Archery Talk Forum banner

If it would cool down, these would go away!

1814 Views 25 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  simsc
Me and a buddy went to look at some public land this weekend to try to find a couple more spots to bowhunt. We for got that the permit muzzleloader hunt was going on(that is why I have on a $1.09 orange vest). Anyway this is what we found....:eek: It is just over 5' long with 11 rattles. It sure is going to taste good! Can anyone explain how its heart was still beating after being dead for 2 hours with it head cut off?? When we skinned it and the guts were laying on the ground we noticed it!! I have video of it on my phone, but I do not know how to get it on here. I cannot open it on my computer...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
28,629 Posts
Snakes are good. They eat bugs, rats, mice, what is not to like about them?

· Registered
456 Posts

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Snakes are good. They eat bugs, rats, mice, what is not to like about them?
Besides the fact that they ARE snakes, oh and the hemotoxin and neurotoxin, and the nasty enzymes in their venom, its mostly the fangs that I don't like.

I don't kill little garder snakes or the green tree snakes or even black snakes, but if I come across a copperhead or cotton mouth....ah who am I kidding, I'd run like hell!:eek:

· Registered
816 Posts
What public land where you checking out? I sure wish it would cool down here so I can get on with the huntin'.

· Registered
454 Posts
First the heart. The heart keeps beating because in snakes as in all animals (us included) the electrical impulse that stimulates the muscle to contract originates in the heart muscle itself. The brain can only alter the rate. As long as the blood keeps circulating and the heart gets enough ions, nutrients, and some oxygen it will keep beating for an extended period. Also keep in mind that snakes are ectotherms therefore they can function with less energy and oxygen than mammals so it would certainly be possible for it to go on for quite a long time.

On another note you need to keep in mind that it is illegal to kill a snake in Arkansas as in most other states and certainly on public land. If you felt threatened I don't blame you, but I would certainly be careful posting pictures on the internet. As the previous post said snakes do a lot of good for us (even the poisonous ones) and unless the situation requires it I would suggest walking around it. I guess it's just the biologist in me. Also, if you think no one from SE Arkansas is watching these threads, I am from Monticello.

As for the temperature I have a word for you THERMACELL. The thing works great for the bugs and I have killed one doe already while it was running and it never saw me or smelled me.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First the heart. The heart keeps beating because in snakes as in all animals (us included) the electrical impulse that stimulates the muscle to contract originates in the heart muscle itself. The brain can only alter the rate. As long as the blood keeps circulating and the heart gets enough ions, nutrients, and some oxygen it will keep beating for an extended period. Also keep in mind that snakes are ectotherms therefore they can function with less energy and oxygen than mammals so it would certainly be possible for it to go on for quite a long time.

On another note you need to keep in mind that it is illegal to kill a snake in Arkansas as in most other states and certainly on public land. If you felt threatened I don't blame you, but I would certainly be careful posting pictures on the internet. As the previous post said snakes do a lot of good for us (even the poisonous ones) and unless the situation requires it I would suggest walking around it. I guess it's just the biologist in me. Also, if you think no one from SE Arkansas is watching these threads, I am from Monticello.

As for the temperature I have a word for you THERMACELL. The thing works great for the bugs and I have killed one doe already while it was running and it never saw me or smelled me.

Thanks for the information about the heart.

And about feeling threatened, Anytime I see a rattlesnake I feel threatened. Especially when it is in a place where I will be walking in the dark in the next few weeks. No worries though it will be eaten so it is not going to waste.

Not sure what I said about temperature????:confused: I have a thermacell and it does work well.

· Registered
5,696 Posts
more people get hurt trying to kill them and messing with them....shame ya can't just walk away from them. :confused: Oops sorry didn't see the part that you were actually going to eat it, makes it a whole different story. Just seems a real shame when people kill them out of shear terror and ignorance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.