Archery Talk Forum banner

If You Don't Kill Him The Cows Will...

1268 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ks5610
We've all heard guys say that it doesn't do them any good to pass up bucks because if they don't kill them somebody else will. I now have a little bit of a twist to that story. I have the misfortune of hunting what would be a nice oak flat except that it's part of a pasture with about 50 head of cattle and a dozen horses in it. I'm used to the stupid things running towards me and following me to the stand, but last night was a first.

I had a 115-120ish inch 8 pointer walk directly under me, so close I could have jumped on him. I passed him up and watched him work his way through the oaks towards a picked cornfield. The buck was about 200 yards from the field when the cattle spotted him and took off running towards him. The buck ran from them and jumped the fence into the field, but the cows actually chased him all the way to the fence. I've always hated hunting around cattle and horses because between them keeping all the underbrush eaten down and the people driving around out there messing with them it really hurts my chances of seeing a mature buck during legal shooting hours.

But I have never seen them chase deer out of the pasture until last night. Have any of you guys ever witnessed that before?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,485 Posts
I almost wet myself one morning walking a fenceline in a wooded area in the dark when a big ol' cow I didn't see made a move about six feet away from me. Had I peed my pants, surely the days hunt would have been killed...

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
Yep. I watched my dads heifers chase a doe and a fawn across a picked soybean field. The entire herd ran for about 300 yds and they kicked up a huge dust cloud. It was a calm morning and the dust cloud hung around for several minutes. I got down early that day. I hate hunting land with cows in it.

· Registered
695 Posts
I hunted with cattle and they never paid any attention to the deer. I will say that it was creepy my first time coming out of the woods in the dark and hearing a cattle stampede running right for me. They got real close and just followed me, really freaked me out the first few times.

· Registered
662 Posts
. I've always hated hunting around cattle and horses because between them keeping all the underbrush eaten down and the people driving around out there messing with them it really hurts my chances of seeing a mature buck during legal shooting hours.
?
Well first off your hunting in Ill (the land of cull bucks) so your chances of seeing a trophy buck are pretty small to begin with..

Your deer do actually benefit from the cattle thru the corn feedings, salt & mineral licks etc. The cattle are into feeding routines and their movements can be patterened.. So you can hunt away from them just like how the Big Bucks avoid them..

Sounds like you had a good close encounter ,just 40" too small.. Be patient your in Ill.. It's not like Ohio or Iowa..:teeth:

UncleRay

· Registered
2,889 Posts
I've experienced the exact opposite. I've hunted a private spot for a couple years that always had horses on it since I started hunting it. They took the horses out of there last March or so and since the hunting and deer numbers have both gone way down hill. Before, I was seeing a ton of deer in there, I was covered up the majority of the time. Now it's small pickings.

· Archer
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I almost wet myself one morning walking a fenceline in a wooded area in the dark when a big ol' cow I didn't see made a move about six feet away from me. Had I peed my pants, surely the days hunt would have been killed...
I've gotten used to the stupid things stampeding towards me over the years. It's annoying but thus far my pants have remained pee-free. :teeth: The only time I get a little nervous is when I'm around the big ones with horns and bad attitudes.

I've been hunting around cattle for probably 20 years and I've never seen them chase deer like that before. It's reason #176 why I hate cows and I'm really going to enjoy that McDonald's hamburger for lunch today.

· Registered
244 Posts
My favorite stand by far is in a pasture. I've never seen cows chase deer but the deer do seem to keep there distance from the cows. My biggest pet peeve is walking into the stand and them seeing me which always leads to a herd of dry cows standing under my stand watching me climb up and then milling around for a long time. I have over the years perfected my ninja sneak to get in without them noticing me lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.