Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Elite Victory 37
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took my son out for a 3D. First target was an Elk. The Elk was in the sun and my Axis carbon, like you guessed, seized up in the target. With Herculean strength from God Himself, I was finally able to pull the arrow free and began cursing myself for not having arrow lube for the shoot... but then I thought, hey, that Off Natural bug spray I have has moisturizer in it, that might work... and I sprayed the shaft. As I nocked my lubricated arrow for the next target, I stopped and thought ‘wait a tick... what if there’s a chemical in that spray that’d weaken the carbon and thus make the arrow snap... like splinter into my arm?’ So I carefully put the arrow away and didn’t use it. So, what do ya think? Is the Arrow safe and I’m overthinking it or probably a good idea to just let that one go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
The off spray might take the label off the arrow, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
There is a running debate if acetone will hurt a carbon shaft. Some say no and claim to soak a shaft in the harsh solvent without any issue. I use isopropyl alcohol as a cleaner and avoid acetone, but am thinking your Off probably won't harm a modern carbon shaft.

·
Registered
51,165 Posts
Way over thinking it. If it would destroy that carbon shaft would you really be using it on you! Just some common sense.

·
Registered
971 Posts
If it was a high concentration of DEET, like old-school Bens, then maybe. The never stuff has much less DEET and less of an impact.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I doubt it would harm it. A quick flex test in a few directions would tell you for sure though. If you flex the shaft and it doesn't break then it's not going to break when you shoot it. Pretty cool idea though, not only are you lubing your shafts but you're helping keep bugs away LOL.

·
Vendor
15,833 Posts
Reminds me of the Velvet finish on the center pivot Bowtechs. If a can of bug spray was within 100 yards the finish came off.

·
Registered
Elite Victory 37
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is 15% DEET.

·
Registered
Jim Beam Apple, Mathews, Jim Beam Apple
2,078 Posts
Well at this point i think its bothering you too much and you will never be settled with it. Its one arrow, throw it out.i get ya though, I'm the same way, once obsessed....🙄
Just a good reason now to buy more arrows 😁

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The off spray might take the label off the arrow, if that matters to you.

I wish I could find a way to take the label off. They used to be paint and were easy to take off. Now I know of no good way to get the label off of Gold Tip arrows.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,805 Posts
I have heard Coke will eat metal but we drink it.............lol. I see why you might be concerned but it should be easy to find out if you are a chemist.........:darkbeer:

·
Registered
51,165 Posts
I wish I could find a way to take the label off. They used to be paint and were easy to take off. Now I know of no good way to get the label off of Gold Tip arrows.
Acetone, just a little and rub it on with a cloth.

·
Registered
Elite Victory 37
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well if you can safely use acetone on carbon there cannot be any issues with OFF

·
Registered
Elite Victory 37
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the record, shot the arrow today. It was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts