Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fully admit to ignorance of bow issues. I have read as much as I can digest and am hoping this will work, As I wrote esrlier, 58 is pretty late to take up bow hunting, but I AM going to do it. Take a look at this set-up and see if there are any glaring errors.

Hoyt Ultra Sport set at 61 pounds and a 29" pull length. I am using Blackhawk Vapor 4000 shafts at 30 inches and a 85 grain Thunderhead broadhead with Blazer 2" vanes over wraps. I have no clue as to the velocity, but am hoping this set-up will suffice. If you have suggestions, I am all ears (eyes?).

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Are you hitting good groups at the range? Practice at the range with whatever you sit on to actually hunt. That's more important than velocity. A 20 feet per second difference doesn't mean much to a deer hit broadside through both lungs with a sharp broadhead.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Practice is the name of the game. I am just not sure of the spline/velocity/head weight relationship. I have tried to tune it and it does shoot to about 2 1/2 inch groups at 20 yards. 30 yards opens up to about 4-5 inches and unless I get it under three I will not take those shots. Getting a new Sword Twilight Hunter set up today and will have three weeks to get as ready as I will be this year.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you shot the thunderheads yet or are you still shooting field points? You may find that the 2" vane is not enough to stabalize the arrow. The owner of our local archery shop has been doing some testing with a Bowtech bow (chrono 328 fps) and he is having issues with the 2" Blazers. He switched to 4" vanes and everything is cool. If you are having issues with the grouping of the broadheads you could always try spitfires or some mechanical head. Even Sonic's might help.

Of course it all depends upon the speed and your form.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
mnarcher said:
Have you shot the thunderheads yet or are you still shooting field points? You may find that the 2" vane is not enough to stabalize the arrow. The owner of our local archery shop has been doing some testing with a Bowtech bow (chrono 328 fps) and he is having issues with the 2" Blazers. He switched to 4" vanes and everything is cool. If you are having issues with the grouping of the broadheads you could always try spitfires or some mechanical head. Even Sonic's might help.

Of course it all depends upon the speed and your form.

Just my .02.

i shoot blazers on an arrow @319.. shoots fine
same arrow with new g-5 strikers shoots EXACT same if not better then feild points

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
boomersooner78 said:
your set up will do just fine but you do need to practice with your broadheads

Exactly! Provided your broadheads are hitting where you aim out to your ethical range, then you have more than enough bow to get through a deer ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts