Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question related to ilf Limb Length. It's a bit of a long story but the gist of it is this.

I recently purchased a riser advertised as 17". To that I mated a set of medium limbs expecting to have a 60" bow. I ordered a 60" string which measured about 57" as per amo or ata standard. So far so good.

Strung it up and the brace height was way low. Over a inch low to my memory. I added maybe 30 twists to the string to increase the brace height to just inside the recommended range ( I could add more twists to get in to the center of the recommended range). At this point I remove the string and measure it at 55.5"....

Something seems amiss here. Using the amo standard of string Length + 3" = amo lenght my measurements lead me to wonder if I have short limbs mismarked as mediums. 55.5+3=58.5 which is more in line with a 58" bow than a 60 considering I could still shorten the string to get into the recommended brace height range.

Does it matter? Not that much probably. I draw 29" so it stacks a bit or maybe that's in my head. Just bugging me not knowing why things don't add up. The bow also looks short next to a bow I know to be 60".

My last attempt to figure this out was to disassemble the bow and measure from Limb tip to Limb butt in a tight straight line ( not along contour) which gave me 22 3/8" Limb lenght. I can't find any specs from the manufacturer. I did find specs on the sky Archery page for their limbs. Sky limbs measure 23" short, 24" long, 25" medium. My limbs are not sky limbs so maybe the comparison is flawed.

I've contacted the manufacturer and they are sending me a new string which is swell but isn't going to change anything or help most likely. I'll twist that up to 55.5" and there I'll be.. Back where I began scratching my head with 2 55.5" strings. In all seriousness though sometimes you just need to roll with it, they are trying to help and that means something to me. I may even learn something because I'm new to traditional Archery.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice. Chris

·
Registered
304 Posts
the long ILF limbs I build are 25" from limb butt to string groove, following the limb curves.. the shorts I build are 23"..so mediums should be 24" end of limb butt to string nock..just like Skys. I have two 17" risers from different manufactures and they are about 1" different lengths.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just roughly measured 2 strings on two different set ups.. first is a set of ILF longs on a Morrision 17" Phoenix2 riser, string is close to 59" long.. The other is a Morrision Phoenix 13" riser with ILF long limbs, string is aprox 55 inch long.. so I would assume that I would need a 57" string if I had medium limbs on the 17" riser..and 55" string if I had short limbs on the 17" riser..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Robert. I think that sort of corroborates what I was thinking. I'll work with the manufacturer to square it up. I re-read my post and it sounded kind of petty at the end which I wish I could edit out because I do know that they are looking into it with me. I just wanted some independent advice because I could have been thinking about it wrong. Appreciate the info.
-Best

1 - 5 of 5 Posts