Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want you guys to be aware of a potential problem with Identity theft here on AT. Plus I could use some help if anybody knows what I can do to get my money back. I'll start from the beginning: I traded for a Supertec here on AT to sell to a freind that was going to need a hunting bow this year but we didn't get drawn and he desided he was going to try bowtech which is OK with me. Well I have a switchback already and really didn't need the bow so I tried to sell it here on AT. I gave it a while and only got a couple nibbles so needing the money more than the bow I went to ebay. There I got a few bids and on the last few seconds this gentleman outbid everybody else and the auction was done. Well I sent my thanks and asked for a e-mail on how he intended to pay so i could keep an eye out for the payment. He didn't get back to me, on the third day since the auction ended I contacted ebay for his information and during that process I recieved an e-mail from him with the story that he had to bid for my item then run out the door to the airport and was late getting there and just a whole page of why he didn't e-mail me sooner. In his letter he made it sound like I was being too pushy. I was a little concended due to his feedback on ebay he had four negatives about no communication and no payment. Well in his e-mail he told me he would pay by paypal and did, then he sent me his address as it was different from the paypal address he told me he just moved. Stupid me with the money in hand thought well people do move so I shipped it to him. Two weeks later I got an e-mail from paypal stating that I was sent money for the bow on an account that has had fraudulent charges and they reversed the money and put my account in the negative for the cost of the bow. I called paypal and asked what was going on and what could be done. They told me to call the Police which i did and was told that nothing was probaly going to happen, I also sent paypal the address and I bought delivery confirmation thru the post office. I haven't heard back from them on that yet. I checked out this guys name here on AT and found that he is a member. I'm not sure what to think is this guy a victim of Indentity theft or is he the problem. I sent him some e-mail asking him to talk to me but have got no responses. I will ask you if I should post his name and can any of you help me. I'm a father of six and i just can't afford to pay this back to paypal but they are hounding me.
Bill

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I was a little concended due to his feedback on ebay he had four negatives about no communication and no payment
That should have been your FIRST clue.

I have close to 300 POSITIVE feedbacks on eBay with ZERO negatives for a %100 rating.

I figure, anyone can have (1) Bad transaction, BUT I even doubt those people. Call me paranoid, BUT I haven't been ripped-off as of yet...knock on white oak!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know

How do you stop a person with negative feedback from bidding? Yes you can say don't bid if you have negative feedback but I didn't. Now what.
Bill

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Bowtechart..he was asking a question..

and not wanting to have his decision scrutinized.

Luvmysupertec, go to the feed back and lay all the information out on this person. If he really did it, then hopefully the AT community will band together to help you..If he didn't, then you brought forward some great information that he needs to know about.

My .02 cents

Serge P.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
They don't give you enough room to write in the feedback section. Best thing to do is post a link to a website where you explain the problem with the bidder. Maybe this link would be a good one.

·
Sign me Up
1,760 Posts
That really stinks. I've been on Ebay since 99 and only had a few bumps, but never been ripped off. I gave up PayPal when they started charging the seller 4%. It started off free, but you still had to wait for a check from them.
I had been varified and one day they said they wanted my bank infomation, so I dropped them. That was way before all this Nigierian/identity theft stuff got popular.
I just accept postal M.O. now and it's just as fast as Paypal, with no rip off worries.
Hope you recover from this.

·
Sign me Up
1,760 Posts
grouse said:
They don't give you enough room to write in the feedback section. Best thing to do is post a link to a website where you explain the problem with the bidder. Maybe this link would be a good one.
Good thinking

·
74,535 Posts
POst in badfeedback

There not alot anyone can do. You should always make sure the money clears before sending any itme. Thats your first and always only garantee.

I will blacklist him here if this is the 100% facts. Go ahed and send me his name and details in a PM

Theres always a risk dealing on the net.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
blue thunder

If he is an AT member,get it out.Let us know who he is so we don't get stuck by him..If it's a mistake,then he can straighten the whole thing out.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Ripped off

I is a pitty that a wonderful tool like ebay gets ruined like this. It is such a great tool to unload unwanted items.
I've been on ebay since 99 and have only had one problem, an item was damaged in the mail. Item was insured, but the buyer didn't want to deal with the post office.

I don't think the greedy individuals out there realize that the trust they violate with their shady transactions ruin it for the rest of us.

In the future I would state in an auction that the buyer must have no negatives, if they do and they win, the auction is invalid and I sell to the second highest bidder if they meet the criteria required.

just my 2 cents..........

·
Banned
173 Posts
This is exactly why I won't use paypal anymore. They seriously overstate the protection they provide. Sometimes they take care of things and sometimes they don't. I had an incident a couple years ago that was similar to yours. Paypal really hypes up their security but the truth is they are very limited on what they can and will do. My advice to anyone that has a paypal account is to get rid of the credit card connection. Run your paypal off of a debit card or checking account. That way you can always stop payment or block transactions on your account through your own personal financial institution. Paying $25 to stop a funds transfer is alot better than being out of several hundred dollars. In my experience it's alot easier to go down to your bank and get things taken care of than it is to deal with a credit card company over the phone.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sorry about your crappy dealing.

For future reference ebay allows sellers to block bidders who have negative feedbacks, live outside the zone or country that you'd listed you'd ship to and potential bidders who have won auctions and not paid for them. All can be selected by sellers when you place an item up for auction.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
EsoxJohnny said:
This is exactly why I won't use paypal anymore. They seriously overstate the protection they provide. Sometimes they take care of things and sometimes they don't. I had an incident a couple years ago that was similar to yours. Paypal really hypes up their security but the truth is they are very limited on what they can and will do. My advice to anyone that has a paypal account is to get rid of the credit card connection. Run your paypal off of a debit card or checking account. That way you can always stop payment or block transactions on your account through your own personal financial institution. Paying $25 to stop a funds transfer is alot better than being out of several hundred dollars. In my experience it's alot easier to go down to your bank and get things taken care of than it is to deal with a credit card company over the phone.

Wrong, you sign away your right to chargeback, or stop payment when you sighn up for that service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First I'd like to say that it really sucks what happened to you. I've been on eBay for a long time and I've begun to notice more and more fraud. eBay and Paypal should have a fraud protection program to help you out: LINK

Not sure if your case is applicable, but I've gotten my money back in the past when I bid on a product and the seller took my money and ran. Hope you get your money back.

Also, about 2 years ago when I had a major paypal problem, I had the hardest time finding a human to help me out. (as opposed to automated emails) Here is a number for their customer service that may help: +1 (888) 221-1161

Keep us posted and good luck,
Lucius

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Never,ever give out a debit card or checking account number. your identity can be stolen and your accounts cleaned out, with little you can do about it. Credit cards have a vested interest in authorized use only.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
luciusism said:
Also, about 2 years ago when I had a major paypal problem, I had the hardest time finding a human to help me out. (as opposed to automated emails) Here is a number for their customer service that may help: +1 (888) 221-1161

Keep us posted and good luck,
Lucius
EXACTLY the reason why I would NEVER use PayPal anymore.

Too much delays, and no human recgtification/assistance and by the time things may get sorted out, the money may be looooong gooooone.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,111 Posts
Here is a little twist for ya. Paypal only protects the seller when shipping to a confirmed paypal address. So this ol boy buys waits and finally pays with paypal. He does it and then tells you to ship it to such and such a place. You do and it is someone he knows who then sends the bow on to him. In the mean time he files a complaint that his paypal account has been taken over. They charge you back cause you didn't send him the bow and he has no idea who this other place is or that his account was even used. Now he has his money back and your bow. May or may not be the case but that is a snag that could be used to rip guys off who mean well. Always demand a confirmed address to ship to with paypal.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Not trying to kick you while you're down, but you read his feedback problems, didn't hear from him for several days and shipped it to an unconfirmed address. Not saying there's anything wrong with being trusting, but with 3 strikes against him I would've got a money order or at the very least sent it to a confirmed address.
Maybe a case of identity theft, but sounds more like a plain old scam to me.

·
Banned
173 Posts
grouse said:
Wrong, you sign away your right to chargeback, or stop payment when you sighn up for that service.
You are right, but I'm also not wrong. Regardless of the agreement you make with paypal they have no legal recourse or means to enforce it. The only thing they can do is file a complaint with the offenders financial institution to try to get them to release the funds and they very seldom will do that on what they consider a small purchase. In my case it was $500. I was very fortunate to have an excellent CSR that pretty much told me how things are done. Credit cards are much easier for them to manipulate. It may help you, it may hurt you. Most people will never ever have a problem with paypal. But don't believe everything they tell you. Their whole business concept is to make you believe they are a safer way to pay. They are going to tell you what you want to hear to get you to use their service. They are very limited on what they can actually do if there is a problem.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I don't care how much "Paypal" insists on "their" payment, I would not pay them. Tell them the same thing they told you, "Go to the Police".

Let them sort it out, you didn't know it was a fraudulent account, they credited the $$ to your account, and it's their business to get their account records staight before transfering $$.

I'm sure they will try to threaten you, but if you ignore their threats, and tell them to "Pound Sand", there's not much they can do, other than cancel your account.

I quit "PayPal", had them remove my information from their records a year ago. They tend to ignore your problems, and just will not give a phone number out, that can be used to speak to live person, concerning your questions. They prefer email.

I prefer speaking to a live person.

Richard

1 - 20 of 34 Posts