Archery Talk Forum banner

If you were producing a hunting video......

1056 Views 25 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  saskguy
what sort of things would you like to see more of, or less of than what generally fills the TV these days.

What does it take to make a TRULY entertaining video/show?

WHat are a couple of examples of shows you like? and shows you don't like? and why?

I would probably say Whitetail Addictions would be my favorite show. I like the big bucks and it seems these guys put in their hard work to get them(granted, the land they hunt is awesome by anyones standards!). The show isn't going to make me go buy a lonewolf treestand or predator trailcam, but one of the few shows I really enjoy watching.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,259 Posts
Hunting show

I can tell you one thing I have seen enough of, is these guys going to these high $$ guided places and "hunting hard" for 3 whole days and busting a B & C buck. I know for some species you have to travel and I can understand using a guide for Elk, Caribou, and such (not many of those here in OH), but Whitetail are everwhere. I know its an answer to a question you didn't ask, maybe I should run for President.

I would like to see a show with a regular guy that has real job, coaches his kid's teams, has to finish the honey-do list, and has to stay close to home. You know the real world of hunting, It take me a week and half to get 3 days of hunting in. A show with guys that have to go beg for permission from a landowner, hunt small parcels because thats all they have, and jump at the chance to thwack a doe. How about showing somebody get bustedby big doe or winded every now and then. I find it hard to believe that never happens these guys.
Man that sounds like a show featuring me. :wink: I am available if anybody out there wants to make that show.
Well thats my .02, I have students entering my classroom, so I have to go. Planning period is over. Thats right, I am at work and not in the woods.:mad:

· Registered
112 Posts
I like to see the scouting/planning aspect of what goes into each hunt. Some of my favorite videos are the Drury Bros. "100% Fair Chase" series. Show me how and why you planted your plots where they are, where and why you chose to hang your stands where they are... basically everything from start to finish. I don't like the shows that just start out in the tree with a B&C buck 40 yards away, they kill it then go to the next guy... Also agree with the post about regular joes... public land hunts would be awesome... harvesting any deer, not just giant bucks is fine too! just my .02

· Banned
1,490 Posts
I love the Primos crew. They have fun and play around while filming, much like my mom and stepdad and I do. I don't like the serious wankers on most of the shows.

I would also like to see more doe's being shot. I realize that the big bucks is what draws people in on the videos, but we aren't teaching our kids the importance of herd managment and possible qdm techniques for them to practice down the road. We are just feeling their head with the thought that if it aint a monster buck, it ain't worth the time to shoot.:mad:

And like mentioned above, enough with the outfitter crap. I want to see people doing their own scouting, stand hanging, dragging etc. that 95% of us on AT have to go through. It's easy enough to go shoot something someone has picked out for you.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
A few main ones: Over the shoulder camera work is a must IMHO. Also haveing a cameraman, the Lone Wolf guy films himself A LOT and it just doesn't work. It makes for terrible viewing. Also a second camera, one that is pointed at the hunter, the other camera watching the animal, seeing the two views at the same time on the TV is great. No cuts aways, don't show the guy drawing his bow from the ground when the sun is out, but when the animal is shot it's dark/cloudy, etc. We aren't stupid. :rolleyes:

Lien2

· Registered
2,046 Posts
more does taken. humor i like as long as it isn't overwhelming. i like to see how rattled the hunter's get when they bust an animal (shaking, can't talk). i've had enough of the "look at this big boy" and "we've hunted so hard." i like david blanton because there are shows where he strikes out and they show that. these guys make it look like they kill every time they go out. it's good to see the "pro's" come out empty handed like most of us do.

· Registered
615 Posts
I like to see the actual tracking of the deer after the shot. Most of all the videos show them walk up the the animal, and it is all cleaned off sitting there nice and pretty.
You know they have already found it, checked it out, cleaned it up, and gone back to shoot a second tracking scene.

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I like to see the planning that goes into a hunt, successful or not.

I like when the sequence is real and natural rather than filled with cut-a-ways.

I like humor. Make the video like you are enjoying what you're doing rather than acting like everything is dead serious all the time.

Please don't overdo the product endorsements. Sponsors deserve their time but some vids overdo it......like you forget about the hunt altogether and the vid turns into a Gear Guide.

One thing I see a lot of on the Outdoor Channel (that I don't care for) is guided sequences where they show the target animal and then show the guide and hunter talking too loud, "sneaking" into position while making enough noise to make corn flakes sound quiet, all the while in full view of the animal. Come on! I just doesn't happen that way in real life.

I also like when the hunter is actually hunting rather than just following around behind some guide with his nose stuck up his butt and then pulling the trigger.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably be real good if you hunting show/video producers are reading this and taking notes!!:wink:

Get the picture! People are getting tired of the "assisted" hunts! Getting tired of seeing people step in and pull the trigger with very little work put into it.

Sponsors needed to be taking note too. Listen to what the buyers of your products are telling you! Especially when you decide to sponsor a TV show!

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
Personaly I hate the multi-camera shots from the tree....It's all to staged for me. Now I dont mind it the way Lee & Tiffany do it because they put a small camera on an arm pointed at them, then the camera man is running over the shoulder. I just hate staged shots. Over the shoulder is a must, I like seeing the animal & the shooter in the same frame. Honestly as much as I love whitetail hunting I kinda get tired of seeing it all the time on TV, I like more western hunts since I dont get to do that all the time, elk, mulies, pronghorn, stuff like that. I love watching spot n' stalk hunting.
For some reason I always enjoyed watching guys shoot 3-D too, like on the old Monster Buck vids....Plus they have to have fun while they are out there, that's part of the reason I like Realtree Roadtrips & the PRIMOS boys so much, they all have a blast cutting up and ragging on each other all the time.

· Registered
10,318 Posts
I would like to see a show with a regular guy that has real job, coaches his kid's teams, has to finish the honey-do list, and has to stay close to home. You know the real world of hunting, It take me a week and half to get 3 days of hunting in. A show with guys that have to go beg for permission from a landowner, hunt small parcels because thats all they have, and jump at the chance to thwack a doe.
I am in the middle of editing that exact hunting DVD...so we can count on you getting a copy when it is finished up this winter, right?:wink:

· Registered
1,759 Posts
I like humor. Make the video like you are enjoying what you're doing rather than acting like everything is dead serious all the time.
I wish I would have got this on video the other day but the cam was off at the time, anyway the guy I shooting with after sitting for so long stands up, I look down thinkin he sees something and he says, "my butt is killin me" my response was, "your face is killin me" hard to laugh quietly in the stand.

· Registered
26 Posts
I would really like for someone to do a show devoted to ONLY public land hunts. Apply for tags in several states, show their prep work and hopefully their success. Probably would be better to use several teams in order to insure success.

· Registered
2,991 Posts
My thoughts:

1. I agree with you all...it would be nice to see more DIY type-stuff, more "down home" style hunting. I like that stuff. Problem is...it's tough to fill a full season of TV shows with stuff like that. These TV hunters almost HAVE to go guided. You gotta have 10-12 (I don't know the exact numbers) good hunts per year for the cameras. Sometimes I don't think they have much of a "choice" with the position they're in.

2. I also agree with cutting out all the stuff that is obviously editing in for "effect." The guy drawing the bow when it's obviously after the fact, the hunters stalking in when again...after the fact, that sort of stuff. Again though, they gotta fill a half hour. It's either that or sponsorship stuff right?! Ha, ha...

· Registered
160 Posts
I can tell you one thing I have seen enough of, is these guys going to these high $$ guided places and "hunting hard" for 3 whole days and busting a B & C buck. I know for some species you have to travel and I can understand using a guide for Elk, Caribou, and such (not many of those here in OH), but Whitetail are everwhere. I know its an answer to a question you didn't ask, maybe I should run for President.

I would like to see a show with a regular guy that has real job, coaches his kid's teams, has to finish the honey-do list, and has to stay close to home. You know the real world of hunting, It take me a week and half to get 3 days of hunting in. A show with guys that have to go beg for permission from a landowner, hunt small parcels because thats all they have, and jump at the chance to thwack a doe. How about showing somebody get bustedby big doe or winded every now and then. I find it hard to believe that never happens these guys.
Man that sounds like a show featuring me. :wink: I am available if anybody out there wants to make that show.
Well thats my .02, I have students entering my classroom, so I have to go. Planning period is over. Thats right, I am at work and not in the woods.:mad:
Exactly!!

· Registered
160 Posts
I would really like for someone to do a show devoted to ONLY public land hunts. Apply for tags in several states, show their prep work and hopefully their success. Probably would be better to use several teams in order to insure success.
:darkbeer: for real

G

·
Fact of the matter is, if producers didn't go to outfitters or prime locations that have already been scouted, then you wouldn't have a 1/3rd of the videos that are out today. It takes TOO MUCH TIME to try and produce a video that way and in the end unless you just used your videos as a means of advertising like Primos then it wouldn't pay to make the thing.

Same goes for PUBLIC LAND hunts for deer. It would take way too much time to get enough kills to make a video.

Scouting, stand hanging, tracking, dragging... IT'S BORING!!! and even if some of us would like to see it, fact of the matter is we don't amount to nothing compared to the MILLIONS of folks who think it's boring. The research has already been done, focus groups consulted and the bigs boys know what the MAJORITY wants to see.

Not trying to bring ya'll down, just trying to give another angle from a producer stand point. I'm in the process of wrapping up a coyote hunting video right now and I had to do the same thing. Find out what the MAJORITY of people want, because you are not going to make everyone happy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.