Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides Drury's, if they had to actually do some work and know what they were doing would any of the guys on TV be there, and I dont consider being good at picking outfitters a talent, altough it may be a talent it dont make you a good hunter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not another jealousy thread??? :mg:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why is that crying just asking, it dont irritate you a little bit that the guys representing what you love to do are nothing more than actors. I mean lets face if the guys on TV are the best of the best wheres Chuck Adams.

·
Yippiee ki-yay
3,602 Posts
why is that crying just asking, it dont irritate you a little bit that the guys representing what you love to do are nothing more than actors. I mean lets face if the guys on TV are the best of the best wheres Chuck Adams.
You just answered your own question.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Honestly for most guys who are really good hunters the last thing you would want is more people out in the woods with you filming. Hunting is what I live for and not what I want to do for a living. It is way to important for me to make it into a money making way of life. I want to be out there by myself doing it by myself. Only pictures I want are the ones I take after I kill something

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You just answered your own question.
yeah I guess your right, did'nt realize it would be looked at like a jelousey thing. I mean if you think about a pro basketball player they dont get paid cause they give a good interview. Anyways guess I know not to ask these kind of questions on here.:(

·
Registered
628 Posts
honestly for most guys who are really good hunters the last thing you would want is more people out in the woods with you filming. Hunting is what i live for and not what i want to do for a living. It is way to important for me to make it into a money making way of life. I want to be out there by myself doing it by myself. Only pictures i want are the ones i take after i kill something
well put !!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
well, if we're on the subject, why isn't the guides name posted for all B&C, P&Y and SCI records.

the guide did all the work!:eek:

i always feel under appreciated.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, if we're on the subject, why isn't the guides name posted for all B&C, P&Y and SCI records.

the guide did all the work!:eek:

i always feel under appreciated.
That sucks, but you do get paid to be in the woods. I guess that just kinda gos with the what the other guy was saying good hunters just do what they do and are behind closed doors. Seems like if you got them a book animal they would give you a good tip.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If I don't like the host of a show, I simply don't watch. I feel like they don't always represent our sport in a good way but they are human and make mistakes just like all of us. I'm glad I don't have a camera following me in the woods. Now if I could make a living writing about my experiences afield, I would jump all over it. Chuck Adams has said before that he just doesn't want an extra person tagging along creating more noise, scent, and distraction when he is hunting. I hate hearing " ARE YOU ON HIM, and, DID YOU GET THE SHOT" when I watch hunting shows. I would rather them shoot the animal off camera than pass just cause they didn't have camera light or view of the kill shot. Just my opinion.:shade:

·
74,535 Posts
Jb17

Besides Drury's, if they had to actually do some work and know what they were doing would any of the guys on TV be there, and I dont consider being good at picking outfitters a talent, altough it may be a talent it dont make you a good hunter.
I have had the oppertunity to talk to alot of these guys on TV. Most dont consider themselves any better than the average Joe. They are just lucky enough to go to the right spots.

They dont judge us average hunters and I often ask why do we always try and judge them because there on TV. I dont think there any better than the rest of us.

My hunting buddys a better hunter than me. Big deal! I have more fun!

DB

·
74,535 Posts
Jb17

If you had the oppertunity to go do this for a living!

Would you and would you not use a guide?

If you had money would you not travel all over hunting? You think you could hit the Canada wilderness/ Africa without a guide?

DB

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I don't like the host of a show, I simply don't watch. I feel like they don't always represent our sport in a good way but they are human and make mistakes just like all of us. I'm glad I don't have a camera following me in the woods. Now if I could make a living writing about my experiences afield, I would jump all over it. Chuck Adams has said before that he just doesn't want an extra person tagging along creating more noise, scent, and distraction when he is hunting. I hate hearing " ARE YOU ON HIM, and, DID YOU GET THE SHOT" when I watch hunting shows. I would rather them shoot the animal off camera than pass just cause they didn't have camera light or view of the kill shot. Just my opinion.:shade:
You are right if I would have thought about it more I would have came up with the best hunters are writers. I guess this ended up being a use full thread after all. after the first couple responses thought I was just going to get reamed. Thanks for the help guys after all archers helping archers right.

·
74,535 Posts
Best hunter

You are right if I would have thought about it more I would have came up with the best hunters are writers. I guess this ended up being a use full thread after all. after the first couple responses thought I was just going to get reamed. Thanks for the help guys after all archers helping archers right.
Best hunters are the ones at the end of the day. Had fun and enjoyed the hunt and outdoors. Its called hunting and not killing for a good reason.

Listen to one of the last interviews from Fred Bear. One of my alltime favorite hunters and watching his shows in the early days is why I took up archery. He made it seem magical. Fred sums it up pretty good. Some hunters today could learn alot from him.

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhAu11hUsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhAu11hUsU

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you had the oppertunity to go do this for a living!

Would you and would you not use a guide?

If you had money would you not travel all over hunting? You think you could hit the Canada wilderness/ Africa without a guide?

DB
Well there are some specis you can not hunt without a guide legally, but besides brown bear maybe sheep no I would not waNT A GUIDE I take pride in knowing I harvested the animal I did because I made the right moves. This was not really about getting paid, I dont need to be paid, I dont miss a set I planned my life around hunting and thats what I do, can i travle 365 hunting all kinds of crazy animals no but I am happy hunting my whitetail, muleys and elk, coyote. I would like to go after a brown bear someday though.

·
74,535 Posts
Jb17

Well there are some specis you can not hunt without a guide legally, but besides brown bear maybe sheep no I would not waNT A GUIDE I take pride in knowing I harvested the animal I did because I made the right moves. This was not really about getting paid, I dont need to be paid, I dont miss a set I planned my life around hunting and thats what I do, can i travle 365 hunting all kinds of crazy animals no but I am happy hunting my whitetail, muleys and elk, coyote. I would like to go after a brown bear someday though.
I have been on one guided hunt in my life. $5000.00 Elk hunt that my older brother paid for. Worse hunt I ever went on. Yes I got a bad taste in my mouth for sure. But I should not let one bad guide who over booked his land for hunting that lied to myself ruin my thoughts on hunting and guides. It was time well spent with my older brother and I will never forget it. Would I do it again. Yes if money wasnt an issue. Guides are not bad guys and hunters who hunt with a guide just make that choice for themselves. Hunting different for everyone. I guide youth ever year and I would not want them to think because I put them in a treestand there hunt is not special. I just tell them oneday learn what I show you and d this for someone else oneday.
Hunting should be fun. Often traveling those hunting shows so much many will tell you it becomes a job.
DB

·
Vendor
4,577 Posts
I have a friend who hunts on the Drury brothers video's. He told me that there family had alot of money and this is a big reason that they were able to get into the business and stay there until they took off. To their defense they have done a great job. In my opinion i think they are not nearly the best hunters of the tv guys. I do think they have prime ground and have nothing but time to invest into making it the best it can be. I do really like Wildlife Obsession but hate the PSE show, i cannot think of the name of it. Its the one where they say PSE every other word.

I like the Drury's, mark more than terry. They seem down to earth and put out a good show. But the best IMO is the Primos boys. They are the top dogs in every category IMO! I think these guys are hunters to the core.

The shows that are always trying to come up with some new catch phrase are a turn off.

What i would like to see is a public land challenge hunt. Take the top tv hunters and turn them loose on some public land and give them something like 2 weeks to see what they can get done. They can take all summer or how ever long they want to scout but it must be on public land and randomly selected by a neutral person. I think this would be exciting and interesting to say the least. I do not think you would have many takers fearing tarnishing their reputations. I can guarantee you one thing you would not here is " thats just a 140 class deer lets let him walk".

I may have gotten off topic a bit but just wonder if any of you would like to see something like this?

·
Registered
212 Posts
never watch 'em myself. guess I'd rather be doing it than watching someone else. whatever gets you thru the day i guess......................

·
Registered
362 Posts
Besides Drury's
Lol. These threads always excempt one T.V. hunter that the poster thinks is the only real deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts