Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you should be shooting an arrow with a weight of at least 5 grains per pound of draw weight but what would you guys consider the "ideal" weight(grains per pound) for a hunting arrow?

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
?

I like to shoot in the mid 400gr range for hunting so that would put me in the 6 to 7 gr per pound category. HM

·
Registered
240 Posts
Depends on what kind of bow and the size of the game. The less effecient the draw curve or the bigger the game means you want more weight. With a modern hard cam I'm happy shooting a 400 grain arrow at deer or turkey with a 70 lb draw. My self bow uses an arrow closer to 700 grains with a 50 lb draw.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Basically, I just try to be a middleweight. At first I had Goldtip xt 7595 with 100 gr heads. The arrows seemed erratic so I switched to 125 gr tips. That helped. Playing around on the internet go me interested in the Easton Axis arrows so I bought one. I noticed it made my bow quieter than the lighter weight Goldtips. So I ordered a bunch of Axis Obsessions and I've been quite happy with them. I've been thinking about getting the Easton NEXX75 to go even heavier, but I just can't bring myself to get an aluminum arrow considering how much I like to shoot 3D. Long story short, 6.5 grains per pound seems acceptable to me.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
MartinS said:
Depends on what kind of bow and the size of the game. The less effecient the draw curve or the bigger the game means you want more weight. With a modern hard cam I'm happy shooting a 400 grain arrow at deer or turkey with a 70 lb draw. My self bow uses an arrow closer to 700 grains with a 50 lb draw.
I like how you think. More and more people are slowing realizing that a heavier arrow is much more efficient than a light arrow. It makes your bow much more efficient and quieter and you will have more "ummph" (ke + momentum) down at the receiving end.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
arrow weight

Jerry/NJ said:
I like how you think. More and more people are slowing realizing that a heavier arrow is much more efficient than a light arrow. It makes your bow much more efficient and quieter and you will have more "ummph" (ke + momentum) down at the receiving end.
AMEN downrange KE is what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I like heavy arrows

I am shooting a 60 lb hoyt supertec at 28" draw and I'm using A/C kinetic II 400's with a 125 grain tip and they weigh 456 grains. I also shoot easton XX75 or XX78 2117's with a 125 grain tip and they weigh 511 grains. Both of these arrows give me 67.5 lbs of kinetic energy but the 2117's would definately have more momentum downrange. I think heavier is always better than light.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
450-ish seems good to me. But I'm thinking about going back to 550-ish in case of bone, it would be the same amount of drop and speed as the bow I started using the 450 on and thought "wow, that's flat shooting".

If I was making a suggestion for others, I'd say around 400 would be a good place to start your experimenting.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
THE most important thing is that you have a razor sharp b-head on the end of whatever shaft you choose. I personally lean more towards a finished arrow weight in the 350 grain range and have experienced exceptional performance with them. Good luck and good shootin'

·
strayarrow
2,447 Posts
arrow weight

I guess it would all depend on what you want out of it. For me, since I hunt everything from mule deer in the open, to moose in the bush, I look for the best combo of speed and weight. I've found that at around 6.5 grains per pound is the best for me. Don't get too hung up on the , the heavier the weight the more the ke. There will only be a difference of about 2 ft/lbs between the lightest arrow and heaviest. The difference is down range as heavier will retain their ke longer. Test it out yourself and you will see that your bow only possesses a certain level of ke at a given poundage. Shoot a bunch of different weight arrows thru a chrono, then figure the ke out. You'll be surprised at how little difference there is from the top of the range to the bottom. I'm currently shooting 6 gr/lb and getting 69 ft/lbs, so I'm not worried about shooting my moose at 50 yards. Last moose I shot was at 42 yards with a rocket steelhead and the arrow burried up to the nok hitting ribs on the way in and sticking in ribs on the other side. This was with 64 ft/lbs.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
first you have to decide how much work you are willing to put in drawing the bow back, for me I ain't willing to draw over 60 lbs. so once that is set then I decide how fast I want the arrow to go with my given draw length. I want my arrow speed to be between 250 and 260. that gives me a tajectory I can live with. so then I check arrows and chnograph them and come out with 412 grains gets me 252 with my setup. which gives me 58 ft lbs of Kenetic Energy. 412 grains my perfect arrow weight.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Mine weigh in at 400 grains even .... shooting a modest 250 fps off a 62 lb 27.5 inch draw

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I would say stay around 6-grains/lb.

That's my opinion...I shoot 60lbs. and 28"draw, arrows weigh 349.8, 274 fps.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Right now my finished arrow weight is 406 grains. My specs are in my sig as far as equipment and speed and KE and all that happy stuff. As of right now all I hunt is turkey and deer with my bow.

Next year however I am going to start planning some "bigger" game hunts such as elk and bear, so I will be bumping my arrow weight up. Not sure how high I want to go yet, but I was thinking 450 grains as an absolute minimum. We'll see though.

At any rate, just like others have said, match what you are shooting to the game you plan to shoot and you'll be fine ;)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
As a life long archery shooter I can say, I have had much better thru & thru penetration with 550 gr alu., than 385 gr carbons. 18 vs 5 on Elk.

I'll stick to carbons for tournaments, but when it comes to hunting, I've gone back to aluminum arrows.

Richard

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
375gr

I also like to hunt with around 375-400gr. The lighter arrows have worked well for me. They worked great for me this am when I shot my frist Bear, pass thru!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts