Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody
Jason here... OKAY I am new to archery but I really believe in supporting an organization that helps us. Alot of people have been saying that they are not going to re-new there IBO memberships. OKAY... who are you going to join? what are the options?
thanks
j-dawg

·
Registered
13 Posts
The NFAA has it all field/hunter, 3D, indoors, and fita type shoots.
And the NFAA and NAA work together. They may no have as much monye but that can change with more shooters.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,755 Posts
Maybe ASA will add some more northern shoots

·
74,535 Posts
NFAA and ASA

I have found both these assc. to be first class.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Well I'm not giving up on the IBO because the weather was bad and they had to call a shoot, and/or simply because management MAY POSSIBLY need "adjustment"! :eek: WE (we who are members) are the IBO, and WE have to power to get things resolved within it. All it takes is a united voice and a smidgen more effort than complaining on a messageboard. If you have issues with Ken, speak with the board of Directors. Simple.

I've supported the IBO for a long time now, and feel it still serves the best purpose to us as archers who like to shoot 3D tournaments and hunt. Who else is going to donate X amount of dollars each year to the Bowhunter defense fund? I mean and REALLY do it? The ASA for instance is a money-oriented organization. They offer tournaments to those who wish to try their hand at winning some cash. Not that that is a bad thing, but The IBO offers a double purpose, and if we leave them high and dry now then we're leaving ourselves as bowhunters stranded on an island too with no-one to help defend our bowhunting rights. It ain't always all about the money ya know! :rolleyes:

The NFAA is a great organization also and I'm a member, but this org is in the same boat as the ASA IMO---basically their hunting priorities all got thrown aside years ago when it turned into a purely competitive organization.

My thoughts are that this whole thing is getting blown WAY out of proportion-- much like everything else on this board has been lately..... I for one will continue to support the IBO as an org I feel best deserves my money, and maybe the issues that need resolving will be addressed by the board of directors and taken care of soon, because each one of these issues creates more dissention and does us all no good as members or the cause we stand for within the org. Everyone should e-mail the board of directors rather than bicker here on the boards and let them know about these opinions and issues that some feel so strongly about. Best way to get to the bottom of things is through the correct channels IMHO. ;) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Yep I’ll second that….

I have been in the mountains during a couple of storms. Most came up real quick and the cloud to ground lightning was scary to say the least not to mention the thunder. So the would be lightning never materialized but IF it did who wanted to be on the side of the mountain that took the first hit from no were???

And Fog????

Plain and simple if you can’t confirm a clear path to your target and a safe distance beyond then you don’t shoot!!

I was not there but sound like it was a little prudent to err on the side of safety. I will admit … it seems odd that all the other activities were taking place.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have been a long time member of the IBO and I will continue to do so. Everyone is complaining like mad right now but has anyone thought for an instance what would have happened if just one shooter was struck by lightning? I believe they did the right thing by getting people off the ranges. I was there and I wasn't comfortable with the thunder banging around and the horrendous fog. Everyone likes to complain, but at least everyone ended up safe. You just can't control the weather. I've seen plenty of baseball games called after 5 innings due to weather and that's all that happened here. If you were one of the ones lucky enough to be near the top after the first day then more power to you. IBO gives money back to bowhunting. They support my right and yours to hunt and shoot bows. Rather than bash the IBO, maybe we should all praise them since everyone got off the courses safely and in a quick fashion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok just name one other outdoor world championship canceled
due to weather. there is none delayed postponed ok but not
outright canceled. what a waste that afternoon was the best
day of the weekend. if you want a what if what if some of the
older or younger folkes fall, those are the worse trails ive ever
seen. very nice place snowshoe.........for skiers

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
The shoot was not cancelled Phillip. One day of shooting was cancelled. There were many great Champions crowned yesterday. All of them played with and within the rules they had to to win.

I hope this cloud blows over which I know it will. We will never be privy to the info or requirements that Snowshoe has regarding safety of their guests. They (Snowshoe), IBO and Ken I would dare say had little control. The truth is the nasty insurance and re-insurance companies probably have placed umpteen million restrictions on all of the above. Mitigation and prevention of loss is their mantra. To keep Snowshoe open and the IBO a going concern takes alot of concessions and money. I am in the loop in the insurance industry has wicked tough standards an dthey are only getting stricter. I tell all my insureds err on the side of caution at all times. In the big commercial insurance world your insurability is the lifeblood of any organization.

I am sorry many did not get to shoot Saturday. I am awfully glad we are not mourning a lost archer or archers. Lets remember the shooters that had the biggest day of there lives by winning the IBO World Championship.

D

·
0 Posts
well then..."if"...

...this Snowshoe place is insured UP THE WAZOO!!...

...maybe the IBO can SUE them and get some redemtion for their participants that were unable to participate...

...seems that some have said that they saw most other events and concesions "continue"...the archery "shooting portion" was the only thing shut down...

...leaves an "interesting" thought in my mind...

...the shooters spent a TON of MONEY and their TIME...did all of this go to line the pockets of the "insured"???...

...who is really out anything but the shooters...

...did Snowshoe take a "loss" due to the "call"...

