Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently moved to a new subdivision. to my dismay there are 4 houses behind me of 20 somethings whose favorite pastime is shooting off illegal fireworks. calling police hasn't worked cause they can't catch them.(plus I think they have a scanner) any ideas how to stop this or at least give some aggravation back their way til the police do catch them. police have received mutiple calls from other neighbors too. no help.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Don't get it

:confused: If enough neighbors catch them or see them doing it. Why would the police need to catch them? Start mowing your grass at weird hours of the night or ask to borrow a cup of milk at 3 in the morning.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USMCarcher26 said:
:confused: If enough neighbors catch them or see them doing it. Why would the police need to catch them? Start mowing your grass at weird hours of the night or ask to borrow a cup of milk at 3 in the morning.
I have no idea why nothing has been done. I would figure the police would get tired of going over there. no grass mowing. I don't want to be the one making noise. I thought about going and buying a few 500 watt security lights and hooking them up out back. light my yard up like a football stadium.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Before you call the cops, make sure you get it on video so you will have evidence to show when they show up. If nothing happens, do the same thing again and again and again, until you have enough video evidence to go to the city and get something done.

Automan

·
Registered
306 Posts
First, don't lower yourself to "their" level by doin' something stupid just to "get back" at them. You know, two wrongs don't make a right...yada yada yada.

Second, do you have a video camera? Get some good footage of them and don't waist your time with the cops. Go higher up. Write/Email your county officials and let them know about the situation. Tell them you know a neighbor that is ready to issue some ass whippins and you don't want to see things get to that level. lol

Two words comes to mind when I hear this sorta thing happening...DEED RESTRICTIONS! Use to hate the idea but nowadays, I wouldn't buy in a neighborhood without them.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess i'm going to go buy a video camera. kinda sucks to spend money for a reason like this. but hey, at least i'll have a video camera for my troubles.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You asked:

Go to a place like Safe home.. on the web, or your local electronics shop, or search web for the stuff I will mention.

They have low light cameras that go to tape machines. They have IR activated lights and / or cameras. They have IR trail cams.. Seems to me that a group of neighbors could get some high tech stuff and secretly film where it is happening. For pretty cheap really..

If that is not liked or wanted: Call the Local DA’s office and your local elected officials as a group, or each call one after another.. Demand that they get caught. Nothing like pressure from the top down to provide incentive to the local police. IF enough pressure is exerted, a search warrant could be issued, and I am sure stuff would be found if they keep doing this.

As a group call the local TV and paper and complain… Nothing like having the TV and reporters about to get action or cause those doing it some discomfort.

If that is not liked: Get ALL the neighbors that do not like it.. together, and go over to the house, or houses, and ask to talk to them about this behavior, be friendly, be clam, but be frank about how this affects your life, and ask that they could stop it or limit it to certain times, etc. Possibly invite them to a cook out and get to be friends or know them, and then you can possibly get them to stop that way.

Finally: Call the FBI and / or the Dept of Homeland Defense, tell them you think they are making bombs over there… bet they would get caught then..

Or... live with it... This will pass, likely soon as the weather, changes and they get older.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Next time you hear the fireworks go off at night, you could call the cops and tell them that you heard 'shooting and screaming' coming from your neighbors backyard. :)

Your Welcome;)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
N2RCHRY said:
First, don't lower yourself to "their" level by doin' something stupid just to "get back" at them. You know, two wrongs don't make a right...yada yada yada.

BUT it does prove a point sometimes....:tongue: :wink:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Video Camera, plus keep a log of each time the crime is commited. You maybe able to take you're evidence straight to you're local Prosecuter, and file the charges yourself.
Don't get upset with the Police, they can only do so much, and more times then not they need the assistance from people like yourself.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Hm, drop poundage to below #50, purchase some blunt tips and start shooting your old arrows ;)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Lefty, go down to the City Managers office and talk to him. Ask him if he can do anything for you. I can tell you that in my city this will get some action. Tell him the police have been called many times by you and the neighbors. Tell him you know its tough to catch them but you are afraid of fires and that you want to keep peace and quiet in his fair city:) . Might work!

Mark

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
While you are going to all those other places of law enforcement, make sure you stop by and talk to your local fire chief. If the Fire Marshall finds any evidence of illegal fireworks in their yard, he/she might be able to write a ticket. If fireworks start a fire, the police are not the ones in immediate danger.

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Da Bowtech Kid' said:
Im Lost, THis place is called archery talk..

What the hell does this have to do with archery???

Maybe this will help answer your question, I think this fits this area.

The Campfire
A place to discuss general, non-archery topics and current news events. No political, religious or military topics please

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
My family is Military/Law enforcement......
I dont think you local PD is doing all they can...maybe too busy to deal with it, reguardless, like it was mentioned the city council or the managers office should do the trick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts