly the best and most accurately (mind you ... it was weird aiming this way). They are 27 1/2" stock shafts with a 48 gr. NIBB point and a spine of 1.403.

I short-drew my normal .600 carbon and it responded stiffly. So there definitely was a difference in the bow's thrust - I just don't know if it is an accurate test, however.

This is not advice ... merely fun speculation to get some other poster's juices flowing. It is based solely upon a fast and fun response to your initial question. But, someone else here may well have aluminums matched to this bow for a similar kid, and be able to offer great advice.

When JParanee gets back on, perhaps you can note his successful spine choice in carbon and then calculate a similar aluminum configuration.

But I certainly think that there will be an aluminum that flies quite nicely for her after the sleuthing is done. That Genesis is a very cool bow and worthy of a proper arrow.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Joe. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thin Man- appreciate ya! Great effort, much thanked. You got me thinking.

Yeah, the bow is worthy, if you knew Jaclyn you would say the same about her

1 - 7 of 7 Posts