...did IBO take a "loss" due to the "call"...

...did the shooters take a "loss" due to the "call"...

...interesting call to say the least...

...glad no one was killed...

...glad WORLD CHAMPIONS were crowned...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote By Mead on IBO Site

<Ken,
Will there be food served at the range that pros and semi-pros will be shooting? Being diabetic I have to plan my day accordingly since I will not be on the ranges near the main vendor area at the fairgrounds. Thank you. >

Yeah... know what Mead?... he never answered you.. thats a legitimate problem you have.. he could care less....

You need to stop kissing his butt, and stop riding fences.. take a stand for your fellow archers, not for this fat cat. He could care less about your legitimate medical condition...............

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
Don sorry you missed the Worlds...... I spoke to the Hood and OBT. Passing as it was after all they are stars in our sport ;)

The answer to the question who lost what is everybody. The IBO has lost part of their reputation and countless members. Snowshoe will most certainly lose future guests and the revnue from their stay not to mention the one night credits handed out for those who decided to leave by 2:00 Saturday. Shooters lost 20 shots at minimum and a lifes ambition and savings maximum.

Insuring the weather is tricky to say the least. I am sure you have priced or bought crop insurance. The thought of how to insure a event like this came to me Saturday afternoon. I am positive the IBO will look into this in some way. That is why I posted the poll on trip insurance. It will be interesting to see how it comes out.

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
philip said:
ok just name one other outdoor world championship canceled
due to weather. there is none delayed postponed ok but not
outright canceled. what a waste that afternoon was the best
day of the weekend. if you want a what if what if some of the
older or younger folkes fall, those are the worse trails ive ever
seen. very nice place snowshoe.........for skiers
well how about the major league baseball allstar game being called for a tie game...because they ran out of pitchers????

seems to me baseball survived that one...and i bet ibo will survive this one.....

plenty of major, major big time events are altered or weather shortened.....major golf tourneys have been shortened....

and like darrin m said...this event wasnt canceled...it was weather altered.....rain or lightning shortened......

now come on all of you.....yall have been telling me for a couple of years that this 3d stuff really aint "world" class....and now you want to call it a "major outdoor world event".....which is it???;)

i think we all are starting to come around....this 3d stuff is major league....it rivals the olympics and nfl,nba, and nascar.....before you know it...if we all complain enough....the media will piggy back right on to this "big time news"....stick with it fellas....contraversy sells....:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi Darrinm , it was'nt the safety factor that made people mad
it was what happened after. we wonder if there was a red alert
at all , snow shoe kept running all there activities, whitch stop
under red alert,ive seen it happen, two hrs later the sky was clear
and the rest of the day was great (best day of the weekend).
i think they who ever ,jumped the gun. a lot of people had already
compleated there 20 targets, when the ranges were cleared
people came off the wrong way into groups shooting, it was a mess, then we were kept in the dark till twothrity and when the
anouncement was made security was called, in it looked like a
riot, great family fun eh? it was all handled poorly. there was time
to finish shooting,you cant leave people feeling cheated. oh
well you can but you should'nt. this was our second time there,
there was a weather problem last time that ended bad too.
by the way its not right to crown a winner when they shot
different courses they did. fair is fair there must be a better way.
all the questions and complaints went unanswered.
the whole thing was a bust.champions yea.

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
OBT pretty well covered the safety issue in another thread. Guess I will let that horse die......

As far as the Champions........ I respect the accomplishment of each and everyone of them. They did not let weather, decisions beyond their control or general mayhem distract them from their intended goal WINNING A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!! My hat is off to each and every one of them. I hope they all wear their buckle proudly. The classes that shot different ranges started from scratch those that didn't had an ole fashioned sudden death shootout. To me the latter is harder. Each shot counts evn more than normal.

To quote Philip "YEA CHAMPIONS"

DCM

D

·
0 Posts
McCutchenstuff...

...haven't spent the first dime of money on crop insurance...one of the biggest RIP OFF'S in my business...only people who make out on that deal are insurance agents and dishonest farmers:) ...

...my "insurance" money gets spent on irrigation systems and continueing education so I can "manage risk" better than my competition;) ...

...wish I could have made it...heck, I'd a stayed out on the range and kept shooting them inferior 3D targets:p ...

...but alas...I stayed home to put food on your table's!!:D ...

...maybe the McCormick center in Chicago would be a better place to have this WORLD event:cool: :D ...

...I'll see you in VEGAS McCutchenstuff!!:cool: ...OBT and HOOD-LUM are buying!!!...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Mead,

You might want to add that you requested an early shoot time bc of your medical condition and they stuck you at the worst possible time, exactly opposite what you requested to have. It seems to me that the IBO could use a wake up call. I won't stop attending the IBO shoots but I think they have treated members like they are just sheep that are being herded around. They had no plan for such an event even though they knew after last year that it could happen. Just my 2c.

Scott

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
I can see you are wise beyond your years Deereman ;)

In Vegas I will even buy a round with my illgotten insurance money....... It would be an honor to raise glasses with you again....

Can't go wrong hanging with two salesmen and a painter :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts