Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody practice falling out of there tree stand? Last year I put on a tree stand harness and practiced recovering from a fall. What I did was with help I got lifted off my stand having friend pull a rope that was tie off a pulley on a tree. I then needed to get hold of the tree and install a tree step so that I could take the weight off the harness rope. Then I shimned down the tree while my friend took tention off the rope. If it would have been a real fall I would have uncliped the harness rope while standing on the step.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Plan:

Anyone here in NW pa I am sure heard of the death of a State Trooper last year that was held safely by a haness untill he released the leg straps. He must have been thinking he would slide on through, well he slid down untill his neck got caught in the harness. Since then I realized having the safety belt is the first step, having a plan is the next. By the way he was in great shape and athletic.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Don't Fall!!!

I set my safety strap so that I will not fall past my stand.

Basically, if I'm sitting on my seat, I can feel tension from the safetly rope onto my back. I can still shoot from a sitting position, but I can barely reach the stand platform with my hand if I try. This keeps me close to the tree, even when standing, or leaning to take a shot. It also gives me a little more confidence when moving around up there, kind of like I'm being held in place.

Bo

·
Registered
852 Posts
Many of today's body harnesses like mine(Gametracker) are designed with folds that are stitched over to have a little "give" to them during free fall - and are "one fall only" use.... So, to try a fall with these is basically throwing your money away... I'm all about safety when it comes to treestand hunting, though - and ALWAYS use my body harness when in a tree, and won't, under ANY circumstance, allow ANYONE to use any of my stands without atleast some sort of safety belt... I nearly always pair up with another hunter, and we use radios, to check on each other from time to time, so I'm relatively sure that I'd still be OK in the event of a fall... Interesting idea, though...

- georgestrings

·
Bonehunter
8,843 Posts
I like to practice the following:

(1) keep safty belt as short as possible

(2) always buddy hunt

(3) keep a two way radio handy

(4) place a tomb stone at the bottom of my tree just in case. :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Practice? No... I went ahead and fell out! About 10-12 years back, I had a platform support cable give out on me just as I stepped onto the platform and down we went. I luckilly had a harness on and fell only about 2 or 3 feet. Slamming against the tree was no fun and the thought of what would have happened had I placed a tree step where I ended up smacking into the tree kinda shook me up. I was able to regain my composure and get back onto the steps, release my belt and climb down. The upside to the adventure was that it scared ALMOST all of my hunting partners into using safety belts. The one that didn't buy in ended up falling out of a tree about 4 years later and darned near died. He's a convert now. It was a tough lesson, lying on his back, alone in the woods unable to move, hoping someone would find him.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS buckle up before you step onto the platform (preferably stay strapped in from the ground up!)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, if you have a a safety belt and want to look like christopher reeves, go ahead and point it towards your stomach....this way when you fall out of the tree you can break your back. Or if you have any sense at all you will slide the belt towards your back.

Sounds a little harsh but ive seen guys run that belt towards they stomach and its pretty dumb.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A climbers method

One of my many hobbies is also technical rock climbing. I use a "Diaper sling" for a harness and tie that off to a static line that is hanging nearly to the ground. The harness is attached to the rope with two "prusik" knotted loops.

Look on www.petzl.com and they have a pretty decent explaination of Prusiking.

It will let you decend in a safe manner after a fall as well as climb the tree without steps, ladders or any of that.

I've thought it thru a bunch but luckily have not yet needed to do it.

Enjoy,
Erik

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have thought about it a couple of times, but it is not something that I like to dwell on to much. I use a safety harness, and tie it off at about arms length up the tree. That puts it just high enough for me to be able to sit comfortably, but if I was to fall I would not fall past the foot platform of my climber.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Good thread! I use a short harness. I use a ladder stand too which I believe is a bit safer (and I have added an additional stabilizing ratchet strap to it). I also have a long rope hanging down (mostly for pulling whatever bow I am using) but it is climbing rated strength and this is another item that would allow me additional safety if there is a fall. My car has an alarm on it and I carry a button that will activate it (I tend to hunt in somewhat populated areas). Finally I have a knife strapped to the harness that I can get to easily.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I got my seat of the pants with my Summit this year and I'll be using it.Like PSE mentioned I've always used belts and I thank God I never had a fall while using it.
The biggest problem is that alot don't use a safety device while ascending or descending,me being one as well.And looking back on that,it's not real smart either...
I look at my little boy everyday and think how lucky I am....;) You can bet I'm gonna try 110% to get home safe......:)

USE THE HARNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Excellent post, thank you! I learned a lot on the forum today. I hope you did too! Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
short harness is a good idea. i will hang mine higher after reading this post.

i also keep a 50 cent whistle with me as well when fishing or hunting, got two for a dollar at a dollar store. if your ever in trouble, or dangling from a tree, a whistle carries a lot further and you wont get a soar throat like hollering. always tell someone where your at as well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i keep mine short too...but i had the experience of having a self climber break while descending the tree.i had my weight on the top part of the stand,trying to lift the bottom part.when i did,the pin in the top part came out and i fell backwards.i was hanging by left ankle,with my head about 6 feet off the ground.good thing my husband was there...the buddy system saved my life,in my opinion.i dont know what i would have done if he wasnt there.it was really scary,and luckily i didnt get injured.this thread was very thought provoking,with hunting season coming up,its something all of us need to review.......by the way,i have a strap on tree stand and a ladder now.......im much more confident.but never without a harness..

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am amazed out of the 236 hits on this post 2 fell 1 other besided myself has a plan. Am I the only one who tested his plan.
How many people know of people in there county that fell out of trees or fell with there safety system in place.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I also use a seat of the pants harness. The key here is to keep the prusik and rope at a length that will prevent you fro m going below the platform. Oh yes I have had close calls and know what its like to grab the edge and, come back up. Safety must be foremost. There isn't an animal alive on this earth that is worth ending up dead or in a wheel chair trying to hunt it. I have always tried to think things through prior to the trip afield. I never go up a tree when I am tired or not feeling up to the task. IT AIN'T WORTH IT. Think of your spouse, kids, girlfriend etc.. We owe it to them to come home from the hunt in one piece. I am not saying it can't and, won't happen to me because it could very well happen but, I take every precaution to be as safe as possible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great Thread Gents, After reading all this I think i'll be getting myself a ground blind. Anyone want to by a Tree Stand? lol Be safe all Good Hunting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts